Photo

Why Wont My Bios Edit? Aaaaarrrrggggghhhh!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 supasparky

supasparky

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 05:36 AM

YES I HAVE SEARCHED AND SEARCHED AND SEARCHED AND SEARCHED

i have a V1.1 with a DuoX2 GS (BLUE)on it. I want to run XBMC as the primary dash eventually so i can run it in my car.

I downloaded the 4981.67 bios from the autoinstaller 4.5 disc and am trying to modify it so that...

1) i can run the xbox WITHOUT a DVD drive.

2) Disable all "xbox" flubber or startup grafix to either a blank screen or a custom image.

MY PROBLEM SO FAR IS....

when i try to load the bios into the XBtool it comes up with an error "invalid kernel" or something similar...I beleive this may have something to with an RC4 key???
Ok so i gave up on trying to find any info on that *&$#$* XBTool programme as everyone says :
"Just load in the bios and modify it'
WRONG! IT WON"*&^*&^ LOAD IN!

X2ool PROBLEMS: I can load in the 4981.67 bios and modify all i like but when i FTP it into my xbox's "Bios" folder and reflash the changes such as dvd uncheck etc DONT WORK!!!!!

I think i have given myself a brain tumor searching the net for answers and im just about to throw this damn xbox out the window if i cant get any decent info soon.

SO QUESTIONS ARE.

1) What bios should i use and what should i edit it with?
2) IS THERE A PRE MODIFIED BIOS THAT I CAN DOWNLOAD FROM SOMEWHERE AND LOAD THAT INTO MY XBOX VIA FTP to acheive what i want?
3)why wont XBtool load in my bioses off the Auto installer disc?

4) Why wont X2ool actually save or execute the changes i make to the bios????

5) is there a CURRENT TUTORIAL that is more specific step by step tutorial than "just open the bios and modify it" type of thing that seems to be 99% of tutorials out on the net.

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:56 AM

You don't mention which version of XBTool you are using - you have to use XBTool 1.0.23 for X2.4981.

Better still, use X2.5035 as your BIOS, and use X2ool 1.0.4 to modify it - although in reality 99% of the configuration of X2.5035 is done by editing x2config.ini with a text editor. That's much better for what you want, because you flash the BIOS once, then you can change its boot behaviour by editing x2config.ini with notepad, and using FTP to transfer it to the root of the E partition, which is loads easier than editing the BIOS and reflashing the chip.

#3 supasparky

supasparky

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:34 PM

thanks for that
the version of x2ool i have is: 1.0.4.0

the version of XBTool is 1.0.18.3

i have done a quick look through the AID disk and found the 5035.137 bios and in bios extras i have found the X2.config file...
I Take it that the 5035.137 is the corrsct one for my 250 gig Hard drive?

so i just need to ftp the 5035.137 file to my "Bios" folder in the xbox and flash it to the chip using evoX. then ftp in the X2.config file to the root of my c drive to REPLACE the config.xml file that is there? Correct?
are ther any other changes that i need to make to any more files??

i will be replacing EvoX as my dash with XBMC installed into C drive...will this stuff up the config file at all in the root of C?

is there an order in which i need to make the bios and config file changes? I.e do i replace the config in C THEN flash the bios or flash 5035 fist then FTP in the new config file to C drive?

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:43 PM

So, wrong version of Xbtool......

Which BIOS you use depends on how you want the disk set up by default. x2.5035.bin defaults to F only, x2.5035.137.bin defaults to 130GB F, the rest in G - although if you partition the extended partitions with XBPartitioner 1.1 it doesn't matter which BIOS you use, because it will read the partition table from the disk rather than using the setup in the BIOS.

ftp in the X2.config file to the root of my c drive to REPLACE the config.xml file that is there

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Sep 25 2009, 07:56 AM) View Post
editing x2config.ini with notepad, and using FTP to transfer it to the root of the E partition

will this stuff up the config file at all in the root of C?
Which config file in the root of C?

FTP the config, ftp the BIOS, flash the BIOS.

#5 supasparky

supasparky

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 11:11 PM

Thanks.
Yeah i have no idea WHERE to put the new X2.config file. does is go in along side the other files somwhere or is it a direct replacemnet for a config somewhere.
Most of the posts/tutorials say stuff like" put in your new config into the xbox" thats a bit like saying to someone who's never driven a stick shift "get in, turn the key and drive"
I had a quick look at an earlier back up i did (before i loaded in the 4981 bios) and i cant really see where it would go. the only one i could find was "C/config.xml"...is that the file to replace?

#6 supasparky

supasparky

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 04:02 AM

Ok so i put the X2.config in the root of E drive and it didnt work...so i had a play and enede up deleting The "X2 config" FOLDER which contained the Default.xbe in it and now my bios reads the config file ! YAY

I then opened the config file in noetpad and made some changes that are recognised by the bios such as delete flubber animationa and change fan speed...all good.
Except........

When i uncheck the dvd drive check by editing the config text file the XBOX still will not work without the DVD installed ! Or at least it takes over 2 minutes to boot the dash. GRRRRRRRR!

Why is this?

#7 supasparky

supasparky

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:59 AM

FINALLY WORKED IT OUT!

fOR FAST dvd-LESS BOOT UP SET THE CONFIG FILE SO THAT:

; do dvd drive check
doDvdDriveCheck = 0

SET "STOP BIOS TO BOOT DVD" TO 1

; stop bios to boot DVDs
disableCdromBoot = 1

if you dont set the "stop bios to boot dvd" to 1, the xbox will boot up but it will take minutes. by setting it to 1 the xbox boots up just a second or so slower than with a drive installed.

hope this helps all the searchers out there.!
pop.gif

#8 litspliff

litspliff

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Interests:electronics, music, your sister.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:06 PM

your trouble with XBtool:
if you get a kernel error, then your xbtool prob. isn't compatable with that bios.

if you patch a bios, and the changes don't take, it may be because the patching program doesn't over-write the original file, it creates a new file. (i've made this mistake before).

if you just can't get the bios patching down, your best option is x2-5035 with the config file in E:\, as stated.
ind5003 also supports a config file.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users