#1 Xbox-Scene

Xbox-Scene

Memba Numero Uno

• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 24 September 2009 - 04:51 AM

PR TGS09: Xbox 360's 'Project Natal' Awakens Imagination of Global Video-Game Industry
Posted by XanTium | September 23 23:51 EST | News Category: (default)

From the press release:

Xbox 360 today announced widespread enthusiasm from the world's leading video-game publishers for "Project Natal," a whole new way to play -- no controller required. Developers across the globe have embraced the technology and have begun work on titles that will deliver extraordinary entertainment experiences for everyone to enjoy. Coming just three months after "Project Natal" was unveiled at E3, the announcements at the Tokyo Game Show underscore the swift industry support for the revolutionary controller-free experiences being developed exclusively for Xbox 360, the premier games and entertainment system.

Among the elite publishers actively working on games for "Project Natal" are Activision Blizzard, Bethesda Softworks, CAPCOM, Disney Interactive, Electronic Arts, Konami, MTV Games, Namco Bandai, Sega, Square Enix, THQ Inc. and Ubisoft. Together, these publishers account for more than 70 percent of third-party software sales for this generation of console and most of the world's most recognized video game franchises.

"'Project Natal' gives the industry's creators and storytellers the freedom to dream of new experiences and to tell stories never before possible," said Don Mattrick, senior vice president for the Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft Corp. "The support of these creative partners testifies to the excitement that 'Project Natal' is generating among the most innovative minds in the industry, and is proof that Xbox 360 not only offers the best games and entertainment today, but will lead with innovation and new ways to have fun in the future."

Further details of publishers' new "Project Natal"-inspired projects will be released at a later date.

Underscoring the widespread enthusiasm for "Project Natal" among the industry's top creative forces, Xbox 360 is hosting a high-powered panel at the Tokyo Game Show featuring three acclaimed Japanese industry luminaries: CAPCOM's Keiji Inafune, creator of "Mega Man" and "Dead Rising," Sega's Toshihiro Nagoshi, creator of "Super Monkey Ball," and Konami's Hideo Kojima, creator of the "Metal Gear Solid" series. The three developers will discuss the possibilities for the groundbreaking new experiences that can only be achieved with "Project Natal."

Unveiled for the first time in June, "Project Natal" is a code name for a whole new way to play. Combining an RGB camera, depth sensor and multi-array microphone running proprietary software, "Project Natal" enables gamers to play in a natural and inviting new way, free from the boundaries of a controller through the use of sight, sound and motion.

Publishers, who received development kits from Microsoft in early June, used the opening of the Tokyo Game Show to voice their excitement about "Project Natal."

"Microsoft 'Project Natal' could fundamentally change the way players experience sports games," said EA Sports President Peter Moore. "At EA, some of our top development teams are experimenting with these tools with the goal of delivering a completely fresh take on genres like sports and racing."

"Activision is encouraged by the innovation that Project Natal will bring to the industry and how it can transform consumers' video games experience. We have development teams working on Project Natal development kits to explore the creative possibilities this new technology affords," said Dusty Welch, senior vice president and head of Publishing at Activision/Blizzard.

"I strongly feel that 'Project Natal' will expand the possibilities of gaming. It's yet another component that adds to the appeal of Xbox 360 and demonstrates to users the broad level of entertainment it provides," said Keiji Inafune, managing corporate officer and head of Research & Development Management Group at CAPCOM. "Personally, I too am extremely excited about 'Project Natal.' It's really going to stir up our creative spirits. I think it's going to bring new ways to play and new surprises to Xbox 360 fans and help further the development of completely original content. 'Project Natal' is definitely something people should look out for."

"Ubisoft sees enormous opportunities with 'Project Natal.' With the 3-D camera, your body can become the interface," said Yves Guillemot, chief executive officer of Ubisoft. "Any barrier related to the use of pad controllers that may have existed for potential gamers is now abolished. Ubisoft is already taking advantage of this major evolution to design new types of gaming experiences and attract more people to play video games."

In addition to the broad industry support, Microsoft Game Studios is busy at work creating a diverse slate of experiences that will appeal to a wide variety of entertainment interests.

"'Project Natal' is enabling our team of developers to create experiences we couldn't have accomplished before," said Phil Spencer, corporate vice president, Microsoft Game Studios. "Microsoft Game Studios will help lead the way in bringing 'Project Natal' to life."

While laying the foundation for tomorrow with "Project Natal," Xbox 360 remains the premier device for home entertainment today. Hot new titles for Xbox LIVE Arcade were also unveiled at the Tokyo Game Show, including "Toy Soldiers," "Snoopy Flying Ace," "Bomberman Live: Battlefest" and "RayStormHD," positioning Xbox LIVE Arcade as the premier destination to enjoy the most innovative downloadable games.

Xbox 360 is also set to deliver the best new gaming, entertainment and social experiences for consumers this fall. Not only is Xbox 360 home to the most-anticipated exclusive games such as "Halo 3: ODST," "Forza Motorsport 3," "Left 4 Dead 2," and new content from Rockstar Games including the Xbox retail exclusive "Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City" featuring "The Ballad of Gay Tony," which will also be available for download over Xbox LIVE, it will also be the only place to watch instant-on HD in 1080p1 with Zune video, and listen to personalized streaming radio right in the living room with Last.fm on Xbox LIVE. And with new social experiences custom-made for the television, Xbox LIVE continues to offer the most ways of any console to connect and share with friends and family on Facebook, and post tweets on Twitter.2

Additional information about Xbox 360 at the Tokyo Game Show can be found at http://www.xbox.com/...press/2009/tgs.

