2 Bunny

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:17 AM

I did some "softmod" work with my xBox, and I wanted to know how to determine which bios I have, and if the bios I do have is compatible with unlocked hard drives or not.

Thanks so much.

- 2 Bunny

#2 SnappyCrunch

SnappyCrunch

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:27 AM

As I understand it, the current softmods that rely on hotswapping a hard drive (not a game exploit softmod) modify a copy of the bios that's stored in temporary memory after the console has started. The bios that's burned into the chip on the xbox motherboard remains intact. You would need to buy a modchip or do a TSOP flash if you wanted to modify the bios itself.

If you're running a softmod and want to upgrade your hard drive capacity, you can install EvoX as an app (if you're not running it as your dashboard), and follow the instructions found here.

#3 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:54 AM

All recent softmods patch the MS BIOS in RAM, including gamesave ones.

All softmods need the drive to be locked.

There's more than one way to update a hard drive on a softmod Xbox - see here for a synopsis, with links.

#4 2 Bunny

2 Bunny

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:20 PM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Sep 22 2009, 01:54 AM) View Post
All recent softmods patch the MS BIOS in RAM, including gamesave ones.

All softmods need the drive to be locked.

There's more than one way to update a hard drive on a softmod Xbox - see here for a synopsis, with links.

All right.

QUOTE(SnappyCrunch @ Sep 21 2009, 11:27 PM) View Post
As I understand it, the current softmods that rely on hotswapping a hard drive (not a game exploit softmod) modify a copy of the bios that's stored in temporary memory after the console has started. The bios that's burned into the chip on the xbox motherboard remains intact. You would need to buy a modchip or do a TSOP flash if you wanted to modify the bios itself.

If you're running a softmod and want to upgrade your hard drive capacity, you can install EvoX as an app (if you're not running it as your dashboard), and follow the instructions found here.

Oh, I don't need to upgrade my hard drive. I just have an extra hard drive that doesn't support locking, so I was wondering if the bios I have supports unlocked drives or not (I assume it probably doesn't).

And no, that is the wrong way to do a hard drive upgrade. Here is the right way. Or at least the easiest way anyway.

- 2 Bunny

#5 OliG

OliG

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 05:38 PM

QUOTE(2 Bunny @ Sep 22 2009, 10:20 PM) View Post

All right.

Oh, I don't need to upgrade my hard drive. I just have an extra hard drive that doesn't support locking, so I was wondering if the bios I have supports unlocked drives or not (I assume it probably doesn't).

And no, that is the wrong way to do a hard drive upgrade. Here is the right way. Or at least the easiest way anyway.

- 2 Bunny

I think you missed the point of what you were being told. It doesn't matter if your (SOFTMODDED) BIOS supports unlocked drives or not as your BIOS at bootup does not support unlocked drives.

Before telling others what the best way of doing something is, perhaps you should get an understanding of what your doing. There is a much much easier way of changing your drive on a xbox but as you seem to know it all you don't need to me to tell you how. I watched your youtube video, as painful as it was I do understand your helping others. Just remember though that others are and have been helping you!

I would recommend you reprogram the TSOP with an Executer BIOS, all this can be done without using a soldering iron and takes less time to do than watching your youtube video. You could then use an unlocked drive without any problems but ofcourse you already knew that did you???

Well thats my 10cents worth!!!

Edited by OliG, 04 October 2009 - 05:44 PM.

#6 2 Bunny

2 Bunny

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 01:02 AM

QUOTE(OliG @ Oct 4 2009, 11:38 AM) View Post

I think you missed the point of what you were being told. It doesn't matter if your (SOFTMODDED) BIOS supports unlocked drives or not as your BIOS at bootup does not support unlocked drives.

Before telling others what the best way of doing something is, perhaps you should get an understanding of what your doing. There is a much much easier way of changing your drive on a xbox but as you seem to know it all you don't need to me to tell you how. I watched your youtube video, as painful as it was I do understand your helping others. Just remember though that others are and have been helping you!

I would recommend you reprogram the TSOP with an Executer BIOS, all this can be done without using a soldering iron and takes less time to do than watching your youtube video. You could then use an unlocked drive without any problems but ofcourse you already knew that did you???

Well thats my 10cents worth!!!

Sorry for digging up an old topic; my subscriptions get pruned.

Well, you have to find a conductive trace pen, or something to short those two points on the board to unlock the TSOP for flashing. Unless those xbox scene verified tutorials are wrong wink.gif rolleyes.gif (<closest equivalent smiley combo to a wink)

- 2 Bunny

#7 jedc53

jedc53

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:47 AM

It's not locked and it's not the hardware.I think you missed the point of what you were being told. It doesn't matter if your BIOS supports unlocked drives or not as your BIOS at bootup does not support unlocked drives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users