X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Getting tea-bagged and gang banged
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:16 AM

i have a 240Gb brand new HD coming in the mail soon. i want to use it in my primary xbox in place of the original. i have been reading about this TSOP stuff.

i understand that TSOP is flashing the bios so the xbox will boot differently. the question i have is:
is there a TSOP flash that will allow just "dropping in" a new HD to the xbox?

i understand that with a normal box, you need either a chip-mod, or you need to setup the drive with ndure via hotswapping, game save, etc.

if i cant upgrade a drive that easy with a TSOP mod, may i ask what the key perks to having a TSOP flash are? can you at least alter the flubber sequence? is TSOP'ing an older way of modding a box?

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:04 AM

Flashing the TSOP is logically the same as fitting a chip - it's just another place to store the hacked BIOS. You update the hard drive in the same way for both - fit the new drive, cold boot with a rebuild disc (like Slayers), set up the new hard drive, then if either of the F/G partitions is > 256GB you run XBPartitioner 1.1 to format F/G. Some chips (like the X3) have similar functionality built in so you don't need Slayers, but you still need to run XBPartitioner 1.1 for large partitions.

Edited by Heimdall, 31 August 2009 - 10:06 AM.

#3 murauder

murauder

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Interests:Music, computers, electronics, internet, technology, guitar, writing, video games, outdoors and guns
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:06 PM

like hiemdall said. a TSOP is essentially the same thing as having a modchip (minus some added perks depending on which chip) and yes it is that easy just format with slayers or whatever you like after your tsop is flashed. and yes you can alter the flubber depending on the bios you choose (x2 5035 is my choice if you have a 1.0 xbox). if you dont have a 1.0 xbox you can only use a 256k bios (people recommend iND 5003 but ive never used it). and if you have a 1.6 xbox you cant tsop flash it at all

hope this helps. good luck

#4 osmorphyus

osmorphyus

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 11:17 PM

good lookin out for the tips/info, gang. appreciate it as always.

my big 240 drive came in today. i think i have some work to do...!

let the ndure'ing begin! biggrin.gif

#5 osmorphyus

osmorphyus

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:47 AM

hey gang,

i am finally able to upgrade the harddrives in 2 of my boxes. i have not done this yet, so ill need some advice.

i have been doing a lot of reading:
http://forums.xbox-s...showtopic=98909

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=654315

http://forums.xbox-s...o...59887&st=15

OK, so here we go on the specs and what's up. i have an 80Gb drive that i want to put into a 1.6 unit, 5838 kernal. i want to tackle this only right now to learn on, no sense in messing up my primary system on practice.

i downloaded and created the iso for kingroaches ndure, using ndure 3.1 and xboxhdm 1.9.

now then, what i am mainly concerned about is the HD locking process.

with a standard issue softmod to stock drive, we wait until the drive is unlocked, then hotswap into our pc which runs ndure.

a new drive is not locked, and does not have a key. i understand that the key is created with the HD serial number and the eeprom information.

upon a standard issue softmod, we do not have our eeprom information. which is why we must unlock via hotswap.

i have the basic logistics of it down pat. now what i am wondering is this:

" xbox - new HD plugged in, hotswapping to PC/Ndure "
can i simply boot the computer/ndure with the NEW HD plugged into the xbox? leaving the stock drive, totally "off to the side"? will the ndure disc be able to CREATE and ASSIGN the HD key to lock the new drive?

that is my only real issue, off hand. i dont want to chance locking a new drive, or just being unable to create the drive due to not having a key on hand.

look forward to your guys' input. thanks alot in advance. ill be around!

Edited by osmorphyus, 01 September 2009 - 12:49 AM.

#6 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:57 AM

Yes, just plug the new disk into your PC, and boot with the xboxhdm CD. Once the disk is built you select xboxhdm option 3, then type lockhd -a to lock the disk.

Xboxhdm uses the disk type and serial number, together with the HD key from your eeprom.bin, to calculate the HD password, and uses that to lock the disk.

Edited by Heimdall, 01 September 2009 - 12:58 AM.

#7 osmorphyus

osmorphyus

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:01 AM

alright, but just double checking with you here:

together with the HD key from your eeprom.bin, to calculate the HD password, and uses that to lock the disk.

now, i do *not* have an eeprom.bin file for this new system. this is a virgin system right now. stock drive, stock dash, my eeprom folder in my iso image is *empty*.

will ndure be able to "extract" if you will, the eeprom from the box once everything is in motion? else, will i have to softmod the system first on the STOCK drive to OBTAIN the eeprom.bin file?

a very convoluted and redundant process, essentially modding it out twice. if i have to do that tho, let me know and ill do it up.

Edited by osmorphyus, 01 September 2009 - 01:02 AM.

