#31 welandB

welandB

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 12 December 2009 - 07:10 AM

I have had some difficulty with a specific hard drive while upgrading. After becoming frustrated with the process and taking a break from that hd, I opted to upgrade to a 120gb WD hd using xboxhdm2.1.

It is amazing how smooth this went. Thank you so much, ldots and scullc. You guys really made a kickass tool. Without a computer that has two PATA connectors, I'd have been hosed without this.

I'll run through my specific process for anyone who finds himself in my hardware situation in the future:
  • PC has one PATA (traditionally called IDE) connector on the motherboard that is NOT the primary IDE and 6(?) SATA connectors that aren't involved with the softmodding process
  • PC that can boot to USB flash drive
  • A flash drive <- My working size for this softmod/hd upgrade was 611MB. As I have a 2GB flash drive, I wasn't concerned with paring this down. These steps don't involve the paring-down, though you can by postponing transfer of the E drive.
  • Router/switch connecting PC and xbox <- not exactly necessary, look for the note
  • No memory card or xbox-USB connector <- I made the connector, but my xbox refused to format my flash drive, so I went a route that doesn't require either of these
  • Original Splinter Cell for xbox for game save exploits (the actual softmodding is done through these)

Process (repeat at your own risk!):
  1. Download Xplorer360 to PC <- Please note if you use Vista, you must run this as administrator (right-click on program, select "Run As Administrator")
  2. Download game save exploit (from the usual places) appropriate to the game you have. I used Splinter Cell.
  3. Download xboxhdm2.1 archive to PC and extract (link on first post of this topic)
  4. Download Grub4Dos installer to PC and extract (link on first post of this topic) <- please note that despite their tutorial, you only have to download and extract their installer. ldot/scullc graciously configured all of the necessary files and included them in the xboxhdm2.1 download
  5. Copy xboxhdm2.1 files to root of flash drive
  6. Run Grub4Dos installer on flash drive using their tutorial (tutorial link on first post of this topic) <- again, skip the copying of the other archive's files to the flash drive
  7. Hotswap original xbox hd with PC booted in Windows <- I could do this while already booted in Vista. Do at your own risk.
  8. Open Xplorer360 and "insert files" from game save exploit archive into appropriate folders on partition 3 <- you can try to "insert folder" but this never worked for me. I had to make a new folder and properly name it and manually select each file to transfer anything TO the hd
  9. Copy all contents of partition 1 to a backup folder on your PC. This is your xbox's virgin C drive (system and dashboard files), which I found easier to work with upon upgrading the HD. You can do this after softmodding it via FTP, but using the original, unmodified C drive files was easier for me.
  10. Copy all contents of partition 3 to a backup folder on your PC. This is your xbox's E drive (saved games and music(unsure on music as I had none on the hd)) with all of your saved games plus the game save exploit. Backing this up after copying over the exploit just saves a step when upgrading the hd.
  11. Select "close drive" in Xplorer360's file menu <- this sometimes caused the program to crash in Vista Business 64bit, though I never saw any problems resulting from it
  12. Copy your backup C & E folders to corresponding folders in the "hdm" folder on the root of your flash drive <- the reason you shouldn't copy directly from Xplorer360 to your flash drive is so you have a backup on your PC.
  13. Disconnect original hd from PC, replace in xbox, and run the game save exploit <- I never shut down my PC before disconnecting. Do at your own risk.
  14. Run through appropriate install, specific to your exploit package
  15. Note your xbox's IP address (from system info in UnleashX/EvolutionX dashboard) and FTP into xbox (user: xbox, pass: xbox) from PC and copy over the backup folder on your xbox's E drive (backup folder locations vary from exploit to exploit) to an appropriate backup location on your PC <- if you do not have a network, you can hotswap again and work from partition 3 in Xplorer360
  16. Copy the eeprom.bin from this backup folder to the "eeprom" folder on the root of your flash drive.
  17. Shut down xbox and PC
  18. Connect new hd to PC
  19. Boot PC from flash drive <- my BIOS is odd and has two menus for boot priority. Even after I selected to boot from USB device in the first, or selecting it from the one-time boot menu, it would still boot into Windows from my PC's main hd. Only after a half-dozen attempts did I find the second menu, which overrides the first menu AND the one-time boot menu. Go figure.
  20. Select to boot into Slax
  21. If using the GUI version, open the "System" icon on the desktop and browse to storage media. Hover your mouse over the hard drive you're going to use and note its mounted location (ex- /dev/hda). This will be the last time you can see it in the storage media folder and this path is important to remember.
  22. Once Slax is loaded run xboxhd2 (from a console if using the GUI)
  23. Select the path you noted from the storage media folder
  24. Select option #2 to continue with part 2
  25. Once QEMU loads (in another console window if in the GUI), run xboxhdm <- As my hard drive was always at /dev/hda, I do not know if ldot's configuration will change a /dev/hdb (or hdc, hdd) path in Slax to a /dev/hda path in QEMU.
  26. Select "create xbox hd from scratch" <- this will run you through self-explanatory prompts, pulling appropriate data from your flash drive's xdm folder.
  27. This will prompt you to make an F partition and possibly a G partition. F (and G) will be your "extra space" on the hd for movies or games you want to save. Unless you've upgraded your BIOS to access partitions >137gb, consider making a G partition if your F partition will exceed this and xboxhdm prompts you to do so.
  28. Once it finishes configuring the partitions and copying files, it will return you to xboxhdm's menu
  29. Select option #6 to check your hd's pass key from eeprom.bin. <- I haven't needed either of these numbers so far, but I've written them down and keep the piece of paper taped underneath the hd in the xbox.
  30. Other tutorials (for xboxhdm up to v1.9) will tell you to select option #7. You don't need to as you wrote down the keys and have the lock/unlock tools on your flash drive already. I don't have a floppy drive, but I suppose you could still select this option if you have one and want to make the disk.
  31. Select option #8 to quit
  32. Type "poweroff" to shutdown the QEMU program. <- Sometimes QEMU would hang after telling me to turn off the computer, so I just closed the window (hit ctrl+alt if you can't see the cursor).
  33. Run xboxhd2 (the first console you used should still be there if using a GUI) again
  34. Select option #3 to lock your hd <- the first time I did this on my new hd, it changed the "security supported" line from no to yes, but "security enabled" was still no. I ran it again and "security enabled" changed to yes.
  35. Shut down your PC
  36. Disconnect the new hd from your PC and change its jumper setting to "cable select" if not already
  37. Reconnect it to your xbox
  38. Power up xbox and run the softmod game save exploit again

