278 replies to this topic

#1 scullc

scullc

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:54 PM

================================================================================

Xboxhdm2.2 (USB Edition) - Final Release - Updated 24-10-2011

================================================================================

IPB Image

This is Xboxhdm2.2 with a bugfix on the bootloader. It reverts back to grub4dos. FreeDOS also fixed.
Xboxhdm2.2 is designed to help you rebuild your XBOX HDD using a USB flash drive. It can also help you un/lock your XBOX HDD.

Main architect: ldotsfan
Dual boot/testing: scullc
Script developments: fwz

Download here - 156mb

Xboxhdm2.2 is primarily designed to boot from USB flash drives.
The tool is designed for advanced users as it assumes you are already familiar with xboxhdm.
It may not work at all and may thrash your drive. Ensure you already have an eeprom.bin and can recover with the original xboxhdm.
HDD start up times will be greatly extended if you have a locked HDD attached, although this is markedly reduced when un/locking using FreeDOS/ATAPWD or if IDE detection is turned off in your BIOS.

Additional features over old version:
Boots from USB.
Integrated dual-booting allows for Linux & DOS tools to co-exist to get your HDD un/locked.
Any of the 4 IDE connections may be used now to connect Xbox HDD. CD-ROM drive not needed (if you can boot from USB).
No reboots between HDD rebuilds and locking.
Linux ISO building no longer required.

Quick use/set-up:
Extract xboxhdm2.2 to the root of your USB flash drive.
Populate the /hdm/C folder with the M$ Dashboard files.
Populate the /hdm/E folder with any chosen files (games saves etc) that you require installed.
Place your "eeprom.bin" file in the eeprom folder located on the root of the flash drive if you intend to un/lock.
To install the multiboot, download grub4dos Installer (ver 1.1) & follow the install instructions from Section 1.
That's it! Reboot using the USB drive and if all gone well, you should see the boot screen.

Notes:
Xboxhdm2.2 was developed from XboxHDM2 (USB Edition) & covers much of its features.
If you intend on using the stable Xboxhdm2.1 then here are some quick install instructions.
Some help files located in a “help” folder on the root of the USB stick. This may assist with you advanced un/locking techniques & basic use of xboxhdm2.2.
To access FreeDOS/ATAPWD un/locking tools - select FreeDOS in the boot menu & press enter twice. Navigate to the FreeDOS folder using DOS commands (cd freedos).
This is a final personal build & is unsupported as the tool is no longer being developed. But it works wink.gif

Have fun with it.
scullc

Edited by steveo1978, 14 November 2011 - 08:51 PM.

#2 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 26 August 2009 - 03:04 PM

EDIT: 13 Mar 2012

Mirror of 2.2 download at sourceforge

Edited by ldotsfan, 13 March 2012 - 03:08 PM.

#3 scullc

scullc

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE(ldotsfan @ Aug 26 2009, 03:04 PM) View Post

Encouraging to see that there are non-English users of this tool beerchug.gif

amazing & good to hear
out of curiosity - where did you see that Spanish effort?

#4 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 27 August 2009 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE(scullc @ Aug 27 2009, 01:42 AM) View Post

amazing & good to hear
out of curiosity - where did you see that Spanish effort?

The first Google result with "xboxhdm2.1" for Spanish language results.

#5 jairolas

jairolas

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 05:23 AM

Mine stops loading vmlinuz part blink.gif

Edited by jairolas, 26 October 2009 - 05:26 AM.

#6 jairolas

jairolas

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:17 AM

QUOTE(jairolas @ Oct 26 2009, 05:23 AM) View Post

Mine stops loading vmlinuz part blink.gif

I changed my usb port to primary and now stops at initdr something like that lol

#7 scullc

scullc

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:47 PM

QUOTE(jairolas @ Oct 27 2009, 01:17 AM) View Post

I changed my usb port to primary and now stops at initdr something like that lol

can you provide more detail? i am not sure what you mean.
generally this tool is meant for advanced users & it assumes you are already familiar with xboxhdm (the original).
please also ensure you are reading the build instructions to the letter as i have never seen this error before.

