Photo

[tutorial] Internal Memory Unit On Old Xboxs.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 majinsoftware

majinsoftware

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:35 AM

Well I did this awhile ago on another xbox but never wrote a tutorial just posted to ask questions.
So here the tutorial is.

First off, This will void your xbox warranty and if you stuff anything up its your own fault and I take no responsibility. These instructions and pictures are to be used as a guide only.
If you agree to that now open up your xbox and a memory unit (256/512mb doesnt matter) Theres lots of instructions for this around.

Next you will need a few tools.
Soldering iron
5 pieces of small wire about 20cm long (got mine out of a usb cable)
Solder
Electrical tape.

IPB Image

Next you want to strip off the plug on the memory unit. I do this by taking wire cutters and cutting the legs.
The legs on the side you cant get at but you can just pull them off the plastic plug.
Then you can pull the plastic bit off its only got some weak glue and two plastic legs on the bottom.

Here is a pin out once the plug is removed.
IPB Image
You can ether trim down the rest of the metal legs or de solder them.

Next you want to attach the 5 wires. First off bride all the earth's. Two pins on each side you can just use solder to bride them. Then take one of your 5 wires and solder it to one side of the bridged earth's.
Trim it down a bit so its not to long and solder the other side to the bridged earth's.

Now solder the rest take note of wire colours if you are using different coloured wires, This just makes it easier when soldering to mother board. You only need to use 1 wire for the earth to the mother board since they are all bridged together.

IPB Image

Once that's done put some electrical tape around the memory unit, (its best if you cover the whole thing so it wont short out on the xbox and holds the wires in place better I only had a little bit of tape left so that's why I didn't use much).

IPB Image

Now here is the pin out for the motherboard side.
Its easy to tell which one is the 3.3v due to it have a little resistor thing, The out side pins are earth's

IPB Image

Now put the wires through the hole and solder them to the correct pins, If you have flux use it these points can be hard to get solder to stick to.
How I do it is put some extra solder on the pins then see if I can scrape it off with a finger nail. (That it is lead free solder you will need to hold your soldering iron on it longer to get the stuff on the motherboard to melt and join with your added solder.)

Then add some solder to the wire and its quite easy from there. Mine isn't the cleanest job but it works.

IPB Image

Now check that none of the points are joined so they don't short out.
Now put some tape down over the soldered points so it doesnt short out on the xbox case. Also good idea to tape the wires coming in the hole once you have adjusted them so there isnt to much slack. This will stop any pull on your solder points.

Didnt take a pic since its easy enough to under stand.

Now back to the top side. make sure the wires are run in a good place to stop them touching the heat sink. You dont want that to melt the wires coating and short them. I put them between a cap and the memory unit plug seems to work good holding them in place.

Now get some double sided tape or fold some electrical tape over on its self and stick the memory unit to the hdd plug.

IPB Image

Now one last check for anything shorting before you carefully put it back in its metal case.
plug the fan and ring of light board back in and power on test it. (don't leave it running to long with out shroud)

Basically a good test is go to settings/memory then format the device. If that works then it should work for reading and writing saves.

IPB Image

(Iv renamed my memory unit to Internal)
If it isn't working check back over your wires and solder points.

Now stick the short screws back in to hold the mother board in place, And start to reassemble the xbox.
When you come to screwing the top on with the long screws remember not to put one in the hole with the memory unit wires.

IPB Image

And that's that you have your self a xbox with internal memory unit.
If you stick a memory card in slot B (the one the internal is soldered to) it defaults to the one that responds fastest. (one in the slot due to no lag from the longer wires).
But its best just not to use the slot I don't know the long term impact from having 2 memory units getting powered from same plug, could burn something out.

#2 TK-101

TK-101

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 08 August 2009 - 01:14 PM

Great tutorial. biggrin.gif

Edited by TK-101, 08 August 2009 - 01:15 PM.

#3 Geen Rommel

Geen Rommel

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:54 AM

Pro:
  • You have an xbox 360 with internal memory card
Cons:
  • You can't bring your saves with you to play on another xbox 360
  • You void the warranty
  • You have to gut out the xbox 360 and solder the wires in place
  • You still have to buy an Xbox 360 MU first and strip it
  • You can't use the port where the unit is soldered to
Why would you want to do this?

Edited by Geen Rommel, 28 August 2010 - 08:56 AM.

#4 infernomoddingcase

infernomoddingcase

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 11:11 AM

QUOTE(Geen Rommel @ Aug 28 2010, 09:54 AM) View Post

Pro:
  • You have an xbox 360 with internal memory card
Cons:
  • You can't bring your saves with you to play on another xbox 360
  • You void the warranty
  • You have to gut out the xbox 360 and solder the wires in place
  • You still have to buy an Xbox 360 MU first and strip it
  • You can't use the port where the unit is soldered to
Why would you want to do this?

I think is not a good idea be polemic or talk negative about one idea/work for the xbox360
If you don't like or not want do,just not do it and not post..

This guy hav find a way for put memory in the xbox360,i think this is so good,and him also SHARE all him know whit the community whitout ask money or profit,i respect him.

and reason for use it can be:
1) Becouse someone just like hav internal memory,estetic better and can fix problem where people can't put the external mu if t hey hav space problem.
2) People are not FORCED to do this, the scene just share the idea work,the people choise if they want do it or not..
3) If someone hav the mu port broken but don't hav pieces for change it,can do this metod as an alternative.
1000 other reason for do this,i think,important the scene SHARE all this idea,then people do it or not is not important.

Can be one day,1 stupid think like this... whit fortune...can open the xbox360 to the complete hacking (like as jtag ecc.)
but if people never share they ideas only coz scared someone tell "why i need do this?" can be the scene never go next in this.

Is good that people study and make experiment in all we can do for know new work that we can do in the xbox360

Edited by infernomoddingcase, 28 August 2010 - 11:14 AM.

#5 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,778 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 29 August 2010 - 12:13 AM

You can't bring your saves with you to play on another xbox 360 - You can transfer the saves to another memory card via the other memory card slot, or put them on the HDD and take them, they're not stuck on the 360 doing this.

You void the warranty - That's pointed out in bold in the very first post, and anyone doing it should know it's on them as to whatever happens to the 360 after that, again no one is being forced to try any of this.

You have to gut out the xbox 360 and solder the wires in place - Not if they solder to alternate spots on the board, which aren't pointed out here, but they do exist.

You still have to buy an Xbox 360 MU first and strip it - If you can afford a 360 to tear apart and ahve the tools too solder in it then a MU isn't that big of a deal to pay for and tear apart

You can't use the port where the unit is soldered to - One probably wouldn't want to if doing this anyway.

This thread is also a year old. Look before posting unless you have something constructive to add to the thread or a legitimate question about it, and this really wasn't.

Closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users