49 replies to this topic

#1 Bandit5317

Bandit5317

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:32 PM

This is yet another shrunken Xbox inspired by ghostavel's awesome mini.

Dimensions:
23.5 x 21.65 x 2.5 cm

Some Specs:
320 GB 2.5" HDD
PW-200-V PSU
TSOP flashed with iND-BIOS
v1.4 motherboard

My goal with this project was to make a Xbox which was 1" thick. After 6 months of on and off work, this is the result:

IPB Image

The case is made out of 1/8" thick (3mm) polycarbonate and consists of 4 panels. 3 of the panels were held together with epoxy and plastic welder to form the base. The top panel is supported by 4 posts which it screws into. All of the panels were made with the usual tools, so it doesn't quite have that laser-cut precision, but I think it came out alright.

IPB Image

Bondo was used to fill in any gaps between the base panels and the whole thing was sprayed with a few coats of primer and Krylon Fusion. Here are some pics of the motherboard and components:

IPB Image

Since the case itself accounted for 1/4" of thickness, the motherboard and the rest of the components had to be 3/4" thick or thinner. One of the problems that I ran into while trying to do this was the IDE cable. I just didn't have the room to fold the cable to make the 90* turn. It may have only added 1/16", but that was too much, so I rewired it with a 90* turn.

IPB Image

Here are some comparison pics of it next to a standard Xbox:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

The standard Xbox case is about 3.5" tall.

IPB Image

Edited 18/8/09 by deadparrot - fixed your images!

Edited by deadparrot, 18 August 2009 - 11:06 AM.

#2 annell

annell

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:16 PM

Nice work! cool.gif

Edited by annell, 13 August 2009 - 08:24 PM.

#3 MasterGouken

MasterGouken

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:Hardware mods mainly and of course, gaming!
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:25 PM

Ok in comparison mine looks actually very pathetic and poor. Thanks for that, lol.
Seriously though amazing work, well done. What are your temps like having it that slim? Did you have any problems getting the psu to work at all?
Congrats on the workmanship, very neat and very slim!

Edited by MasterGouken, 13 August 2009 - 08:26 PM.

#4 pattythefatty

pattythefatty

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:45 PM

nice work.
Does it have built in wireless? Or DVD Dongle? can we see picks of the unit assembled but with the lid off, I would like to see how you fit the parts in there, like the power button and usb ports.
thanks,
PTF

#5 Bandit5317

Bandit5317

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE(MasterGouken @ Aug 13 2009, 03:25 PM) View Post

Ok in comparison mine looks actually very pathetic and poor. Thanks for that, lol.
Seriously though amazing work, well done. What are your temps like having it that slim? Did you have any problems getting the psu to work at all?
Congrats on the workmanship, very neat and very slim!

Thanks laugh.gif . Mine may be thinner, but yours really does look much more professional. I can't beat that perfect laser-cut look that it has. Predictably, it doesn't exactly run cool. The CPU idles at 100*F and the GPU at 120*F, even with the GPU heatsink fan running at 12v. In games the CPU runs around 130*F and the GPU hits 140*F. Pretty toasty, but I've heard of people getting away with considerably higher. The HDD is somewhat cooled by the GPU fan. Initially, I had problems getting the Xbox's PS_On signal to trip the transistor and get the PSU to turn on. Turns out that I was just using a resistor with a way too high Ohm rating. It was 100k Ohm, but it worked fine when I switched it to 10k Ohm. I'm using two regulators to bump down the standby voltage and PS_Ok to 3.3v.

QUOTE(pattythefatty @ Aug 13 2009, 03:45 PM) View Post

nice work.
Does it have built in wireless? Or DVD Dongle? can we see picks of the unit assembled but with the lid off, I would like to see how you fit the parts in there, like the power button and usb ports.
thanks,
PTF

Wireless LAN or controller? I honestly don't think there is enough room in it for the wireless bridge, but I might put a wireless controller dongle in there. That's why I left two of the controller ports free. I don't have a DVD playback kit and if I did I would just use it on my other 'box. Gotta love how these things are dirt cheap laugh.gif . Here is a pic of it running open:

IPB Image

#6 Dee$

Dee$

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:20 PM

Now that's what I call slim blink.gif
Excellent mod. Wish I had your skills at bending and bonding polycarbonate.

Edited by Dee$, 13 August 2009 - 09:22 PM.

#7 Joes2Silly

Joes2Silly

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:02 PM

You just set the bar higher for those making a xbox slim, nice work!

#8 bc54

bc54

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:04 PM

that is the easily the best looking case mod i have ever seen. although, those temps arnt the best... i dont think it makes much of a difference, i think most of my xboxes when they are first modded run at similiar temps. but then i just crank the fan up to 40% and its all good.

really great job. i am seriously jealous.

#9 Nextelhalo

Nextelhalo

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:36 PM

I have to agree with everyone here, that shit is badass!!!!
A friend of mine tried to make the slimmest box possible
and this will blow him away and piss him off.......i cant wait. smile.gif

I wonder what Nic CC will say?

Edited by Nextelhalo, 13 August 2009 - 10:43 PM.

#10 Bandit5317

Bandit5317

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:55 PM

Thanks everyone smile.gif .
QUOTE(bc54 @ Aug 13 2009, 05:04 PM) View Post

that is the easily the best looking case mod i have ever seen. although, those temps arnt the best... i dont think it makes much of a difference, i think most of my xboxes when they are first modded run at similiar temps. but then i just crank the fan up to 40% and its all good.

really great job. i am seriously jealous.

Right now I have the CPU fan speed turned up in XBMC, but it goes back down to stock when playing games or emulators. It still doesn't even get close to overheating at stock speed, but if it ever becomes a problem then I'll either hard wire it at a higher voltage or reflash the TSOP with the fan speed set higher in the BIOS.

#11 NiC_CC

NiC_CC

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 14 August 2009 - 12:45 AM

I will have to say damn... I love how you arranged everything wink.gif Without taking the time to measure my box I would have to say we either match or you have me beat. But, I dare say mine has better style considering I kept the stock look...

More or less though, this is what I get for taking over 3 years to complete a project. haha

kudos on the great work.

Edited by NiC_CC, 14 August 2009 - 12:46 AM.

#12 event horizon

event horizon

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:00 AM

Wow at the retail box in comparison to the micro case, nice work!

#13 Bandit5317

Bandit5317

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE(NiC_CC @ Aug 13 2009, 07:45 PM) View Post

I will have to say damn... I love how you arranged everything wink.gif Without taking the time to measure my box I would have to say we either match or you have me beat. But, I dare say mine has better style considering I kept the stock look...

More or less though, this is what I get for taking over 3 years to complete a project. haha

kudos on the great work.

I do like how you kept the whole Xbox feel with your case. I considered going that route, but after looking through your thread, I decided it would be much harder to use the original case than to just build a new one.

#14 GoTeamScotch

GoTeamScotch

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 435 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 15 August 2009 - 03:27 AM

That is incredible! I doubt it can get any smaller than that.

Its make me wonder again why microsoft didn't revive the xbox by making a slim version like Sony did with the ps2.

Astounding work there patty. I like how you just used USB ports in the front. Maybe you should throw in a hardwired dongle, it wouldn't be that difficult to do.

If you don't like the fan speed going back down in games, just change the config in ind-bios. I'm not sure about other versions but iND-Bios 5003 uses an editable configuration file stored @ C. Just up the fan speed.
I love it man. very stylish

#15 Zebedee Rocks

Zebedee Rocks

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:03 AM

That is Stupendous, an incredible job. I'm looking forward to something similar next summer, till then I shall just drool biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users