• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ImOkRuOk

ImOkRuOk

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, games: fighting, action, Gore and blood and guts and death and violence and satan
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 27 September 2009 - 04:25 AM

Whatever happened to the regular old SDTV users?
Not all of us can afford HDTVs, or would want to hook up a PC monitor to the xbox when the TV is much bigger! All these skins anymore look NICE on a monitor sure, but cant read a damn thing on the TV, and getting to their settings screens to switch skins is gettin to be a PAIN IN THE ASS!
My favorite skin used to be Vision, but now I dont see it anywhere.. sure there's Basic-Vision ... but it really fails to compare to the original. I do like clearity ... but honestly .. its not very CLEAR! Aeon/Serenity/MediaStream are all pretty much the same skin with different backdrops ... especially when ya can't read ANYTTHING on them ... I'm not tryin to step on toes, or start a fight with anyone ... but MY EYES ARE KILLING ME!

Now back to the regular scheduled rants/raves/trolling

#2 silps

silps

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:20 AM

I use an SDTV with my Xbox too and I know what you mean. I have always used xTV for my skin but recently switched to Transparency. I had to change the default font in Transparency for one from xTV but its still hard on the eyes!

I guess XBMC is moving on to being run from PCs connected to HDTVs.

#3 FourTwentySmiles

FourTwentySmiles

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 28 September 2009 - 03:51 AM

From someone who has done some skinning.........Things are the way they are. That is the best answer you are going to get. Before I started doing some skinning I asked for this and that, but most of the time, I was ignored or just "shot down". So........I learned to do what I wanted.

Things are moving to HDTV because HDTV is becoming the "norm". Is the SDTV going the way of the 8Track?........yes, but not as quickly. XBMC is moving towards HTPC because PCs ( and linux, and Apple) are much easier on Team XBMC to write code for,at least easier than consoles like the xbox. Besides, most consoles these days are already media centers..........why bother anymore? ( I wouldn't mind a good media center for my Wii though)

I am an Xbox user?.......yes. Do I like that they are moving towards computer builds?.......no. Am I going to quit using XBMC?........no. Will I find a way to be happy?..........yes. HDTVs are dropping in price everyday. The same HDTV that I paid 1100.00 dollars for 3 years ago can be bought for 500.00 bucks today.

These are things to think about. OR..........you could learn how to DEV on the xbox, and help Team XBMC keep the xbox alive. You could read up on how to edit a skin or DEV a skin of your own. It is a big world.......explore!

420Smiles

#4 Excalibur007

Excalibur007

X-S Young Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Playing Games, Guitar, Trumpet, Weightlifting, Rollerblading, Skiing, Drawing.
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:36 PM

Aside from many people not having money to throw at a new HDTV when their SDTV still works just fine, there is a much bigger reason that I don't want an HDTV. I play games from the old Atari 2600, up through Jaguar, Sega Saturn, Dreamcast and Xbox. All these systems look like complete crap on an HDTV. The only games I've seen look decent on an Xbox are those that support 720p. The up-scaling of 320x240, 480i or 480p just looks TERRIBLE!!! For the foreseeable future I have no intention of getting an HDTV, even if I could afford it.

Oh, and another thing... have you tried playing rhythm games on these HDTVs? Just try Space Channel 5 or the sequel on the Dreamcast. Even with a VGA adapter, the HDTV has to convert the analog image to digital and you get timing issues. Sure, with enough practice "maybe" you can get used to the delay in the display, but as for me -- no thanks.

#5 2 Bunny

2 Bunny

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 07 October 2009 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE(FourTwentySmiles @ Sep 27 2009, 10:51 PM) View Post
From someone who has done some skinning.........Things are the way they are. That is the best answer you are going to get. Before I started doing some skinning I asked for this and that, but most of the time, I was ignored or just "shot down". So........I learned to do what I wanted.

Things are moving to HDTV because HDTV is becoming the "norm". Is the SDTV going the way of the 8Track?........yes, but not as quickly. XBMC is moving towards HTPC because PCs ( and linux, and Apple) are much easier on Team XBMC to write code for,at least easier than consoles like the xbox. Besides, most consoles these days are already media centers..........why bother anymore? ( I wouldn't mind a good media center for my Wii though)

I am an Xbox user?.......yes. Do I like that they are moving towards computer builds?.......no. Am I going to quit using XBMC?........no. Will I find a way to be happy?..........yes. HDTVs are dropping in price everyday. The same HDTV that I paid 1100.00 dollars for 3 years ago can be bought for 500.00 bucks today.

