27 replies to this topic

#1 Dragon Ninja

Dragon Ninja

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:46 PM

I know Final Fight uses this screensize. Is it available anywhere? Not on Fancy Xbox for one thing.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Likklebaer

Likklebaer

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:16 PM

Most Capcom CPS games have a video output of 384x224. But that's intended to be stretched to fill a standard 4:3 display. So technically CoinOPS is showing things as they should be.

#3 Dragon Ninja

Dragon Ninja

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:20 PM

Thanks for your help. But what screensize should be used for that particular game then?

#4 FrankMorris

FrankMorris

X-S Senior Member

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 31 July 2009 - 11:26 PM

If you want it 'pixel-perfect':

3x for 720p (1152x672 px)
1x for 480i/p (384x224 px)

#5 Likklebaer

Likklebaer

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 01:46 AM

Those 'pixel-perfect' settings will not display things the way the original arcade machine did. They'll make the video appear vertically squashed. Use linear filtering and any settings with a 4:3 ratio.

#6 FrankMorris

FrankMorris

X-S Senior Member

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE(Likklebaer @ Aug 1 2009, 03:46 AM) View Post
Those 'pixel-perfect' settings will not display things the way the original arcade machine did. They'll make the video appear vertically squashed.
True, that's why I said 'if' earlier. Obviously Dragon Ninja is looking 'pixel-pefect' setting cause he mentioned Fancy Xbox.

@DN, don't ask how to convert the values to ScreenUsage_X/Y values. smile.gif

#7 Dragon Ninja

Dragon Ninja

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:36 PM

Why not?

#8 Cospefogo

Cospefogo

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 02 August 2009 - 02:59 PM

Hey guys,

384x224 will never be able to be "PIXEL PERFECT" on a standard 4:3 SD screen.
It is pretty simple, you guys just need to do the math:

SD TV = 640x480
384x224 x 2 (All the CPSX games) = 768x448

The HEIGHT is fine!
But the width, not.. it is too wide!
768 - 640 = 128 pixels will be lost, on width, out of the screen... simple cropped out.

Well... if you really want to have the games setup on this method, there is a way, but
you will need to let 64 pixels on each side OUT OF THE VISIBLE SCREEN AREA.
This is the only path to go.

For this screensize the best method is still to keep using linear filtering and adjusting
the size to any nice value you want. Nothing will be cropped out.

Best,
Cospefogo.

#9 FrankMorris

FrankMorris

X-S Senior Member

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 05:36 PM

Yeah 1x is the only way to keep it pixel-perfect on SD resolution.
Hey Cos, how do you convert the px sizes to ScreenUsage_X/Y values?

QUOTE(Cospefogo @ Aug 2 2009, 04:59 PM) View Post
For this screensize the best method is still to keep using linear filtering and adjusting
the size to any nice value you want. Nothing will be cropped out.
For this screensize could be better to buy an HDTV and play it 3x. (1152x672 px) tongue.gif wink.gif

#10 Cospefogo

Cospefogo

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 06:12 PM

QUOTE(FrankMorris @ Aug 2 2009, 01:36 PM) View Post

Yeah 1x is the only way to keep it pixel-perfect on SD resolution.
Hey Cos, how do you convert the px sizes to ScreenUsage_X/Y values?

For this screensize could be better to buy an HDTV and play it 3x. (1152x672 px) tongue.gif wink.gif

Hey Franky,
For SD TV?

It is just a simple X2 multiplication... but of course, this does not work for CoinOPS and ZSnesXbox,
since they handle the "numbers" on a different way. BP told me that in CoinOPS I just needed to do
the "right math", and he even teach me some stuff... but in the end, the simple "right math" gives
me almost correct results on CoinOPS. I mean... I get real closer to the correct sizes, but I end needing
to adjust everything by eye, on a trial and error operation.

And hell yeah... I think I will need a 720p HDTV in the future.
There is no way to stay away too much longer.

Best regards, Franky!
Cospefogo.

#11 Likklebaer

Likklebaer

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:00 PM

MAMEoX (and so I'm guessing CoinOPS too) uses decimal percentage values in its ini file to set the screen size. The X value is a decimalised percentage of 640 and the Y value is a decimalised percentage of 480.

So you just divide the size you want by either 640 or 480 and that will give you the value to enter. So, for example, to set a vertical size of 448 you would do 448/480=0.933333 and enter 0.933333 in the MAMEoX ini file.

#12 Cospefogo

Cospefogo

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:12 PM

QUOTE(Likklebaer @ Aug 2 2009, 04:00 PM) View Post

MAMEoX (and so I'm guessing CoinOPS too) uses decimal percentage values in its ini file to set the screen size. The X value is a decimalised percentage of 640 and the Y value is a decimalised percentage of 480.

So you just divide the size you want by either 640 or 480 and that will give you the value to enter. So, for example, to set a vertical size of 448 you would do 448/480=0.933333 and enter 0.933333 in the MAMEoX ini file.

Exaclty!!!
This is the real truth...
But not worked flawlessly for me!
Believe me!

Sometimes I did try, for example, 0.933333 and - when inspected in the running game - still there was a very one single distortion, a small one... and I needed to "refine" the setup by adjusting by hand, in the emulator option, changing from the math result 0.9333333 to 0.9333334, 0.933332 or something like that (random number values just to illustrate).

CoinOPS could be much more easy to adjust if it could use the XPORT method of adjustment! I mean - to be able to adjust the screen WHILE INSIDE A GAME, with the game screen running. This saves a lot of trouble. On the actual method you have just a damn black screen to adjust the size, no NUMBERS! No guides, no nothing! And you need to enter the game, test, exit the game, config, enter the game again, yadda yadda yadda.

Cheers,
Cospefogo.

#13 Likklebaer

Likklebaer

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:17 AM

Agreed. It would be great to have XPort's system of screen resizing as standard across all emulators. It can be quite frustrating when you have to judge things by hand with no OSD to help. Zsnexbox is by far the worst since it teases you with numbers that don't even mean anything! tongue.gif

My interest in screen resizing is slightly different though in that I don't go for correct aspect ratios. I like my emulators to look as close as possible to how the original console would look if it were plugged into my TV. Vertically it's usually just double the original resolution as with your 'pixel perfect' settings, but horizontally the numbers vary wildly.

I wish I owned more original systems so that I could get an accurate list of values for each, but I think I'm pretty close on all of them. Maybe I'll make a post about it one day. happy.gif

#14 Dragon Ninja

Dragon Ninja

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:08 AM

What would 1152x672 be in ScreenUsage_X/Y and ScreenPos_X values?

Edited by Dragon Ninja, 03 August 2009 - 11:11 AM.

#15 BritneysPAIRS

BritneysPAIRS

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:33 AM

sorry guys make a patch its simple to achieve just not in my interest as you have to remember 720p NTSC and PAL resolutions as they arnt the same xpercentagewise etc... plus it rounds down to 2 characters

Patch is welcome and I will add a hidden setting for it. For me I set it up on my HDTV it has simple 2x filtering for HD and it looks great

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users