• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:59 PM

Xbox 720 'not needed' right now, says Microsoft
Posted by XanTium | September 14 12:59 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From develop-online.net:

Microsoft Game Studios' Phil Spencer - speaking to Develop in a new interview published today - suggested that few are signalling for a new Microsoft console.

"Do we need to sell a new console at some point? I don't think we need to right now," he said.
"We'll wait until our experiences are at the right point, like we have done with the Natal camera. We'll wait until everyone is ready for it from a software perspective."

Spencer echoed the sentiment of Xbox division VP Don Mattrick, who notably stated that a Natal-powered 360 is - essentially - a next-generation console.

Full Story: develop-online.net

#2 metalcoat

metalcoat

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:02 PM

If it performs as demonstrated, I will most likely buy it. DO NOT OVERPRICE THIS!!!

#3 d4m4n

d4m4n

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:59 PM

Make the Xbox361 first. It's a Xbox360 with RRoD and E74 fixed for good biggrin.gif

#4 XBOXIZGOOD

XBOXIZGOOD

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:09 PM

I agree. I'm perfectly content with the 360 right. It still has plenty of horse power left in the tank to pump out even better graphics, its just that devs need to stop using the UE3 engine all the time and actually make their own game engines. Assassin's Creed uses its own engine dubbed Scimitar, and it looks great. AC2 looks even better.

#5 Ninjaman

Ninjaman

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:07 AM

QUOTE(XBOXIZGOOD @ Sep 14 2009, 03:09 PM) View Post

I agree. I'm perfectly content with the 360 right. It still has plenty of horse power left in the tank to pump out even better graphics, its just that devs need to stop using the UE3 engine all the time and actually make their own game engines. Assassin's Creed uses its own engine dubbed Scimitar, and it looks great. AC2 looks even better.

Maybe its time to start using Cryengine 3....for those who may not have seen it...sample of Cryengine3

More info and screenshots

#6 Muzzakus

Muzzakus

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:30 AM

Looking at games like Batman only wants me to have a new console sooner rather than later - beautiful, but still flawed. Imagine having more power ironing out any blemishes.

M$ is in a good position to release a fully backwards compatible console. Essentially a 360 with more ram and significant boost in cpu and gpu horsepower.

Existing 360 games can render at 1080p with crazy AA and better framerate. New games can scale texture quality and effects no different to PC strategy, however still within confined know specs allowing for full optimisation.

#7 trentdadi

trentdadi

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 03:34 AM

I think something like that was in the works for this next 'iteration' of the 360. Not sure about the better GPU or CPU but it was supposed to have more RAM. The devkits are also supposedly getting a gig of ram.

#8 somenutter

somenutter

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 03:57 AM

Its sad that microsoft wanna milk 360 for so long, but im betting the main reason is because of sony sitting on ps3 and not making there next console, or even a rumor that anyone is making there next gen consoles doesnt help

Why doesnt microsoft just do what they did with the first xbox and throw together some pc parts and make a new one ? theres some nice graphics chips AMD are making right now

#9 nightwishfan1

nightwishfan1

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 05:12 AM

QUOTE(somenutter @ Sep 14 2009, 10:57 PM) View Post

Its sad that microsoft wanna milk 360 for so long, but im betting the main reason is because of sony sitting on ps3 and not making there next console, or even a rumor that anyone is making there next gen consoles doesnt help

Why doesnt microsoft just do what they did with the first xbox and throw together some pc parts and make a new one ? theres some nice graphics chips AMD are making right now

^^^Cause it would be the same problem they had with Nvidia all over again. Regardless of who they would choose to use for their graphics chips they would have to iron out licensing fees, and with a top graphics chip maker such as AMD the fees most likely wont be very appealing to MS. This is exactly what happened with Nvidia and the xbox last gen. MS wanted to license the chip to possibly extend the life span of the system while presumably releasing the 360 during that extended life span. Nvidia wanted a pretty high fee though, and MS wasnt having any of it, and they canned the xbox, and future plans they may have had for it cause of it.

So obviously if they did something like that again chances are 50/50 they would encounter the same problem again given the idea of them using a high profile chip maker.

#10 darkshadow2k8

darkshadow2k8

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:17 AM

cryengine looks so awesome

#11 chronno

chronno

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, Xbox, Xbox, XBox
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE(d4m4n @ Sep 14 2009, 07:59 PM) View Post

Make the Xbox361 first. It's a Xbox360 with RRoD and E74 fixed for good biggrin.gif

With how I see some people treat their 360s with the dirt and the grime and the enclosed spaces and the banging around (and the intentional damage done by people on this site), that will never happen.

#12 HotKnife420

HotKnife420

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 06:53 PM

QUOTE(chronno @ Sep 16 2009, 03:57 PM) View Post

With how I see some people treat their 360s with the dirt and the grime and the enclosed spaces and the banging around (and the intentional damage done by people on this site), that will never happen.

The dirt and grime have very little to do with it. I've seen tons of 360s in bad environments that are working fine since launch still, and others that look brand new which are RRoD'd already (and everything in-between).

The reason they die is because of several design flaws, which "dirt and grime" don't affect nearly as much as the hazards produced by the xbox itself (uneven mount points, heat, flimsy heatsink holds with little support, etc).

The only guaranteed way to avoid the RRoD (for now) is to not turn on the 360, ever biggrin.gif

#13 Giga_Death

Giga_Death

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 04:01 PM

for a moment I thought it said "720p not needed right now". . .

Releasing a next gen console too soon and it won't be able to do complex graphics at 1080p, resources for that are miles away at this point for a mass market price sensitive product. Maybe by 2013-14 it will be time. MS also wants to flesh out natal.

Just as an example MGS4/Halo and other big titles are running at sub-hd levels to free up resources.

#14 Halcyon-X12

Halcyon-X12

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 10:37 PM

"Not needed" doesn't mean "We're not working on it." Of course they want you to still buy that 360 instead of holding off for the next console. MS is known for launching early and wanting a shorter console life cycle... of course they're still trying to rush out the 720 and be early for the next generation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users