#8 jairolas

jairolas

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 06:39 AM

QUOTE(scullc @ Oct 27 2009, 09:47 PM) View Post

can you provide more detail? i am not sure what you mean.
generally this tool is meant for advanced users & it assumes you are already familiar with xboxhdm (the original).
please also ensure you are reading the build instructions to the letter as i have never seen this error before.

Well, I'm trying this in a old computer with only 256mb ram and two USB ports, both ports are low speed (But I think it doesn't matter cause I boot damn small linux usb live with that same usb and the same low speed port)
I downloaded the light version formated my 2 gb usb with Fat32, did everything in the tutorial, BUT I didn't put my linux iso I was just testing the app, so yeah everything OK, I put my eprom, C and E folder and then I maked bootable the usb with bootinst.bat
The computer start and then after a short time the usb start with the green splash menu, but stopped at vmlinuz, then I changed the usb to another port (the first port) and now stays at initgr or something like that.
I'm gonna try this again and see what happens.
Edit in a few moments...

#9 jairolas

jairolas

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:04 AM

Ops I can't edit, well I tried again and yes... it was my fault lol
I was doing something worng and now everything loads fine BUT I still have a big problem, when I press 1 in the option 2 to enter hdmaker it says : Could not allocate physical memory and that's it, maybe I need more ram or something.

Edited by jairolas, 28 October 2009 - 07:06 AM.

#10 scullc

scullc

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:15 AM

I agree.
I suspect you haven't got enough memory in that machine but i am a little surprised tbh.
generally the tool hasn't been rigorously tested in less than 512mb and your experience seems to bear that out.
see here for other minimum testing experience.
that machine got a CD-ROM?
you could always try the original HDM method

#11 kronflux

kronflux

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 28 October 2009 - 02:00 PM

any chance this will give the ability to configure how large each partition will be?
this is probably a very n00bish question, but I want a direct response from the people I know I can get a decent answer from, instead of getting out of date posts, or whatever else..
I want to be able to install a new hard drive in my xbox, and bam, start out with custom sized C, E, and F partitions, perhaps even G.
and if that's not possible, how would I go about resizing those partitions, and would it be recommended against for any particular reason?

#12 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 28 October 2009 - 02:10 PM

No, xboxhdm doesn't do that. While it is possible to resize C and E (and presumably X, Y and Z) it is not recommended - there are loads of posts from people who have tried this with mixed results.

Your real choice is how you divide the remaining space between F and G, and xboxhdm doesn't do that either. You set up the stock partitions with xboxhdm, then use XBPartitioner 1.1 to set up F and G.

If you want to experiment, you can use XBPartitioner 1.1 to adjust the stock partition sizes, but doing so will erase the data on those partitions, and for a softmodded Xbox you will then need to run xboxhdm again to populate the resized partitions - although I'm not entirely sure that would work properly.....

#13 jairolas

jairolas

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:05 PM

Well I think this is a qemu issue I tried adding more swap and nothing, algo tried ulimit -d unlimited and nothing, the only way to fix this is adding more ram so this doesn't work with less than 384mb. rolleyes.gif

#14 scullc

scullc

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE(jairolas @ Oct 28 2009, 09:05 PM) View Post

Well I think this is a qemu issue I tried adding more swap and nothing, algo tried ulimit -d unlimited and nothing, the only way to fix this is adding more ram so this doesn't work with less than 384mb. rolleyes.gif

seems a heavy amount of RAM needed & without any other means of testing/feedback we're probably nearer getting the required minimum to run the (lite) tool.
i recall ldotsfan had similar issues in real world testing & with qemu see here
however this doesn't help you - what are you trying to achieve?
there are other ways to rebuild that HDD (hdm original CD method/stick it in chipped box...etc)

#15 jairolas

jairolas

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:44 PM

Well I was trying to make a hd for my xbox cause I have the retail 10gb and is not enough.
The problem is that I don't have a dvd rom drive or any kind of disc reader/writer device and my xbox only has a softmod, I guess I'm gonna have to buy a cd writer just to do this.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Yahoo (1)