These are things to think about. OR..........you could learn how to DEV on the xbox, and help Team XBMC keep the xbox alive. You could read up on how to edit a skin or DEV a skin of your own. It is a big world.......explore!

420Smiles

Yeah, they should've never made the "xBox Media Center" for Windows anyway! It already has Windows media player, DUUURRRR! If they discontinue the [xbox media center for the] xBox, well, that would just suck, and be really retarded. I can see linux maybe, or the apple thing that it works on also, because apple never does anything right, but not windows, and definetly keep it on what is going to actually go into your MEDIA Center, the xBox.

QUOTE(Excalibur007 @ Oct 7 2009, 03:36 PM) View Post

Oh, and another thing... have you tried playing rhythm games on these HDTVs? Just try Space Channel 5 or the sequel on the Dreamcast. Even with a VGA adapter, the HDTV has to convert the analog image to digital and you get timing issues. Sure, with enough practice "maybe" you can get used to the delay in the display, but as for me -- no thanks.

I have very rarely actually seen lag in those games as a problem on a HD telly.

--- As a sidenote to all the HD notes that were mentioned here, HD has been around much longer than any of us think. Think of it, your old 1024x768 lcd monitor from 2000 or earlier was technically "768p" or "720p" because it is 768 sets of horizonal lines displayed in a way that is progressive. My 1280x1024 monitor from 2004 is more HD than many "widescreen OHMYGOSHSUPERAWESOME720PPPPPP 720p" television sets of today. Multiply it out:

My monitor: 1,310,720
"HD"TV: 1,049,088

All "HD" really is is a square aspect ratio monitor with the tops and bottoms chopped off. Imagine that.

I just love talking about this sort of thing, I don't know why. Just like that one guy likes talking about random buttons on game system controllers.

- 2 Bunny

#6 Excalibur007

Excalibur007

X-S Young Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Playing Games, Guitar, Trumpet, Weightlifting, Rollerblading, Skiing, Drawing.
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 08 October 2009 - 12:26 AM

QUOTE(2 bunny)
I have very rarely actually seen lag in those games as a problem on a HD telly.

I sure have. With Space Channel 5 Part 2 in particular. I love that game and I'm very good at it. I can play through with near perfect ratings... but every time I've played on a plasma or LCD I can hardly get anything right. It never even occurred to me why I sucked so bad on those occassions until recently. I was a little embarrassed at the time, showing the game to a couple friends and saying, "man, I never suck this bad."

#7 2 Bunny

2 Bunny

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE(Excalibur007 @ Oct 7 2009, 07:26 PM) View Post

I sure have. With Space Channel 5 Part 2 in particular. I love that game and I'm very good at it. I can play through with near perfect ratings... but every time I've played on a plasma or LCD I can hardly get anything right. It never even occurred to me why I sucked so bad on those occassions until recently. I was a little embarrassed at the time, showing the game to a couple friends and saying, "man, I never suck this bad."

Huh. Maybe they were old televisions or something.

- 2 Bunny

#8 Blackbolt

Blackbolt

Skin God

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts
  • Interests:Graphic Design
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 07 November 2009 - 09:29 PM

Just so you know guys, the XBOX version of XBMC Media Center is dead now, no further development. It's no big deal though as the current and final build will be just as usuable for years to come, just any new features added to the other versions will obviously be missing.

There is a major reason that XBMC on PC/MAC and linux is a very good thing. Firstly HD, I know not everyone can afford a HDTV, but the HD benefits of using more powerful hardware are great. Also the Windows Media Player/Center does not support all the formats XBMC does, nor does it have the skins and plug ins available for it.

#9 2 Bunny

2 Bunny

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 01:12 AM

QUOTE(Blackbolt @ Nov 7 2009, 03:29 PM) View Post
Just so you know guys, the XBOX version of XBMC Media Center is dead now, no further development. It's no big deal though as the current and final build will be just as usuable for years to come, just any new features added to the other versions will obviously be missing.

There is a major reason that XBMC on PC/MAC and linux is a very good thing. Firstly HD, I know not everyone can afford a HDTV, but the HD benefits of using more powerful hardware are great. Also the Windows Media Player/Center does not support all the formats XBMC does, nor does it have the skins and plug ins available for it.

Sorry to revive such an aging topic, but my subscriptions got pruned.

Anyway, can't you use one of those codec packs for the Windows Media Player/Center?

- 2 Bunny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users