Photo

Xebian Problem... Very Small Problem Really...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 deymer

deymer

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 05:15 PM

So i installed xebian on my xbox along-side with XBMC, and it's running great. just a few things i need to do now... i need to install flash player, and i need to figure out how to keep the screen from running off the sides of my tv... when i maximize a window, it hides the address bar in firefox and the workspace-switcher at the bottom of the screen. i'm not too concerned with the flash player, because i think i can figure that one out.

thx in advance, cheers

-dan

#2 kingtiger01

kingtiger01

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:00 AM

well first off, i want to say Congrats.

ive been running Eds Debian(Xebian) since 2007 biggrin.gif

--------

Now to business,
"i installed xebian on my xbox along-side with XBMC"
did you install XBMC Native(XBE install) or did you install it on Linux?

"i need to install flash player"
theres three ways to do this, all will require the use of a terminal.

1. the APT way: using the terminal, type in the following "sudo apt-get install flash-plugin", Alternatively you can SSH into youre Xbox from a PC or other Device with a SSH-client (Putty on windows, ssh on *nix)-(older versions of Xebian require you install ssh, just "sudo apt-get install ssh")

2. The web-way: you can always get a native version from the Adobe website(http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer). offered are "yum" "rpm" "tar.gz" and "deb", since youre system is a Debain based system, id suggest the "deb" installation. click it and download it.

from here open the terminal, and change to the directory you downloaded the file to.(default is /home/{username} - Alternately, "~") now just put in the following "sudo dpkg -i {filename}" (or "sudo dpkg -i *.deb" if no other debian installers are in the same folder)

3. The manual way: this is by far the longest and most pain-in-the-butt route, as it requires making appropriate directory's and copying files, which personally drives me nuts, 2 steps is better than 15.

(http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer). offered are "yum" "rpm" "tar.gz" and "deb", since youre installing manually, you need the "tar.gz". from here open the terminal, and change to the directory you downloaded the file to.(default is /home/{username} - Alternately, "~").

Now, theres a few ways to extract the file, i personally prefer the "gzip -d *.gz && tar -xf *.tar" route, i find it faster. it will create the file "libflashplayer.so", this needs to be in the following folders for firefox and/or other apps to use it.

/usr/lib/firefox/plugins/
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/

the easiest way is to place it in "/usr/lib/firefox/plugins/" and symbolic link(ln -s) the file in the "/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/" folder.

---

"i need to figure out how to keep the screen from running off the sides of my tv"
thats a Overscan issue, as i use Composite cables(HD-Cables) i dont have that issue, im sure some one here can give you a hand on that, but i will continue to look for a solution for you!

#3 deymer

deymer

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:46 AM

thanks for the help, i really appreciate it.

i'll try the .deb method first, cause i tried to do sudo apt-get update, and it failed to complete the entire process. i got some kind of error, can't remember atm, but i can give u more details if you wanna help me out some more...

thx again, i'll keep you posted on my progress

xD,
-dan

oh, and i'm not sure what a "native" install is, but i know that to run *inux, i go to some folder in e: drive and run it as an app. (.xbe)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users