X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 October 2009 - 12:56 PM

Hey madmab,

Since you're currently the keeper of many of XPort's projects I thought you'd be the person to make this request to. Would it be possible for future releases of these emulators to remember the last used game config settings as the defaults? The current builds only remember them until the next time the emulator is started.

The main reason for this is that I feel some of the current defaults aren't at all optimal. For example, in MednafenX-NES the NTSC Scanline settings are configured by default to cut 8 pixels from both the top and bottom of the screen. This means you lose half the floor on SMB unless you change these settings. Also in XboyAdvance the optimal frameskip setting is always 9 (the maximum) since the emulator only skips as many frames as it needs to.

I could go on about various things I have to set every time a play a new game so it would be great to either have the settings remembered between sessions or least come up with a more optimal set of defaults.

Thankies. happy.gif

#2 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:05 PM

I prefer more optimal settings myself. The bad thing about remembering the last settings used on exit is, what if the last game you used is not one that has a typical config that you use?

Now the frameskip thing seems like a reasonable thing to set. But the scanline settings are really probably more a matter of preference.

I personally usually just keep a game or two that has the most common settings that I use in my favorites list. That is how I've always handled it myself. laugh.gif

#3 Likklebaer

Likklebaer

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:08 PM

Ok then how about this; have the defaults stored in an .ini file in the save directory that can be manually edited. Any good? happy.gif

As for the scanline settings in Mednafen, I don't see why anyone would want the top and bottom areas of the screen cropped. Several games render graphics in this area and most of those that don't tend to just fill it with black anyway. Dunno what XPort was on with that one. huh.gif

#4 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:03 AM

QUOTE(Likklebaer @ Oct 5 2009, 01:08 PM) View Post

Ok then how about this; have the defaults stored in an .ini file in the save directory that can be manually edited. Any good? happy.gif

As for the scanline settings in Mednafen, I don't see why anyone would want the top and bottom areas of the screen cropped. Several games render graphics in this area and most of those that don't tend to just fill it with black anyway. Dunno what XPort was on with that one. huh.gif
Is that the case? I just figured he set it to whatever mednefenxNES for the PC defaults to. But I can un-default those.

I dunno. Maybe I can add an option to "save current game settings to default game settings" option or something. Of course it would only be useful on the first load of the emulator..

#5 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 06 October 2009 - 04:31 PM

I am releasing save files for my games as part of the Xtras. Even if you have a different CRC these are saved by game name so as long as your name matches mine it will work fine.

My main goal for most systems was to do this so people wouldn't see that annoying "first load" screen anymore, but maybe people want to work on getting the best video and control settings for these and re-upload the pack after they're done with their favorite games?

#6 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:56 PM

QUOTE(ressurectionx @ Oct 6 2009, 11:31 AM) View Post

I am releasing save files for my games as part of the Xtras. Even if you have a different CRC these are saved by game name so as long as your name matches mine it will work fine.

My main goal for most systems was to do this so people wouldn't see that annoying "first load" screen anymore, but maybe people want to work on getting the best video and control settings for these and re-upload the pack after they're done with their favorite games?
For emulators where the default settings don't guarantee a high playability rate I typically create a database (like I did with atarixlbox) of the settings needed to play the game. Basically all it does is check and see if any of the settings for that game are different from the defaults and will add to the database the settings that are different.

If there is any particular emu you would like me to do this with just say so.

Only thing I have not done yet is implement some way of allowing the user to import keyboard configurations. Although doing so oughta be fairly easy. Back when I originally worked on atarixlbox I had a ground rule to NEVER touch the common_funcs.cpp file. But I've gone way past that stage. laugh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users