X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:37 PM

V1.2 -V1.5 XBOX's ONLY

First, this is my first tutorial I made, so it's probably not perfect. If you are interested in a new bios, but doubt you soldering skills or just don't have access to solder, mirror defogger, conductive ink pens, etc. then this guide is for you.

Assuming that you have already determained what bios and tsop flasher you will use, and you know how to use the them, this is a tutorial on how to flash a v1.2 - v1.5 xbox without soldering. You will only need some house hold materials for this tutorial! This worked for me all four times I did it without any problems.

I am not responsible if you break your xbox doing this. I did this successfully four times with no problems. You are responsible if anything goes wrong.

What you'll need:
Xbox
Scissors
Clear tape (QUALITY TAPE)
Time and patience
Aluminum foil
BIOS and flasher (Earasia disc recommended)

You may wan't to clean the points with a damp q-tip and alcohol before doing this to ensure good connection.

1. Open you xbox and remove the hard drive and DVD drive. You can remove the IDE and
DVD drive cables from the motherboard for more work room if you want.

2. Find the points that you will need to bridge, and using the scissors, cut a small piece
of foil that will fit on the points to be connected. Make sure it isn't too big so it doesn't touch anything but the points you need to connect. For more reliability, make sure you make the foil to have more than one layer.

IPB Image

3. Cut a small square of tape a little bigger than the foil and put the piece of tiny square foil you cut out earlier in the middle of the sticky side of the
tape.

4. Put the tape on the points, making sure that the foil is touching the points AND
THOSE POINTS ONLY. If the foil is touching anything else, it could do damage to you xbox.

5. When you're ready to flash, you will need to leave your xbox open. Plug all the
cables that you took out back in and set your DVD drive aside. During the flashing
process, you will need to hold the foil down with you fingers, applying a reasonable
amount of pressure. Remember to hold the points before the flashing process starts.

**If you don't apply enough pressure, you may get a read only error. Press hard enough, but not hard enough to break your motherboard.**

Note: Again, I highly recommend using the Earasia disc (was the only flasher I used) to flash because it gives you the time you need to get your fingers ready and apply the pressure. It keeps you informed of what's happening and you don't need a retail 007 AUF disc.

Also know that you will need a 256k bios for xbox versions v1.2 to v1.5. Any other bios won't work. And never flash a bfm bios to your TSOP.

Warning: Don't let go of the points until you are sure that the process is completely finished. If you
let go during the programming or earasing process, you might get a bad flash.

Hope this helps someone biggrin.gif

Edited by Alex548, 18 August 2009 - 02:22 AM.

#2 GMMan

GMMan

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 18 August 2009 - 05:17 PM

Heh heh. I tried to use tin foil to enable the write points, but they're so darn small! My scissors couldn't cut a square that small, or else I'd have the foil pressing against something else. Pencil didn't work for me either, so at the end I choose soldering biggrin.gif

#3 hangover

hangover

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 21 August 2009 - 12:18 PM

I just had an idea after reading your no solder flashing, i have a pair of s/steel tweezers with good sharp tips and i bet if i held them firmly i could probably use them as the bridge ? Might try it over the weekend if i get a chance.

#4 AgentWiZ

AgentWiZ

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Developer
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:51 PM

Flashing the 1.0-1.5 is all too easy smile.gif Im glad someone has cleaned up the tutorial!

Soldering is always the way to go! Just 2 quick taps on the board and you're ready to go wink.gif

I recommend to anyone in the US to have an xbox memory card available with the 007 save and a couple copies of AUF tongue.gif Only $1.99 a copy at GameStop! Its an AIO flash kit now and I can run through them in about 10 minutes!

As always Thanks for the contribution!

#5 piggymouth

piggymouth

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Interests:Computer Gaming<br />Technology News<br /><br />Xbox/xbox 360 Games<br />PS2/3 Games<br /><br />Modding Consoles
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 09 October 2009 - 06:17 PM

Aluminum foil...yikes!!!!!

I used a old 80-pin IDE cable from a computer.

Check the link in my sig for details.

Works a treat.

No Mess.
No Tape.

Edited by piggymouth, 09 October 2009 - 06:19 PM.

#6 LiTHiUM0XiD3

LiTHiUM0XiD3

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 04:03 AM

why in gods name do ya wanna risk doing it this way? lolz
now ive never used a mod chip..(so i kinda worship the TSOP and pray it never dies) cuz i couldnt get a credit card to buy one...
but any sorta flashing is dangerous... so why do it with such a half ass solution?
kinda scary to me
just my 2 cents smile.gif

#7 GoTeamScotch

GoTeamScotch

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 435 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 20 December 2009 - 06:13 AM

Good idea for those who refuse to get their hands dirty. Soldering in preparation for a tsop flash is a fairly easy process. I'm not good at soldering by any standards but I've had a good rate of success (not perfect though). This is one thing I'd definitely recommend taking the time to learn how to solder and how to do it fairly well. You're just heating up a dab of solder and touching two points.

@bobos: not knocking your tut. good job and thanks for contributing to the scene! biggrin.gif

#8 HiTMaN-239

HiTMaN-239

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:42 AM

Certainly Creative, just don't loose pressure in the middle of an erase/write... smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users