2 Bunny

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 19 September 2009 - 12:15 AM

I used that little Windows install disc that you download from that one site, and after learning that you can't have the IR Receiver plugged in while you start up the XROMWELL file, got it running, as well as 98. The problem is that the typing system sucks to terribly, that the only thing you can type in is numbers.

For example: Let's say I wanted to type in "Forums.xBox-Scene.Com". You press the "F" key on "Click N Type", and it shows up. Now you press the "O" key, now some glitch happens where it highlights whatever was typed before and thus once it responds to the click, erases whatever you had typed in before. FTP doesn't really work either. Is there any way I could perhaps modify the IMG file and put software on that way?

Which leads us into my next question, how would I play say my favorite Windows 98 driving game? Because the controller is only recognized by drivers as a mouse. I mean, if you read the other threads, you will know that I am working on installing a USB port, and I have a wireless mouse/keyboard kit with one receiver, so I could use both (98 comes with drivers for keyboards/mice, right?) to control the OS and Game. That one is less important, but then I have one last question:

What is up with all the drivers? The DVD drive isn't even recognized, half the stuff it could not locate drivers for, and drive a is "not accessible", and worst of all: THERE IS NO SOUND. I mean, you hear the lack of sound with a resounding SHUDDER. How can you use Windows without sound? Doesn't xDSL have sound, or can't it be emulated?

Anyway, sorry about all these questions in a somewhat "inactive" part of the xBox Scene "skinnex" community forums, but I was just a tad bit curious.

Thanks for all your help everyone! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

- 2 Bunny

#2 osmorphyus

osmorphyus

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Getting tea-bagged and gang banged
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 20 September 2009 - 06:46 AM

how can you use windows without sound?

are you serious? what do you need sound for? i run windows without sound DAILY. if you want to watch videos, download and play music, and PLAY GAMES, the xbox does all of that perfectly well, possibly better than windows does, with what we have available for it.

i think running windows on the xbox is more of a vanity kind of thing. what absolute functionality are you missing out on by just using xbmc, scripts, dsl, etc.?

as for drivers and peripheral functionality, adapt your peripherals to xbox usb ports, get your drivers for the devices off the internet, install, and use 'em. if they work, they work. if they dont, use a real pc designed for windows.

if you want to modify the windows disc image, youll have to edit it with an iso program.

#3 osmorphyus

osmorphyus

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:05 AM

(edit time ran out) p.s.

if you want to use any system as a computer, invest in a cheap usb keyboard. walmart has 'em all day for around 9 or 11 dollars. want one cheaper? play the waiting game and buy one off of ebay. as a general rule, virtual keyboards are horrible. if you want better ftp support, install a stand alone ftp client. need to find one? google it up "standalone ftp client".

i dont know anything about the dvd drive problems, but i would guess that its because you are running windows in an emulated window. windows will be only as usable as the "system" that is "supporting" this emulated windows. hence, if you are emulating windows on a system which by itself does not support the dvd drive, or other devices for that matter, windows wont be able to detect them.

finally, want to play your old windows games? setup a windows box. shitty old dos games are already playable on the xbox thanks to dosbox, so long as theyre 2D or text based. if you want to run xbmc and still be able to play windows games, build a windows xbmc box. youll need a case, a motherboard, and a tv video output card. need help with that? cruise over to http://xbmc.org/ and start asking around in the forums.

#4 2 Bunny

2 Bunny

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 01:31 PM

QUOTE(osmorphyus @ Sep 20 2009, 01:46 AM) View Post
how can you use windows without sound?

are you serious? what do you need sound for? i run windows without sound DAILY. if you want to watch videos, download and play music, and PLAY GAMES, the xbox does all of that perfectly well, possibly better than windows does, with what we have available for it.

i think running windows on the xbox is more of a vanity kind of thing. what absolute functionality are you missing out on by just using xbmc, scripts, dsl, etc.?

as for drivers and peripheral functionality, adapt your peripherals to xbox usb ports, get your drivers for the devices off the internet, install, and use 'em. if they work, they work. if they dont, use a real pc designed for windows.

if you want to modify the windows disc image, youll have to edit it with an iso program.