I'm thinking about changing my name to ldotsfansfan happy.gif

#32 welandB

welandB

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 09:57 AM

I confused the drive letters and corresponding partitions. Drive C is partition 3, Drive E is partition 4.

#33 edwardar

edwardar

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 28 December 2009 - 02:35 AM

Ok, this just isn't working for me. I tried the console version, but it gives me a "runtime 4" error, no KDE, etc

So I tried the GUI version. This tells me "hdm directory not found", "eeprom.bin not found", etc. I tried replacing the ltoolz.lzm file with an older one, but then it starts asking me about a linux.iso file. I thought the point of filling the "C" and "E" folders in hdm was that no iso file was needed?! I know the USB drive is mounted as mnt/sda, but how do I know what my xbox drive is?

Is it just me? I used xboxhdm 1.9 without problems on my old PC. Is the ltoolz.lzm file in the final version the correct file?

I'd really appreciate any help, this is driving me mad!!

#34 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 02:49 AM

If memory serves, the older versions (eg 2.0?) required you to create a standard XBoxHDM ISO file and include that one the USB drive. I guess if you want to try the old code, you should be following this.

#35 scullc

scullc

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE(edwardar @ Dec 28 2009, 02:35 AM) View Post

Ok, this just isn't working for me. I tried the console version, but it gives me a "runtime 4" error, no KDE, etc

So I tried the GUI version. This tells me "hdm directory not found", "eeprom.bin not found", etc. I tried replacing the ltoolz.lzm file with an older one, but then it starts asking me about a linux.iso file. I thought the point of filling the "C" and "E" folders in hdm was that no iso file was needed?! I know the USB drive is mounted as mnt/sda, but how do I know what my xbox drive is?

