X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:41 AM

Hello,

I have been trying to return my Xbox to its retail state for a few days now with little success. I was originally motivated by the fact that my games were coming up in widescreen regardless of any settings I set.

I originally used the Krayzie Ndure softmod.

I used Slayer's disc to return to retail, but instead of being greeted by the MS dash on restart, I am greeted by a limited Evox menu with only the options "settings" and "launch disc".

I would be happy to return to a softmodded dashboard if I could make games run in 4:3, but it would still be preferable to have access to the MS Dash.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Edited by monomaniacpat, 18 September 2009 - 10:42 AM.

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:13 AM

How many times..... Slayer's doesn't work on softmodded Xboxes.

Fortunately for you, Krayzie protects the C partition, so your Xbox is still softmodded, and the dash you are seeing is the rescue dash. You can restore your softmod by getting hold of UnleashX, renaming it default.xbe, a putting it in E:\Dashboard\.

You should then install Krayzie extras, and set up dual boot. That will give you access to the MS Dash by booting the Xbox with the eject button.

If you still have problems then you need to bypass the virtual eeprom and change your video settings in MS Dash. For Krayzie you disable virtual eeprom by putting an empty text file called eeprom_off.bin in E:\

If you do that you'll need to remove eeprom_off.bin then update the virtual eeprom (another tool in Krayzie Extras) when you've finished.

Edited by Heimdall, 18 September 2009 - 11:15 AM.

#3 monomaniacpat

monomaniacpat

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 05:38 PM

Hi, thanks for your help!

Sorry about using Slayer's. I actually saw the warning in the instructions, but I'd been advised by a friend (who clearly wasn't thinking straight!) that that was my best option, so I followed blindly. I haven't used my Xbox for about about 12 months+ so I'm a bit rusty.

Anyway, after sorting out my mess of a HDD I've finally got it sorted by following your directions through the Krayzie Extras and installing the MS Dash + dual boot, and then changing the MS Dash to 'normal'/4:3. Weirdly, though, playing games through Evox or other modded dashboards results in widescreen regardless of settings. But, since I'll always play from coldboot or after opening the drive, this is no issue.

If anyone knows how to fix, please say! It's definitely nothing to do with XBMC or installation menus, though.

Edited by monomaniacpat, 18 September 2009 - 05:39 PM.

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:09 PM

You need to update the virtual eeprom from Krayzie extras.

#5 monomaniacpat

monomaniacpat

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 10:44 PM

That's the ticket. love.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users