6 replies to this topic

#1 willie19a

willie19a

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:37 AM

I dont know if this can already be done but my idea was, get a program running on the xbox so that whenever you log in and have a connection to the net, it would load up you drive folders(like when your browsing your files using file explorer) on the left would be your drive and on the right there would be a list of people who were logged on aswell, when you click on a user on the right it allows access to there games, homebrew games, applications, emulators and music folders, but it asks the person first if access is allowed by the user who is requesting, if they say yes, then they are able to access these folders. once in the folders you can copy whatever you want onto your harddrive, if they say no then it should load back onto the original screen with the list of users online on the right and your xbox on the left. It needs to be that only certain folders are available so that you dont get silly people messing up other peoples xbox. Also it should be noted that this would be intentially for the transfer of homebrew apps and homebrew games, i in no way nitend it for purley transferring copyrighted material!!!! JUST BUY THE GAME!!!!! lol but as the copyright laww says, you may have it on your xbox aslong as you have the original game, so this would also help people who have the original game but dont have the facility to back up there game, i.e if there game disc is wrecked then this wud come in handy. As i said before i dont know if this has been done or if infact it can be done but if it can then im willing to spend the time and effort to get it going, would also come in handy for the 360 aswell, but lets just stick to the original xbox for now. any1 know how i could go about starting this project??

#2 hellknight

hellknight

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Video Games
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:35 AM

I don't know how you would go about doing this but there are plenty of dashboards that can FTP between xboxs on your LAN (Unleashx, XBMC) but I don't think they can do it over the internet

#3 2 Bunny

2 Bunny

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:29 AM

QUOTE(hellknight @ Aug 13 2009, 02:35 AM) View Post
I don't know how you would go about doing this but there are plenty of dashboards that can FTP between xboxs on your LAN (Unleashx, XBMC) but I don't think they can do it over the internet

Does the xBox even have FTP client built in as one of the features in the xBox Media Center?

- 2 Bunny

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:03 PM

XBMC and UnleashX both have inbuilt FTP clients. The UnleashX one is accessed from file manager (press the white button and scroll down to the bottom of the list), for XBMC you add a source using FTP as the protocol. As well as allowing you to copy files, XBMC will also play media files directly from an FTP source.

#5 2 Bunny

2 Bunny

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Oct 21 2009, 07:03 AM) View Post
XBMC and UnleashX both have inbuilt FTP clients. The UnleashX one is accessed from file manager (press the white button and scroll down to the bottom of the list), for XBMC you add a source using FTP as the protocol. As well as allowing you to copy files, XBMC will also play media files directly from an FTP source.

So on the client for the xBox Media Center, how do you make it do that that though?

- 2 Bunny

#6 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 24 October 2009 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Oct 21 2009, 12:03 PM) View Post
for XBMC you add a source using FTP as the protocol.

#7 2 Bunny

2 Bunny

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Oct 24 2009, 05:34 PM) View Post

All right, I just tried it, and I got it to work! I can now FTP from my music player using the Mocha FTP server. A bit slow, but it beats USB which for my player is really flaky. Any idea why, by the way? Is it because it cannot power it, or what? I mean, I can plug it in, and it'll connect and register. I can then leave it connected for as long as I want, but when I try to access my music folder, it will start disconnecting, I got a song started once and that is the best I've done yet. I've tried with and without the hub, same thing happens.

- 2 Bunny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users