gman060692

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 05 September 2009 - 05:38 PM

I have started making a component cable from an avip connector taken from a composite cable. I used JaredC01's guide here for how to hook it up and xerxes3rd's table on the second page (link) of the thread to determine how the pinouts on the board corresponded to the avip connector.

I soldered it all up and tried it, but I got no signal. I have double checked all the connections and tested them with a multimeter also checking for shorts, but everything looks like it checks out.

Edited by gman060692, 05 September 2009 - 05:54 PM.

#2 speedypancake

speedypancake

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:07 AM

Making your own cable can work. But it's a lot of hassle...

Why not just buy one? They're not too expensive.

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

#3 gman060692

gman060692

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 10:48 PM

For me I feal that paying $30 for a cable is way too much. I live in Canada and it's very hard to come by an xbox component cable, let alone one for a reasonable price. All the cables on ebay Canada are over $30 without shipping.

I'm still a teenager in high school so the $ value of my time is about $15 at most so I decided why not take an hour and build one myself and maybe learn some stuff along the way too.

Edited by gman060692, 09 September 2009 - 10:49 PM.

#4 speedypancake

speedypancake

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:15 AM

QUOTE(gman060692 @ Sep 9 2009, 11:48 PM) View Post

I'm still a teenager in high school so the $ value of my time is about $15 at most so I decided why not take an hour and build one myself and maybe learn some stuff along the way too.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound flip. Doing something yourself is the best way to learn.

I had a go at building a similar cable myself last year as I had a couple of standard cables lying around. I too followed that tutorial, but there is so much info. it can get a wee bit confusing. Mine did actually work, but I had to destroy the connector to build it and I didn't spend long making it properly, so it was always a bit unreliable.

I might suggest you just start again? Build the most simple (composite) version, prove that works. And then gradually add options, like svid or component and digital audio...?

Good luck smile.gif

#5 kkillebrew

kkillebrew

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE(gman060692 @ Sep 5 2009, 11:38 AM) View Post

I have started making a component cable from an avip connector taken from a composite cable. I used JaredC01's guide here for how to hook it up and xerxes3rd's table on the second page (link) of the thread to determine how the pinouts on the board corresponded to the avip connector.

I soldered it all up and tried it, but I got no signal. I have double checked all the connections and tested them with a multimeter also checking for shorts, but everything looks like it checks out.

I looked at doing this also, but since the cable itself selects video modes by grounding certain pins, and the connector tabs are SO small, I have determined that it is just not worthwhile.

#6 iHack13

iHack13

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE(gman060692 @ Sep 5 2009, 05:38 PM) View Post

Do you get a Black/White Signal if you plug Green into Yellow Composite of your TV?

#7 gman060692

gman060692

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE(iHack13 @ Oct 28 2009, 10:26 AM) View Post

Do you get a Black/White Signal if you plug Green into Yellow Composite of your TV?

Nope, no signal at all including audio.

#8 gman060692

gman060692

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:10 PM

I just thought of something that might be a problem. The positive ends on the composite connectors I used are grounded to each other, should that cause any problems.

Here some pics of it.
http://gregory.m.you...om/P1070457.JPG
http://gregory.m.you...om/P1070456.JPG

Edited by gman060692, 30 October 2009 - 09:14 PM.

#9 gman060692

gman060692

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 06:29 AM

I had some time this weekend so I worked a little more on the cable. I found that the + being grounded across the connectors was a problem. I cut the ground between each with a hack saw and have made a little progress. The tv now displays incompatible format on the component in. When testing each connector on the composite video I get the following, Y a few gray fuzzy lines show up moving rapidly and I can read the word pictures from the pm3 sd skin, Pb half the xbox logo from the boot screen shows up in gre, it is cut off on the right side because it runs off the right side of the screen, Pr same as Pb except the grey is darker.

From what I know about the component signal, what I get when testing on the composite in was what I expected. The crazy lines and a little bit of the picture due to it only getting an incompatible sync signal and colour, and logo off center and grey due to only getting luminance or chrominance respectively.

If there is anything I'm missing please fill me in. Could the problem be just bad wires? Or is it something more like it's outputing rgb and instead of component?

Edited by gman060692, 22 November 2009 - 06:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users