#8 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:06 AM

Ah! No, you have to have the eeprom first, which means you need to mod the stock Xbox (or build an eeprom reader). Simple if you have an exploitable game and a gamesave on a memory card, a bit of a pain of you have to hotswap every time.... smile.gif

#9 osmorphyus

osmorphyus

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:24 AM

check this out, man. i have a homemade usb adapter from a dead controller plug. i plugged a usb keyboard into it and found i had the wires backwards on it. so i plug the KB in, and it works, but the status lights do not function on it (caps lock, num lock, etc.).

anyway, i plugged my USB drive into it, and booted my 1.6 box with it plugged in. all it did was blink the light on the USB drive, and kept "stuttering" the xbox system. it didnt harm the box or the USB drive.

on my particular adapter, my wireset is as follows:

CODE
  yeah, you all love my diagram, i know.  
[b]xbox controller end:  [/b]
green   |   white   |   black   |   red
   |         |               |                
   |         |               |                
green   | orange |    blue| white
[b]USB port end[/b]

the USB drive is a GFM, 2Gb. its not on the compatibility list for USB drives, but i was wondering if it is normal for the system to "stutter" when the drive is plugged in, as well with the KB lights not activating.

when i wire it all up green/green, white/white, red/orange, black/blue, nothing responds at all, which is why for a long time i thought something was 'wrong' with my adapter.

its frustrating to have to mod it once and then mod it again, but ill do it up if i have to. if i could get this usb drive to work as an action replay tho, i'd love that. i have an original splinter cell disc. afterall.

as for the eeprom reader, i dont have the parts to build at this very moment, and id like to get on with this. i will like to buil one eventually, though. i think its an imperative tool for modders. do you have one at all?

Edited by osmorphyus, 01 September 2009 - 01:28 AM.

#10 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:10 AM

The "stuttering" thing is one of the various ways the MS dash will respond to a USB drive it doesn't recognise as a memory card. It only accepts some, and there's no way to know if a given drive works for sure until you plug it in. There are lists around of drives that have been known to work, but they aren't "set in stone" (two drives by the same name might not have the same parts in them).

Note that entering the memory management screen with a non-FATX formatted USB drive attached will cause the dash to format it without prompting you. Assuming it accepts the device, of course.

#11 osmorphyus

osmorphyus

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:13 AM

right on bomb, thats kinda what i was assuming, i just wanted to make sure. basically, it sounds then, like my adapter is wired properly and the box is responding correctly to an unknown or unsupported memory card.

awwesome.

#12 osmorphyus

osmorphyus

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:24 AM

ok folks,

i acquired my eeprom.bin file.

i added it into my xboxhdm 'eeprom' folder.

i connect the new HD to my PC, set as master on primary IDE.

i load and boot xboxhdm disc from computers cd rom.

xboxhdm loads.

from main xboxhdm menu, i select option 1.

i type xboxhdm, sytem reports no HD connected.

i type xbrowser, system still reports no HDconnected.

what am i missing or doing wrong here that you can think of?

thanks for the help. ill keep all this stuff to this thread now. i suppose i did get a little carried away.

edit:
reading here: http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=244043

....and now we're getting somewhere!

Edited by osmorphyus, 01 September 2009 - 07:38 AM.

#13 osmorphyus

osmorphyus

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:13 AM

said, "could not find C: files, may have problems dual booting to MS dash, want to install ndur anyway?"

i said yes to continue.

why did i get that error to begin with? isnt ndure supposed to build all the files you need to keep the MS dash as well as the softmod?

also..

e:...nkp... - no such directory

e:...music?? - no such directory

what are those errors all about?

stupid incomplete packages.

now what?

i get the error:
no space left on device

its 80 gigs! i setup all the partitions! unlocked it befor e i did all this, everything!

Edited by osmorphyus, 01 September 2009 - 08:20 AM.

#14 osmorphyus

osmorphyus

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 12:26 AM

hey gang,

im about ready to hook up my big 240 to my other box. i have tons of crap on it that i dont want to lose. what is my best option for transferring my files from this drive to my new drive?

i have been thinking about using xboxhd to clone the drive. however, i dont want a whole bunch of different partitions on the new drive. the fewest partitions possible, the happier i will be.

when cloning the drive, will it shadow my c part? i *want* shadowc on. shadowc *is on by default* on this xbox i am setting up.

as for partitions go:
cloning will clone the c and e parts, correct? then i can create the third partition for the rest of the drive space, correct? how will it work out - i usually clone drives onto one partition, but the nature of the xbox's FAT requires an extra partition for larger drives.

OR:
could i setup the 240Gb with xboxhd, UNLOCK the stock 8 Gb drive from the box, install it in a PC, and FTP the data i want from it onto th new box once it is all stup and ready to go?

tips, ideas, suggestions, etc. are appreciated.

#15 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:16 AM

Look, you don't need a new thread every time you have a question about the exact same thing (hard drive installation, in this case).

If I were you, I'd just stick the new drive in one system, have the drive you want to copy in another, then FTP the relevant files directly between the two.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users