Photo

Unreal Tournament Under Linux On The Xbox?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Clockface

Clockface

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 03:08 PM

If you have the Windows version of Unreal Tournament (the original UT, not UT 2003 or 2004), then you can download a Linux build of the game program, and install it, along with data files from your UT disc, on to Linux, and play it.

I'd love to play UT on the XBox, but I know nothing about Linux, and the situation is made more complicated by all of the different XBox Linux distributions, and the fact that you'd need a virtual keyboard, and a mouse driver mapped to the left control stick of the XBox pad. So I was wondering if any Linux fan on this board would consider trying to get XBox Linux to run UT - UT is a superb game, and it would be fantastic to play it on the XBox.

The Linux game program is here at:

http://liflg.org/?ca...tid=6&gameid=51

and I'd imagine that most first person shooter fans on the PC would own Unreal Tournament, since it's so good and so cheap now (it's ten years old this year, and has been on several compilations).

Thanks for any answers.

#2 Red_Breast

Red_Breast

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Sci-fi. Wizards, orcs, elves are turned away except if you're first name's Liv. Reading. Games.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:08 AM

Following on from what you said about knowing nothing about Linux I'll point out something.

It might of come to your attention at some point that getting old DOS/Windows games running on modern Windows variants can be a pain.
It's just the same with old Linux games.
Actually I've had more success getting Windows games working on Linux with Wine than running the original Linux version of the game. Dependency Hell is one of the problems.
That link you provide. I haven't looked at it a great deal but I assume they provide a working mirror of the original Loki who closed in 2002.
Lokigames
Maybe they're trying to pick up the gauntlet as I noticed they have an installer, mentioned on the news page, for Warsow from 15th September 2009.
I could have a look for you as I have xDSL installed but I won't be able to get to my copy of UT for a week or so. But I'll try to remember it and have a look with xDSL.
I always thought Loki released a Linux version of the game but according to this link I don't think they did. They link to the same link you gave which suggests they did hand over the gauntlet.

Edited by Red_Breast, 09 October 2009 - 03:13 AM.

#3 Clockface

Clockface

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE(Red_Breast @ Oct 9 2009, 03:08 AM) View Post

Following on from what you said about knowing nothing about Linux I'll point out something.

It might of come to your attention at some point that getting old DOS/Windows games running on modern Windows variants can be a pain.

Yes. Older DOS games on 95/98 was a bit of a problem. Older DOS games on XP can be a nightmare. And don't even mention Vista (spit spit)

It's just the same with old Linux games.

Oh right. Granted I know nothing about Linux, but I'd have assumed that backwards compatibility (with other Linux programs) would have been a priority, unlike with Windows, where Micro$oft might want you to buy later versions of programs that you have that don't work with the newer versions of Windows.

Actually I've had more success getting Windows games working on Linux with Wine than running the original Linux version of the game. Dependency Hell is one of the problems."

I've never heard of this problem before, but I see your point.

That link you provide. I haven't looked at it a great deal but I assume they provide a working mirror of the original Loki who closed in 2002.
Lokigames
Maybe they're trying to pick up the gauntlet as I noticed they have an installer, mentioned on the news page, for Warsow from 15th September 2009.
I could have a look for you as I have xDSL installed but I won't be able to get to my copy of UT for a week or so. But I'll try to remember it and have a look with xDSL.
I always thought Loki released a Linux version of the game but according to this link I don't think they did. They link to the same link you gave which suggests they did hand over the gauntlet.

I'd really appreciate you looking at it for me (well, for us, as no doubt many XBox users would love to play Unreal Tournament on the XBox) - UT is still the best Unreal Tournament game of the series, to me and a lot of other people, and still one of the best multiplayer first person shooters ever, and having it on the XBox would be fanastic. Especially since new XBox games are so few and far between now - commercially it died years ago, of course (well before it's time, I'd say), and the homebrew game scene for the XBox is very slow now too.

Anyway, thanks for replying, and I look forward to hearing from you further, if you get the time, whatever the results. And if you do get it running, well, you'd be legendary, if only amongst the hardcore XBox fans wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users