4 replies to this topic

#1 Zebedee Rocks

Zebedee Rocks

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 04:37 AM

Hi, so I was wondering, would is be possible to have an ext3 filesystem alongside the original fatX filesystem. The main purpose of course is for linux (primarily Ubuntu), if this is possible should I use Xdsl to edit the partitions? Or just start an entire new partiion (therefore wiping the entire drive)? I just wanted to find out before I nuked all of my hard drive data. Thanks to all those who reply.

#2 osmorphyus

osmorphyus

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Getting tea-bagged and gang banged
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:07 PM

thats not possible. the method tha the xbox partitions the harddrive is hardcoded into the system. hence, at boot, the system will read only a disk formatted with what it recognizes.

further, from my research, ubuntu isnt a very good system to run on a standard issue, 64Mb 733Mhz xbox. the newest release of xdsl is beautiful compared to the older release, and is fast. runs great.

something about linux installs on your xbox, however:
no matter what linus you want to use, if you have a v1.6 xbox, you will *not* get useable video results. the proprietary video chipset on the v1.6 has no instructions released, so no drivers have been made for it, and never will be.

#3 Zebedee Rocks

Zebedee Rocks

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:48 PM

Thanks for the reply, that's what I thought was going to happen.

#4 bc54

bc54

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 04 September 2009 - 02:11 AM

no, you can format an ext3 filesystem on the xbox, that is what the "native" option in the xdsl install menu does.

so, if you have a have an xbox flashed with cromwell, you can format then entire drive as ext3 with a live cd. if you have a softmod, or want to keep regular xbox functionality, you need a upgraded hard drive. then resize your f or g partition and leave empty space on the end of the hard drive, and create an ext3 partition. (you will probably use fdisk to do this, though i am unsure about its capability to resize fatx partitions.)

although you can make an ext3 partition, ubuntu wont run well on the xbox, so i dont know how useful it will be.

good luck.

#5 Zebedee Rocks

Zebedee Rocks

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 06:24 PM

Hey thanks, that is great news! Hopefully I'll be able to do that soon and report back the results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users