• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jeffc222

jeffc222

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 08:33 PM

I've got my xbox soft-modded using the hot-swap method with xboxhdm 1.9 and ndure 3.0. It's now running unleashX dash, and I can ftp to it and everything.

Hopefully I'm just missing some little detail, but:

I've followed the instructions for making a new xboxhdm 1.9 disc with the files from my c and e drives, and my eeprom.bin. However, the disc iso comes out too large for a cd. To that end I've tried removing the tdata and udata, and, alternatively, everything except the tdata and udata, from the e-drive. I've used one disc to build the new drive (xboxhd option 1), and copy everything over. Then I've used the second disc to copy the remaining E-drive files over with xbrowser. Having a drive that should be an exact copy of my original modded drive, I boot with option 3 lock the drive (it shows success), then put the drive in the xbox and boot.

When I boot with the drive, it boots to the xBox dash instead of unleashX, I noticed the music folder has the unnamed soundtrack, so I try the <<EggsBox>> rename to run the soft-mod, and that's when I get the error:

Your xBox can't recognize this disc. Make sure it's an xbox game, DVD movie or audio CD... and so forth.

Maybe this is a product of the approach of splitting the files to two CD's. There are a bunch of large files that look like Halo maps and such. Just deleting that subfolder didn't seem to allow a working solution (I've tried a bunch of things not listed here). I can't find a way with unleashx to remove them cleanly, and I'm afraid to just delete them for fear it will wreck my working modded oem drive.

Rebooting doesn't seem to help, and so here I am. I've tried various other approaches to get this to work, but no luck. I'm downloading a "backup.rar" file to see if I can build a big-drive from scratch with original files, then re-soft-mod the upgraded drive. I'm not optimistic, though, because I've already used my stock backup from another xBox, coupled with the eeprom.bin from this xBox to build the replacement drive, and I get the same result as above.

One thing I notice is that the new drive doesn't have the x y z partitions. I've read these should be created automatically, but they're not.

Thanks for bearing with me on this long post, and huge thanks for any ideas anyone has on how to get this drive swap working.

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 30 August 2009 - 10:36 PM

You don't need to put the whole of your E drive on there. If there's stuff on your current drive you want to keep then the easiest way to do it is to ftp your current disk to your PC so you can copy the bits you want (gamesaves etc.) on to your new disk once it's working. Then, build a basic xboxhdm 1.9 disk, and use that to build your new disk.

Make sure that on your PC you have the following files:
- the stock 5960 C dash files and folders from Slayers:SYSTEM\All\c\, or AID:Files\Dash\ms-c.zip, or CASH:\StockFiles\c\.
- a new set of Kingroach NDURE 3.1 C and E folders. Make these by running Kingroach NDURE 3.1 and simply selecting your Kernel version under "Kernel Selection" and "Create XBOXHDM Installer" - leave all other options at default.

Build your xboxhdm disc using the stock C from Slayers / AID, and the Kingroach NDURE 3.1 files you just made. Put the stock C in linux/C. Rename ndure.htm to ndure (no extension), and place it and the rest of the Kingroach 3.1 files in linux/ndure/, i.e. the Kingroach C and E directories should be in linux/ndure/C/ and linux/ndure/E/, with the ndure script named linux/ndure/ndure. Put eeprom.bin in /linux/eeprom/

Boot with xboxhdm, select option 1 - boot VGA Console, then type xboxhd, then select option 1 - Build A New Xbox HD from scratch. Once that has finished exit, then type xbrowser, run the ndure script, then select option 1. Exit the ndure script. Reboot the PC, select option 3 and type lockhd -a to lock the disk.

If the F or G partitions on your new disk are larger than 256GB then make sure you use XBPartitioner 1.1 to format them before you start copying data across.

#3 jeffc222

jeffc222

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 11:16 PM

Thanks. A couple questions:

Can I leave E blank? I don't want anything from the old HD.

Can xboxhdm 1.9 not deal with more than 256GB? I am using a 500GB drive.

Do I need an F and G, or can I just have an F?

Do I need to leave room for X , Y, Z, or does it matter?

Is XBPartitioner 1.1 on the Xboxhdm system, or do I need to download it separately? Is there an easy link for that, rather than the whole irc thing?

I downloaded backup.rar from here:
http://www.se7ensins...ry-default.html

Is that likely to have the 5960 C dash you're talking about? I believe my system was updated, so can I use my own backed up dash files? Maybe this stuff just makes it more complicated, but it's kind-of hard to get some of these files.

Thanks again!

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 11:26 PM

1. No - you have to put the Kingroach dash on E. Xboxhdm and the ndure script do that for you, as long as you've built the xboxhdm disc properly.
2. xboxhdm was built before anyone had worked out how to format very large disks properly - it formats them, but with the wrong size clusters.
3. You can just have F. Kingroach supports it, and XBPartitioner 1.1 gives you that as an option.
4. xboxhdm sorts X, Y and Z for you.
5. Use Auto Xbins
6. Don't use your own dash files. Take the time to get them from CASH or Slayers, or any other reliable source you can find......

Edited by Heimdall, 30 August 2009 - 11:32 PM.

#5 jeffc222

jeffc222

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 12:08 AM

That's excellent! Thanks so much. I'm looking forward to trying this tonight.

#6 crossfade

crossfade

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:44 PM

In regards to my problem mentioned in this thread http://forums.xbox-s...&...t&p=4530776

Was i meant to grab a copy of Slayers disk aswell? Because at the moment im just trying to use my Kingroach Ndure disk and hotswap, using build disk from scratch option..

#7 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 07:54 PM

It's certainly cleaner to rebuild the whole disk including the stock dash (from HeXEn / CASH / Slayers), but it's not essential. It depends on what's already on your disk (which dash version, and whether there are any old softmmod remnants). I always do a full rebuild, so there are no subsequent problems.

Edited by Heimdall, 29 September 2009 - 08:02 PM.

#8 2 Bunny

2 Bunny

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 30 September 2009 - 12:37 AM

And this is exactly why xBoxHDM is a PAIN!

I made a special video on YouTube as a lantern in this horrible "drowning ocean" just for people like you:

I'm telling you, it is the magic link. All of the several thousand views and 12 ratings have shown us that this proven method works: A total of five stars.

It is an EPIC video. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

It was a pleasure to help you today.

- 2 Bunny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users