Photo

Newb Help: Duox On The Way, What Else Do I Need?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 grantmax

grantmax

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 11:35 PM

Hey guys;

Forgive the newb questions please...

My old xbox has been sitting around for far too long; it needed to be modded. I ordered a DuoX for it but aside from that, I'm kind of confused as to what else I need to get it modded. I read through the sticky and got http://www.team-xecu...lashbios/cd.htm in order to re-flash the bios if needed...

What harddrives do these boxes take? Standard SATA desktop drives I'm assuming. Where is the cheapest place to buy them?

Once the chip is soldered to my board, will it take me to the dashboard and be ready to play ROMs and such?

I know, I'm pretty far behind...

#2 red_ring_of_box

red_ring_of_box

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 26 August 2009 - 03:17 AM

if you want a bigger hard drive then you can use a sata, but the xbox actually uses Ide in stead of sata so you need to get an ide to sata converter. If you want to find an IDE model that is compatable with your version of xbox then go to:

http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list

as for installing the hard drive? I have no idea as I use softmods only, though I'm sure someone else here can help you in the right direction.

Edited by red_ring_of_box, 26 August 2009 - 03:19 AM.

#3 grantmax

grantmax

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:10 AM

QUOTE(red_ring_of_box @ Aug 26 2009, 03:17 AM) View Post

if you want a bigger hard drive then you can use a sata, but the xbox actually uses Ide in stead of sata so you need to get an ide to sata converter. If you want to find an IDE model that is compatable with your version of xbox then go to:

http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list

as for installing the hard drive? I have no idea as I use softmods only, though I'm sure someone else here can help you in the right direction.

Thanks for the link bro!

I might as well just get an IDE drive. Found a seemingly solid 80gb on amazon for cheap and a second with a similar model # to the lists

Link #1: http://www.amazon.co...8...8-1&seller=

Link #2: http://www.amazon.co...2...475&sr=8-11

The stats look to be similar to the drives on there that didn't have any problems. Which of these (if any) look good?

Sorry again for the thread, but I'm pretty lost in this world. I'm quick on the uptake tho, so point me in the right direction and I'm good smile.gif

Edited by grantmax, 26 August 2009 - 06:21 AM.

#4 hangover

hangover

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:46 AM

Chip it then add the hdd, its much easier when its chipped as you dont have to lock the hdd. Download and burn 1 of the auto installer discs so you can prepare the hdd and install XBMC and other apps.

#5 Zumodoki

Zumodoki

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 September 2009 - 07:55 PM

Just ordered me that chip too, Looking at what I need seems im going to need some wire so I can concect D0 on the chip to D0 on the board is this correct? And a soldering iron obvioulsy, Any hard drive up too 120GB will work without any problem once the chip is installed is this correct or does the white DuoX2 chip bioss' support lba48 without having to do anything adinionally too it?

Edited by Zumodoki, 06 September 2009 - 07:59 PM.

#6 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 06 September 2009 - 08:51 PM

Yes, you need to solder D0, and BT. Have a look at this table, and at the links to installation diagrams at the bottom of the DuoX2 column, so you can see how to wire it.

Also from that table, you can see that the white DuoX2 ships with Flashbios, which you then use to flash the BIOS of your choice. X2.5035 is probably the best choice, and it has LBA48 support built-in, so will support large drives.

Edited by Heimdall, 06 September 2009 - 08:52 PM.

#7 zazzz

zazzz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 02:01 AM

i just got a white label (western digital) 250gb EIDE/IDE (it was listed as 160gb though) on ebay for $35 shipped. id recommend one, or a seagate barracuda, always used those in my pc and reliable.
all you really need is the chip and a HDD, the size depending on how much data you want to store. once the chip is loaded and it works you can boot straight to an install disc like slayers or AID and go from there, the installers will format and set up your HDD with whatever dash and apps you want.

you can also opt for a permanent mod, by grounding the D0 to one of the screw holes on the mobo and skipping the BT altogether. you wont be able to play xbox live but who plays live on xbox1 anymore anyway. i recently changed this on my xbox and a did a friends the same way (using a duoX2gs) and both work fine, it just makes it so you boot with the chip no matter what button you press. i havent tried to boot to msdash but i dont care about it anyway

Edited by zazzz, 09 September 2009 - 02:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users