#2 chessmastor

chessmastor

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 24 September 2009 - 05:08 AM

Oh God. I cannot wait for Natal.
I literally jizzed myself when I saw in action.

#3 royvedas

royvedas

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:18 AM

That was a long boring marketing speech. Natal has the potential to be a revolution. Please don't f*** it up. I am looking so much forward to this.

#4 wilson2010

wilson2010

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:24 AM

im a casual gamer and to be honest i dont really give a damn. i like my gamepad. sleeping.gif

#5 modslave

modslave

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Everything xbox<br />Motorbikes &amp; Cars
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:31 AM

QUOTE(wilson2010 @ Sep 24 2009, 06:24 AM) View Post

im a casual gamer and to be honest i dont really give a damn. i like my gamepad. sleeping.gif

Me too. I love being able to sit relaxed and play. Even my Wii seemed a chore after the novelty wore off.
But im very excited to see what this new technology can bring to the table

#6 pigbait

pigbait

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:17 AM

Take that Sony (slap in the face) xbox is so far ahead it's painfull hearing Sony say hey look we are doi g the same as Microsoft but not as good.

#7 Lezlyte

Lezlyte

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:13 AM

It'd be great if you could rely on your console to survive. Just had a H3 edition console die right at the two year mark with an E73.

#8 Giga_Death

Giga_Death

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:40 AM

they'd better deliver on this.

I predict lots of wii-esque party games rather than many Kojima type productions until the next xbox.

consider the previous press release:

http://www.develop-o...-says-Microsoft

"Do we need to sell a new console at some point? I don't think we need to right now," he said. "We'll wait until our experiences are at the right point, like we have done with the Natal camera. We'll wait until everyone is ready for it from a software perspective."

Spencer echoed the sentiment of Xbox division VP Don Mattrick, who notably stated that a Natal-powered 360 is - essentially - a next-generation console.

#9 dokworm

dokworm

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE(pigbait @ Sep 24 2009, 09:17 AM) View Post

Take that Sony (slap in the face) xbox is so far ahead it's painfull hearing Sony say hey look we are doi g the same as Microsoft but not as good.

I don't know, I like Sony's approach. The wand has multiple buttons and can track the angles exceptionally well - the natal demos so far have shown more lag and trouble tracking hand tilt angles so far.

I am excited by natal, but at the moment I like Sony's offering as well. I would really want a combination of the two that could offer head tracking, movement and a physical object with buttons.

#10 xboxjason

xboxjason

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 03:29 PM

Anyone remember all the compliments Sony and M$ kept giving to Nintendo when they were developing the Wii's unique controller/playing style? Why the heck did it take them this long before coming up with similar offerings? rolleyes.gif

#11 chronno

chronno

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, Xbox, Xbox, XBox
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 24 September 2009 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE(dokworm @ Sep 24 2009, 12:55 PM) View Post

I don't know, I like Sony's approach. The wand has multiple buttons and can track the angles exceptionally well - the natal demos so far have shown more lag and trouble tracking hand tilt angles so far.

I am excited by natal, but at the moment I like Sony's offering as well. I would really want a combination of the two that could offer head tracking, movement and a physical object with buttons.

Coding a system to recognize faces, hands, and bodies is hard. Everyone's hands are different, everyone's face is different. Some people are shorter, some are fatter. The coding behind the natal has to be crazy advanced to be able to tell that what it's seeing is a hand and not a foot or a head. With that level of coding, it could easily be limited to recognizing a ball on a stick with a specific size, shape, and color (like how the PS3 douse it).

It's inevitable that accessories will be released to work with the Natal. The best part about that is it doesn't have to be limited to a ball on a stick. For all we know, the next Halo game will come out with an assault rifle with a working trigger, manual reload function, and even an LCD display for remaining ammo or sniper scope (yeah, I don't see that happening).

#12 DURDADUR

DURDADUR

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 24 September 2009 - 05:37 PM

to be honest, i am not sure what to expect from this. i feel it will attract more people to the 360, but at the same time casual gamers, like myself, may not find this all that promising at first look. what i am excited about, and i think other casual gamers should be too, are the possibilities of natal being combined with the standard gamepad. giving you the ability to play the game how its always been played but with added extras thanks to natal. but who knows, maybe that won't happen as often as strictly natal based games. i guess time will tell and i'll just keep my hopes up

#13 Lordscr

Lordscr

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 04:13 AM

I don't know about anyone else, but when I think of " the world's most recognized video game franchises", I can really think of any that come from Disney Interactive or MTV Games. biggrin.gif

#14 Strikerzex911

Strikerzex911

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:20 PM

QUOTE(Lordscr @ Sep 24 2009, 11:13 PM) View Post

I don't know about anyone else, but when I think of " the world's most recognized video game franchises", I can really think of any that come from Disney Interactive or MTV Games. biggrin.gif

Pimp my Ride. biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users