So I could edit the IMG file with IMGBurn or something you mean? Wouldn't WINRar or something let me do that also?

rolleyes.gif

- 2 Bunny

#5 osmorphyus

osmorphyus

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 06:27 PM

winrar for iso probing...

i don't understand why winrar has a default action for handling iso or img files, because it has never worked for me. stay away from winrar for iso/img work. also avoid MagicIso like the plague. nothing good has ever came from that shitty app.

so, no, winrar probably won't do what you need it to do. try it out, but likely it will give you some kind of error saying that the file is corrupt.

#6 2 Bunny

2 Bunny

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 11:02 PM

QUOTE(osmorphyus @ Sep 20 2009, 01:27 PM) View Post

i don't understand why winrar has a default action for handling iso or img files, because it has never worked for me. stay away from winrar for iso/img work. also avoid MagicIso like the plague. nothing good has ever came from that shitty app.

so, no, winrar probably won't do what you need it to do. try it out, but likely it will give you some kind of error saying that the file is corrupt.

So, IMGBurn then? Or open it in Nero? uhh.gif unsure.gif rolleyes.gif ohmy.gif ph34r.gif

- 2 Bunny

#7 obcd

obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:41 PM

You could install daemon tools and load the iso to the virtual drive.
From that moment, you have acces to all the contents of the iso like it was a real cd.
You can copy the contents of the iso to your harddisk, and create a new iso with nero or another package.

regards.

#8 2 Bunny

2 Bunny

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE(obcd @ Sep 23 2009, 03:41 PM) View Post
You could install daemon tools and load the iso to the virtual drive.
From that moment, you have acces to all the contents of the iso like it was a real cd.
You can copy the contents of the iso to your harddisk, and create a new iso with nero or another package.

regards.

Actually, it is emulating a hard drive, not a cd.

- 2 Bunny

#9 Clockface

Clockface

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE(osmorphyus @ Sep 20 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post

WinRAR is designed to use ISOs in PC format, not in XBox format, which is the problem you've experienced. Try opening a PC ISO in WinRAR and it will work fine, but try opening an XBox format ISO and WinRAR will not understand the filing system, and will conclude that the ISO is corrupt.

#10 2 Bunny

2 Bunny

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 10:20 PM

QUOTE(Clockface @ Sep 30 2009, 10:01 AM) View Post

WinRAR is designed to use ISOs in PC format, not in XBox format, which is the problem you've experienced. Try opening a PC ISO in WinRAR and it will work fine, but try opening an XBox format ISO and WinRAR will not understand the filing system, and will conclude that the ISO is corrupt.

So, in that case, what would you suggest I use?

By the way, it is kind of nifty. I am typing this from my xBox with a USB keyboard/mouse combo with that nifty adapter I made. It is pretty awesome.

- 2 Bunny

#11 worldwhore3

worldwhore3

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Interests:softmods, xbox linux,
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 09 October 2009 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE(2...)
Actually, it is emulating a hard drive, not a cd.

no, dameon tools emulates a cd/dvd drive.

you are being given many suggestions for what to use on your iso work. try them out. tryu asking google what works "best" for iso work. google knows a lot. google will share its knowledge with you.

Edited by worldwhore3, 09 October 2009 - 07:07 PM.

#12 2 Bunny

2 Bunny

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE(worldwhore3 @ Oct 9 2009, 02:02 PM) View Post

no, dameon tools emulates a cd/dvd drive.

you are being given many suggestions for what to use on your iso work. try them out. tryu asking internet search what works "best" for iso work. internet search knows a lot. internet search will share its knowledge with you.

I was telling him that I was trying to emulate a hard drive image, not a cd image like he was thinking.

- 2 Bunny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users