Is it just me? I used xboxhdm 1.9 without problems on my old PC. Is the ltoolz.lzm file in the final version the correct file?

I'd really appreciate any help, this is driving me mad!!

so i can understand your problem a little better:
1. whats your system specs? you got enough RAM to run the gui version?
2. you have definitely followed the install guide to the letter (populated the HDM folders with appropriate M$ files etc?)
3. eeprom.bin is in the root of the stick in the folder eeprom.

no ISO needed for 2.1 final (all done by populating the folders).
I suspect your stick is not 'built' properly and your files are either missing or not in the right place. have another go & feedback.
IIRC (although its been a while) fwz scripts automatically 'find' your HDD for you. see this post which may help 'getting you started'.

#36 illtww

illtww

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE(scullc @ Dec 28 2009, 04:41 PM) View Post

so i can understand your problem a little better:
1. whats your system specs? you got enough RAM to run the gui version?
2. you have definitely followed the install guide to the letter (populated the HDM folders with appropriate M$ files etc?)
3. eeprom.bin is in the root of the stick in the folder eeprom.

no ISO needed for 2.1 final (all done by populating the folders).
I suspect your stick is not 'built' properly and your files are either missing or not in the right place. have another go & feedback.
IIRC (although its been a while) fwz scripts automatically 'find' your HDD for you. see this post which may help 'getting you started'.

I am ALSO having problems with XboxHDM2 (USB edition)
I have sued the XBOXHDM 1.9 on my Pii 440bx board with NO problems...

New System Specs:
Core2Duo
4 sata ports
1 Pata connector
2gb ram
E2100 CPU (not exactly sure)

I think the problem is with the Grub4Dos Installer. (Preparing the MBR of the USB-STICK)
If I prepare it and copy all the xboxhdm2.1 files to the root of the USB it does NOT boot.

IF I prepare the USB with BartPE and then copy over some of the files it boots....

I cannot get the GUI version running. THe Console lite version boots but than hangs at looking for the livecd.sXX (With the hard drives attached) (Without the drives attached it boots to the "SLAX" login page...)

Am i missing something here. Have about 3 hours invested in making the the USB bootable. I have a USB stick with winxp on it and it runs and boots fine.....

Any help is appreciated!

#37 scullc

scullc

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:30 PM

illtww:

what OS are you trying to run the grub installer on?
it was tested in (mainly) XP and to a less extent Vista. I did not test it all in Win7
small point - i extracted/prepared the USB drive 1st - then ran the installer (as per my instructions)

#38 GISJason

GISJason

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:Hacking anything w/ a TSOP....<br /><br />Modems, Xboxs, 360s, Etc.....
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 30 December 2009 - 08:45 AM

QUOTE(ldotsfan @ Dec 7 2009, 07:10 AM) View Post

Am I missing something here? Virgin xbox with eeprom.bin? You have to softmod the xbox first to get an eeprom backup. dry.gif

Anyway apart from xboxhdm2.1, there are many ways to get to Rome tongue.gif

Dang nice tool! I wish I read this just a few hours ago... Just got done locking a HDD ./
I assume you can recover any xbox basically by using the correct version eeprom for your xbox? Correct region and all that ya know...I've got a couple xboxs that had dead hdds so I'm just now blowin the dust off em and gettin em fixed... Nice to come back into it and see these new apps and tools available now! There's the snazzy xbox eeprom reader & writer I'm plannin on grabbin off eBay and then I'm gonna be givin this new Xboxhdm a try!

Keep up the good work! beerchug.gif

Edited by GISJason, 30 December 2009 - 08:48 AM.

#39 edwardar

edwardar

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:47 AM

Thanks for the replies. In the end I broke the hard drive!

I was using a SATA HD with a SATA-IDE adaptor. I think the problem I had with xboxhdm2 was to do with the way my motherboard recognises drives. It recognises SATA drives as HD1 (primary) master and slave and HD2 (secondary) master and slave. PATA drives are recognised as HD0, so I'm not sure how this is picked up in linux.

I had no problems creating the boot usb device, and loaded up slax without a problem.

