5 replies to this topic

#1 synapse80

synapse80

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:59 AM

Hi All,

Basically to cut a long story short, I need to regain access to MS Dash so that I can fix aspect ratio issues. I've a working soft mod running EvoX, can FTP into it just fine, but to cut a long story my burner is quite broken and I've spent way more than my budget for the month trying to fix it (long long story) which means I cant run Slayers or AutoinstallerDeluxe because I don't have either on disc, and it seems Qwix hates both (stalls when trying to FTP them).

I've downloaded the MS Dash and FTP'd it to the box. I renamed it to xboxdash2.xbe so that it wouldn't blow away my FTP access as I modded by hotswap and don't have any mod games. When I run it via the XBMC file manager though I get an error 21....

I know I may be asking too much here but if anyone can throw some ideas my way I'd really appreciate it!

#2 2 Bunny

2 Bunny

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 16 September 2009 - 01:15 AM

QUOTE(synapse80 @ Sep 15 2009, 02:59 AM) View Post
Hi All,

Basically to cut a long story short, I need to regain access to MS Dash so that I can fix aspect ratio issues. I've a working soft mod running EvoX, can FTP into it just fine, but to cut a long story my burner is quite broken and I've spent way more than my budget for the month trying to fix it (long long story) which means I cant run Slayers or AutoinstallerDeluxe because I don't have either on disc, and it seems Qwix hates both (stalls when trying to FTP them).

I've downloaded the MS Dash and FTP'd it to the box. I renamed it to xboxdash2.xbe so that it wouldn't blow away my FTP access as I modded by hotswap and don't have any mod games. When I run it via the XBMC file manager though I get an error 21....

I know I may be asking too much here but if anyone can throw some ideas my way I'd really appreciate it!

Well, these can be fixed more easily by using the xBox Media Center. It can modify the xBox Dashboard Aspect ratio/High Definition Settings. If you Use the xBox Media Center, the option is hidden under the settings under "video hardware". I transfer my xBox between screens sometimes, and this throws me off sometimes for a few minutes until I can remember that.

- 2 Bunny

PS: What is wrong with your drive?

#3 synapse80

synapse80

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:58 AM

Hey Bunny,

Its actually the ratio in games that is the problem and I can't get it right no matter what... there's a thread I made in this forum about it actually, where the conclusion was that I needed to change ratio in the MS Dash.

Ahhh... the drive. The story is so long and ridiculous that I think I will tell it...

I bought new RAM + CPU + MoBo recently, and when I installed it all, my DVD drive was no longer recognised. I removed all cards and the drive was then recognised so I came to the conclusion it was a power supply issue, as in my current PSU didn't have enough juice to run the drive and the vid card at the same time... so I shelled out for a new better quality (read pricey) one.

Installed the PSU and, of course, the drive still didn't work. Took the whole thing back to the shop and they swapped out the video card and the drive appeared, so it seems somehow the video card was shorting out the IDE port on the mobo... weird...

Anyway, I shelled out for the new vid card, got the whole thing back home, installed some drivers from the DVD drive and then tried to burn a CD. The burn failed, so I tried another one... failed again. I then tried to read a driver CD that I had just used and it no longer read.... took a look at the stack of discs I was trying to burn with, they all of them, every last one, had a sticky residue on the bottom of them... a bad batch from the manufacturer.... A bad batch that I guess spun up, sprayed the residue all over the inside of my drive, including the laser, and destroyed the burner I'd just spent hundreds of dollars trying to get working again. Now the drive reads every disc I put into it as a single track audio CD sad.gif

Edited by synapse80, 16 September 2009 - 04:03 AM.

#4 2 Bunny

2 Bunny

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 12:23 PM

QUOTE(synapse80 @ Sep 15 2009, 10:58 PM) View Post
Hey Bunny,

Its actually the ratio in games that is the problem and I can't get it right no matter what... there's a thread I made in this forum about it actually, where the conclusion was that I needed to change ratio in the MS Dash.

Ahhh... the drive. The story is so long and ridiculous that I think I will tell it...

I bought new RAM + CPU + MoBo recently, and when I installed it all, my DVD drive was no longer recognised. I removed all cards and the drive was then recognised so I came to the conclusion it was a power supply issue, as in my current PSU didn't have enough juice to run the drive and the vid card at the same time... so I shelled out for a new better quality (read pricey) one.

Installed the PSU and, of course, the drive still didn't work. Took the whole thing back to the shop and they swapped out the video card and the drive appeared, so it seems somehow the video card was shorting out the IDE port on the mobo... weird...

Anyway, I shelled out for the new vid card, got the whole thing back home, installed some drivers from the DVD drive and then tried to burn a CD. The burn failed, so I tried another one... failed again. I then tried to read a driver CD that I had just used and it no longer read.... took a look at the stack of discs I was trying to burn with, they all of them, every last one, had a sticky residue on the bottom of them... a bad batch from the manufacturer.... A bad batch that I guess spun up, sprayed the residue all over the inside of my drive, including the laser, and destroyed the burner I'd just spent hundreds of dollars trying to get working again. Now the drive reads every disc I put into it as a single track audio CD sad.gif

I know what you mean. I'm still telling you, you have to go under the "video hardware" properties. The xBox Media Center High definition settings, and standard eeprom/dashboard hd settings are in different places. I know this works for me, because my MS dash doesn't really work right.

Wow, what a shame about the video card, drive, motherboard, and DVD drive.

- 2 Bunny

#5 synapse80

synapse80

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE(2 Bunny @ Sep 16 2009, 12:23 PM) View Post

I know what you mean. I'm still telling you, you have to go under the "video hardware" properties. The xBox Media Center High definition settings, and standard eeprom/dashboard hd settings are in different places. I know this works for me, because my MS dash doesn't really work right.

Wow, what a shame about the video card, drive, motherboard, and DVD drive.

- 2 Bunny

Bunny, I could kiss you on the mouth. That worked!

#6 2 Bunny

2 Bunny

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE(synapse80 @ Sep 16 2009, 07:39 AM) View Post

Bunny, I could kiss you on the mouth. That worked!

No problem. It seems a lot of people had that problem, and the option is always really annoying (for me) to hunt around for.

Its a great day, isn't it? I even got my xBox Linux working again today. It turns out that I needed to not have the IR receiver plugged in when you start it up. Oops!

- 2 Bunny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users