#16 Bandit5317

Bandit5317

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:36 AM

QUOTE(GoTeamScotch @ Aug 14 2009, 10:27 PM) View Post

That is incredible! I doubt it can get any smaller than that.

Its make me wonder again why microsoft didn't revive the xbox by making a slim version like Sony did with the ps2.

Astounding work there patty. I like how you just used USB ports in the front. Maybe you should throw in a hardwired dongle, it wouldn't be that difficult to do.

If you don't like the fan speed going back down in games, just change the config in ind-bios. I'm not sure about other versions but iND-Bios 5003 uses an editable configuration file stored @ C. Just up the fan speed.
I love it man. very stylish

Thanks GoTeamScotch smile.gif . I had heard something about that .cfg file before, but forgot about it after I flashed it. I was running it without any ind-bios.cfg file, but I just copied one over with the updated settings and now it works perfectly. Not that I like to nitpick, but it's Bandit, not Patty laugh.gif .

#17 Knocks

Knocks

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 12:33 AM

It's gorgeous. You should eBay a few (if you have the desire to make more).

You don't own a DVD dongle--does that mean you don't use XBMC? If I went this route, I would need to keep two controller ports for 2-player games, plus a dongle for XBMC.

#18 punktilend

punktilend

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:good seller/repair: BIMPtacular(Wii d2b chip cut pin repair)
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 16 August 2009 - 01:23 AM

wow fantastic job, makes me want to go back to the garage and start building again.

#19 Lamer123

Lamer123

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Interests:Games
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 August 2009 - 03:05 AM

Amazing mod man

Congrats on making engadget!!

#20 sunami88

sunami88

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 August 2009 - 06:02 AM

I... I... I'm speechless. Amazing, simply amazing.

#21 cooljerk_dv

cooljerk_dv

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 August 2009 - 06:25 AM

thats awesome; i would love to buy a kit if you ever wanted to sell.

perhaps if i get time someday; i will attempt to slim mod a box myself

#22 el12

el12

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:42 AM

What about using aluminum for the case it will help at dissipating the heat

#23 cooljerk_dv

cooljerk_dv

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 August 2009 - 09:44 AM

also curious, what fan/heatsinks are those on the gpu & cpu?

#24 Jakious

Jakious

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 12:11 PM

This is really an excellent job. As a newbie to the forum, I have some questions that I hope will not be too naive. I have just bought a PC ITX case to smarten up my softmodded XMBC Xbox and would appreciate your comments on the following.

1. What happened to the DVD drive? I understand that the Xbox will not boot without the DVD drive connected. I do not need the drive so if there is a simple way to bypass the check, I would like to know.

2. Can you tell us what fans you used and how you connected them? I expect that they are chained into the HDD power, but confirmation would be good.

3. Did you need to do anything with the Xbox PSU? From the pics, you seem to have placed it on top of the m'board but I am sure that there is more to it than that.

Thanks in anticipation.

Jakious.

#25 StrayS2k

StrayS2k

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 01:38 PM

Pretty sweet.

Cooling solution needs serious improvement- Is that a modified shuttle case?

No doubt those fans run at an obnoxious 6K rpm; probably running them as intake and choking mb, psu. Make em exhaust, put additional intake vent in rear, segregate the cpu/gpu and tweak airflow via above and it would run much cooler

#26 woox13

woox13

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 04:57 PM

all your images are dead/bandwith exceeded .... can you put them on tinypic.com or something else?

#27 Bandit5317

Bandit5317

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:28 PM

Here are the new image links in the order which they originally appeared with tinypic as the host. If a moderator could swap out the old links in the first post with these I would appreciate it.

1. IPB Image

2. IPB Image

3. IPB Image

4. IPB Image

5. IPB Image

6. IPB Image

7. IPB Image

8. IPB Image

QUOTE(el12 @ Aug 16 2009, 02:42 AM) View Post

What about using aluminum for the case it will help at dissipating the heat

Yeah it would and I might've been able to shave 1/8" off the total thickness if I used aluminum, but it's harder to work with than polycarbonate. I'm not really worried about cooling since the GPU, which is the hottest thing in the case, tops out at ~46*C in games.

QUOTE(cooljerk_dv @ Aug 16 2009, 04:44 AM) View Post

also curious, what fan/heatsinks are those on the gpu & cpu?

Iceberq 4 Pros. Here is a tutorial by potato10 for installing them: http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=600530. I just used nuts and bolts instead of hot glue.

#28 Bandit5317

Bandit5317

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE(Jakious @ Aug 16 2009, 07:11 AM) View Post

This is really an excellent job. As a newbie to the forum, I have some questions that I hope will not be too naive. I have just bought a PC ITX case to smarten up my softmodded XMBC Xbox and would appreciate your comments on the following.

1. What happened to the DVD drive? I understand that the Xbox will not boot without the DVD drive connected. I do not need the drive so if there is a simple way to bypass the check, I would like to know.

2. Can you tell us what fans you used and how you connected them? I expect that they are chained into the HDD power, but confirmation would be good.

3. Did you need to do anything with the Xbox PSU? From the pics, you seem to have placed it on top of the m'board but I am sure that there is more to it than that.

Thanks in anticipation.

Jakious.

No problem.

1. Most (if not all) alternative BIOS' allow you to skip the DVD drive check. You can get the Xbox running an alternative BIOS either by installing a mod chip or flashing the TSOP (you can't flash the TSOP on a version 1.6 Xbox). I decided to go with iND-BIOS 5003.06, but the latest X2 BIOS is also a pretty common favorite. If you want to stick with a softmod, you can make the stock BIOS think that the DVD drive is connected by gutting the drive, removing the mainboard, and just hooking the mainboard up.

2. Iceberq 4 Pro graphics card coolers (fan/heatsink combo). You could use the HDD power, but I just used the original CPU power header (in my case, the connector had to be removed and the wires soldered directly to the motherboard due to height issues) and soldered the GPU fan power to where the GPU fan header would be if it were an earlier revision Xbox.

3. I used a modified ATX DC-DC PSU: http://www.mini-box....mp;category=981. Any ATX PSU that can handle the current draw (absolute minimum is 60 watts) can be modified to work. However the v1.6 Xboxes draw like 4 amps on the standby line which make them very difficult to get working with an ATX PSU. There was a tutorial for v1.0 (or 1.1) Xboxes.

The search function should help you find some more in-depth answers. Also, looking through the faq/tutorials section should help.

#29 kclives

kclives

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:01 PM

The mod looks awesome, could I ask how you drilled the venting holes? Did you use a guide or just manually by eye.

Thanks.

----------------
Listening to: Deadmau5 - Moar Ghosts n Stuff

#30 Bandit5317

Bandit5317

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 12:54 AM

QUOTE(kclives @ Aug 16 2009, 05:01 PM) View Post

The mod looks awesome, could I ask how you drilled the venting holes? Did you use a guide or just manually by eye.

Thanks.

I used a plastic vent that I cut out of some pelican accessory. It's a must if you're going to drill that many holes with any amount of accuracy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users