I think what killed the drive was that I was using chimp 2.6 on the xbox, and started copying drives and locking the drive after already receiving device errors.

Anyway, it was a spare 320gb SATA drive, so I used a spare 160gb PATA drive in the end (with Chimp 2.6) and this worked first time.

#40 illtww

illtww

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE(scullc @ Dec 29 2009, 11:30 PM) View Post

illtww:

what OS are you trying to run the grub installer on?
it was tested in (mainly) XP and to a less extent Vista. I did not test it all in Win7
small point - i extracted/prepared the USB drive 1st - then ran the installer (as per my instructions)

XP SP3...

Can you copy and past the USB Prepare section? or link it? (Pretty sure i followed to a t....)

Thanks!

#41 scullc

scullc

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:32 AM

QUOTE(illtww @ Dec 30 2009, 09:00 PM) View Post

XP SP3...

Can you copy and past the USB Prepare section? or link it? (Pretty sure i followed to a t....)

Thanks!

no big secret - its the instructions at the top of this thread. i have been lucky in which 3 different sticks i used for testing always worked.
my 1gb USB Stick is formatted to Fat32 btw.
have you tried the CD Kicker method? Both the GUI/console ISOs have a folder containing a CD-Kicker ISO (this should allow non-bootable sticks/BIOS's that don't allow USB booting to load from USB after you first boot from the CD).
Burn the CK-Kicker ISO, then boot from Cd & see if its loads that way.

This is a good time as any - to say that I am taking an extended break from the scene.
Life has just got busy and I no longer have the time for this project.
Many thanks to all those who I have 'worked' with during the last year.

Cheers beerchug.gif

Edited by scullc, 31 December 2009 - 10:48 AM.

#42 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:52 PM

Good luck to you, then. Hope to see you around. beerchug.gif

#43 spraoi

spraoi

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 01:44 AM

Does this allow hotswap softmod via usb enclosure?

#44 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 22 January 2010 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE(spraoi @ Jan 22 2010, 08:44 AM) View Post

Does this allow hotswap softmod via usb enclosure?

This is intended for booting off an usb drive. Not quite the same thing. But somebody did this with qemu off a Mac so they must have used an usb enclosure? I also wrote this guide some time back. Similiar to the first link but on a PC.

