o The Drizzle o

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:49 AM

Well... I have a '99 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe... the sound system... blows.
i need to replace the speakers cause theyre all blown so im just gonna end up going all out and get a new headunit, speakers all around (2 in the doors, 2 in the back) and subs and an amp.
any pointers on which brands are good and are recomended? budget i dont really need to worry about, ill probably buy a thing at a time (like front speakers, then back, then head unit, then subs and amp etc)...just as long as the total isnt like $1500 ha

#2 _GhOsT_

_GhOsT_

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:38 AM

im in the same boat as you

im lookin at kenwood head units right now

#3 SC10-E

SC10-E

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Interests:PC Building, Xbox and wii, movies, music, other media
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 01 August 2009 - 07:29 PM

What genres do you listen to?

#4 o The Drizzle o

o The Drizzle o

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 10:39 PM

Rock.
Metal.
etc..

Korn, Deftones, Bullet for my Valentine, etc

#5 SC10-E

SC10-E

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Interests:PC Building, Xbox and wii, movies, music, other media
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:23 PM

Then you probably dont need a really really nice sub like I would want for my techno jams lol. Make sure you get good tweeters and all that for good highs and mids...I'm not a brnad expert but both of my parents' cars have Infinity systems and both sound good.

#6 o The Drizzle o

o The Drizzle o

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:44 AM

oh dont worry... i like techno and house music too. Daft Punk is one of my favorite groups

Edited by o The Drizzle o, 03 August 2009 - 12:45 AM.

#7 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,465 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:37 PM

my opinions...
If you want a complete DVD/NAV headunit then buy Kenwood
If you just want a CD player/iPod unit then buy Alpine

if you just want something cheap that makes a lot of power then pioneer

don't go by specs and features... what makes a "good" head unit from a "bad" head unit is how long it stands up over time... even a low end Alpine will outlast your car, you'll rarely get pissed off at the interface and even after years of use it wont eat your CDs and it will sound great the whole time... meanwhile a high end Sony or Jenson will likely have software bugs that will start pissing you off after the first week of use, they'll probably stop working completely after a year or two and if they do last that long they'll have some other kind of failure along the way (broken buttons, disc feeding mechanism, fan bearing failing, etc. etc. etc.)

Alpines sound awesome and interms of features/ease of use their CD/MP3 units are bar-none the best.... but their LCD units tend to be over priced and not work as nicely as the other stuff out there (I was woefully disappointed with their (Wxxx series DVD/NAV units) .. meanwhile Kenwood makes some above average sounding CD/MP3 head units but they're probably the best in terms of ease of use/features when it comes to the flip out/double din LCD units.

For speakers I'm partial to Alpine also, but MB Quart and JL Audio usually sound pretty good. To do it right go with components that have a legit crossover network. For cheap power Extreme Dimension are good.

Different speakers have different tonalities you should go to a store and listen, bring a CD with you (not your ipod an actual goddamn cd... and not one that's got reburned mp3s... a real MFing CD!!!).

When looking at power ratings RMS Wattage is the only number that matters.

if using an external amp I prefer Alpine again

for subwoofers go with 2+ 10" woofers, either alpine or rockford fosgate. Sealed enclosure...

in my experience Sony, Kicker, Jenson, etc. typically blow but people love to use them anyway.

pyle, pyramid, legacy, etc. are all brands you should avoid like the plague.

use a 4x shielded set of pre-amp wires, run them on the opposite of of the car from where you run your power wires.

http://onlinecarstereo.com/ is a good reliable place to buy stuff...

Crutchfield has probably the best customer service in the industry though (their prices have been a bit better as of late also)

of course there are deals to be had on ebay too.

------------
ubernewb is a pro installer... he knows his shit inside and out and on the occasion that I ask him for advice on something he's always led me in the right direction...

get his advice and if he contradicts anything I've said here... take his advice over mine laugh.gif

Edited by twistedsymphony, 03 August 2009 - 06:05 PM.

#8 o The Drizzle o

o The Drizzle o

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:59 PM

should i do 2 10's or 2 12's?
im think rockford punch stage 2s...

#9 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderator
  • 10,465 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.

Posted 04 August 2009 - 03:00 PM

do you want strong accurate punchy bass, or loud deep sloppy bass?

#10 o The Drizzle o

o The Drizzle o

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:42 PM

well since you said it like that... the sloppy part just makes the 12s sound bad ha

#11 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderator
  • 10,465 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:14 PM

12s are usually what people go for if they want to turn heads at stop lights, 10s are usually what people go for if they want their music to sound accurate.

really high quality 12s with some really good amps behind them can be as tight as some middle of the road 10s.

even still most competition system I've seen go with 10s... and lots of them.

one of the guys local to me has an award winning bass setup (bass drags) and he's got twelve 10" subs... so what does that tell you?

#12 lostboyz

lostboyz

Mr. Knowitall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:32 AM

just get one (as if you could fit 2) of these guys
IPB Image

problem solved

#13 BruceSmith

BruceSmith

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 05:10 AM

Hey guys!
I don't get you guys exactly you talked about the whole system.
From you talk I just came to know that buy Alpine speakers and amp. I was planning to install the new Kenwood system in my car.
Twistedsymphony you really got a good knowledge about the system. I just need little help for buying new system for my car.
I usually listen Rock, Metal and classical, with the help of CD/MP3. All I need to know is which system is best for me and from where to buy?

#14 Dark Mod

Dark Mod

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Interests:Electronic services and upgrades
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:10 AM

dude, if you want to sound really good and extremely loud and clear to all your techno, rock, dancehall and what not, try this if you want:

Mid-heights: RCF N850 compression drivers with 6x6 flares

Midbass: RCFL10-568H....now these are 10 inches so you have to make a custom backdash for those and for the compression drivers for it to fit in your car

Subwoofers: either you can get the rockford fosgate P3 or the T1 if you are into really meaty basslines

Amplifiers....:mids: use the hifonics zeus or the rockford 1000 watts for channel amp (ensure you use a "concrete type resistor" and a condensor (non polarized) for the compression drivers to prevent them from frying) use both of them together on the positive side.

bass amp: my personal favorite for the rockford subs, i'll recommend the 1200 watt hifonics brutus amp

crossover: audio control

preamp: latest clarion preamp

once you have those combinations and it is tuned properly, you will have the loudest, most high performing sound quality car in your area.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users