#45 rmathiot

rmathiot

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:11 AM

Here's the steps to get the console version working properly:
1) Follow the steps to get the files on the flash drive and write the mbr for grub4dos
1b) Download MHDD and copy the files from the downloaded zip file to /MHDD directory in the root of the flash drive.
2) If using Ndure 3.1, prepare it as you would normally and copy the files to the /hdm/ndure directory on the flash drive
2b) Download and copy ndure2 (modified ndure 3.1 script just for xboxhdm2) to the /hdm/ndure directory on the flash drive.
3) Put the eeprom.bin file in the /eeprom directory from the xbox you want to build a hard drive for.
4) Eject the flash drive properly, insert it into the computer you're going to lock/unlock the hd with while the computer is off.
5) Connect a power molex connector from your computer to the xbox hard drive, do not connect the ide cable just yet.
6) Make sure that no other devices are on the IDE channels and make sure the xbox hd's jumper is set to master.
7) Start up the computer, go into the BIOS by pressing a specific key when the computer brand logo shows up.
8) Disable automatic mode for the primary ide channel, and change the boot order to boot to the flash drive.
9) Save and Exit the BIOS
10) When the computer boots to the lime green boot menu, press the down or up arrow key to cancel the countdown.
11) Connect the IDE cable to the xbox hard drive.
12) Select Slax ... and press Enter
13) Login to slax using username, "root" , and password, "toor"
14) Type xboxhd2 and press Enter.
15) Using the unlock or lock option, allow the system to determine the HDD Key to lock or unlock the hard drive. This key is based on more than these three things: eeprom.bin, Model number, and Serial number. So each hard drive will have a unique key depending on the eeprom file. Keep that in mind and watch what you write down. The HDD Key is a 20 byte key given in hex. Record this hex number.
16) Exit the unlock or lock option by typing "no".
17) Type poweroff and press Enter. If your computer doesn't shutdown completely, press the power button and it will initiate the shutdown sequence.
18) Unhook the IDE cable from the xbox hard drive (Leave the molex power connector connected) when it shuts off.
19) Power the computer back on, press up or down at the menu to cancel the countdown, connect the ide cable to the xbox hard drive.
20) Select FREEDOS and press Enter
21) Type cd MHDD, and then type MHDD and press Enter.
22) MHDD will load. This tool is extremely powerful. It bypasses the BIOS programming and communicates directly with the IDE channel. We are going to use it to lock or unlock the hard drive. Type PORT and press enter
23) Type the number of the xbox drive and press enter.
24) Using another computer google the extended ascii table and use it to convert the hex hd key you wrote down to dec or decimal numbers and write the individual decimal number down.
25) If you are unlocking the xbox hd, type UNLOCK and press enter.
25b) Type 0 and press enter
25c) Now this is the fun part. Grab the decimal numbers you wrote down and type them one by one by holding down the ALT key while you type the number on the Numeric pad. When you finish typing one number release the ALT key and a character will appear on the screen. One character represents a byte in hex, or 8 bits. Continue entering all the decimal numbers in this way. When you finish count the number of characters on the line and verify that there is 20 characters. Press Enter.
25d) If you entered the hex bytes in properly, it will say "Done." in green. Type DISPWD and press enter. Repeat step 25b-25c.
25e) It should say "Done" in green. This means the password is disabled until we choose to reenable it. Verify this is true by typing EID and press enter. Under security it should say high, OFF.
25f) Type Exit, and press enter. Turn off the computer. Unplug the ide cable from the xbox hard drive.
26) Turn on the computer, press up or down once you reach the lime green menu to cancel the countdown. Plug the ide cable into the xbox hard drive.
27) Select Slax ... and press Enter.
28) Type xboxhd2 and press Enter.
29) Type yes and press Enter.
30) Type 2 and press Enter to enter into xboxhdm
31) At this point, QEMU is loaded which mounts the flash drive as type msdos. A type of MSDOS is an issue because we will be copying files that have more than 8 characters in their filenames. We need to unmount the flash drive and remount it as type vfat so that the flash drive's files can be read with more than 8 characters. Assuming that /dev/hdc is your flash drive, type the commands below, pressing Enter after each line:
CODE

umount /dev/hdc1
umount /xboxhdm
mount -t vfat /dev/hdc1 /xbox
mount --bind /xbox/hdm /xboxhdm

If this completes successfully, we can see that the file names are now as they should be. This will prevent error 21 from showing up and freezing on the xbox logo at startup.
32) Type xboxhd and press Enter
33) Build the xbox drive by following the options on the screen. You should be familiar with xboxhdm; rtfm. Once you are finished press 8 and enter to Quit xboxhdm.
34) Type xbrowser and press enter to verify the file structure of the xbox hard drive or to launch the modified ndure script for ndure 3.1. You should know how to install ndure; rtfm.
35) Press F10 to Quit xbrowser (Midnight Commander)
36) Type poweroff to initiate the shutdown sequence. If it doesn't shutdown fully, press the power button on the computer to start the shutdown sequence for sure. Wait until the computer is off.
37) Unplug the ide cable to the xbox hdd.
38) Turn on the computer, at the lime green menu hit an up or down key to cancel the countdown. Plug the ide cable into the xbox hard drive.
39) Select FREEDOS and press enter.
40) Type cd MHDD and press enter
41) Type MHDD and press enter
42) In MHDD, type PORT and press enter.
43) Press the number corresponding to the xbox hard drive and press enter.
44) Type PWD, press enter.
45) Type 0, press enter.
46) CAREFULLY type the 20 character hdd code generated for that specific hard drive by using the method in step 25c. DOUBLE CHECK your number. Ensure that there's twenty characters on the line. Press enter to lock the hard drive.
47) Type EID to verify that it's locked.
48) Type EXIT to quit MHDD. Turn off the computer.
49) Moment of Truth... Unplug the xbox hard drive from your computer (molex connector and ide cable) and plug it back into the xbox. It should load up UnleashX perfectly without errors if you used Ndure 3.1. If you used M$ Dash files, it should load up the M$ Dash just fine.
50) DONE!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users