• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 5150x

5150x

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:34 PM

Quick question about DosXbox. The core is build 0.66 or 0.68 if I'm not mistaken, whereas the PC version, DosBox, is now at build 0.72 or higher. Looking over compatibility lists on the DosBox site, the 0.72 build supports MANY more games than the older builds. I realize the Xbox has obvious limitations versus a half-way decent PC, but would an update of the DosXbox core allow for better compatibility? Playing games such as Monolith's Blood on Xbox would be great, and this seems a much more viable option than waiting for the source code to be released (which will probably never happen.)

#2 Clockface

Clockface

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE(5150x @ Oct 5 2009, 09:34 PM) View Post

Quick question about DosXbox. The core is build 0.66 or 0.68 if I'm not mistaken, whereas the PC version, DosBox, is now at build 0.72 or higher. Looking over compatibility lists on the DosBox site, the 0.72 build supports MANY more games than the older builds. I realize the Xbox has obvious limitations versus a half-way decent PC, but would an update of the DosXbox core allow for better compatibility? Playing games such as Monolith's Blood on Xbox would be great, and this seems a much more viable option than waiting for the source code to be released (which will probably never happen.)

Blood and Carmageddon would be brilliant to play on the XBox, but I think the problem isn't with the core of DOSXBox, or any other part of it's code, but with the speed of the XBox itself - DOSBox/DOSXBOx needs a lot of CPU power to run, and the XBox probably can't run the emulator at a fast enough speed to run Blood etc at full speed. Perhaps DOSXBox could be more optimised to give better speed, or it could have different emulation profiles which might make some games run better or faster, I don't know.

Hopefully someone will start working on DOSXBox again.

#3 5150x

5150x

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:08 PM

I agree, it would be great to be able to play those games on the Box, as well as Chasm: The Rift and others that aren't too demanding. I've tried basically every Dosxbox configuration with Blood and it runs WAY too slow to be playable. I had a feeling the Xbox just wasn't powerful enough to run those games under DOS, we can always keep our fingers crossed though! On another note, I wish someone could port WINE (basically a stripped down program that allows windows applications to run on other systems) to Xbox. It will run under Xbox Linux, but getting a game to load is a real pain and the linux program itself uses up too much system resources. I've got so far as getting Half-Life 1 installed and starting a new game, but it's just too slow. Guess I can always dream!

#4 Clockface

Clockface

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:07 PM

QUOTE(5150x @ Oct 8 2009, 08:08 PM) View Post

I agree, it would be great to be able to play those games on the Box, as well as Chasm: The Rift and others that aren't too demanding. I've tried basically every Dosxbox configuration with Blood and it runs WAY too slow to be playable. I had a feeling the Xbox just wasn't powerful enough to run those games under DOS, we can always keep our fingers crossed though! On another note, I wish someone could port WINE (basically a stripped down program that allows windows applications to run on other systems) to Xbox. It will run under Xbox Linux, but getting a game to load is a real pain and the linux program itself uses up too much system resources. I've got so far as getting Half-Life 1 installed and starting a new game, but it's just too slow. Guess I can always dream!

What about running the Linux version of Unreal Tournament on the XBox? If you could do that, you'd be a hero - UT is a superb game (much better than Unreal Championship on the XBox), and would be fanastic on the XBox. The download for the Linux build is:

http://liflg.org/?ca...tid=6&gameid=51

but you need the data files from your Windows CD. If you get a chance, please consider trying to get this working on the XBox. It would be the best news imaginable for us remaining XBox fans, so if you can get this working under Linux on the XBox then please post details for us non-Linux people to follow to get it working for us. UT is an amazing game, and it should have been ported to the XBox, but since it wasn't, the Linux version is our only hope.

#5 5150x

5150x

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:39 PM

I will give Unreal Tournament a try this afternoon and see if I can get it working. On another note I may also try updated Dosbox that can run under Linux or wine and see if I can get Blood running. I haven't messed around with Xdsl for awhile but will see what I can do. I love my Xbox for the fact all the games I'm able to run on it, I would much rather sit on my couch slouched out with a controller s than sit in front of my computer. Let's keep Xbox alive!

#6 Clockface

Clockface

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE(5150x @ Oct 9 2009, 03:39 PM) View Post

I will give Unreal Tournament a try this afternoon and see if I can get it working.

Please do, and be sure to post the results. There's no rush, take as long as you need, and let us know how it goes.

On another note I may also try updated Dosbox that can run under Linux or wine and see if I can get Blood running. I haven't messed around with Xdsl for awhile but will see what I can do. I love my Xbox for the fact all the games I'm able to run on it, I would much rather sit on my couch slouched out with a controller s than sit in front of my computer. Let's keep Xbox alive!

I know what you mean - there are lots of great PC games, but I don't like playing on a PC, I much prefer the ease and convenience of a console, and the XBox is a great machine, with so much untapped potential. It's such a shame that it's homebrew scene is so uneventful at the moment, when the PSP and Dreamcasts' repective homebrew scenes are apparently much more alive.

#7 Clockface

Clockface

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:32 PM

Any progress with UT?

#8 5150x

5150x

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:10 AM

Sorry it took me awhile to get back to you on this. I tried getting Unreal Tournament working under Xdsl and Wine without any luck. I just don't think the Xbox has enough memory to run it without a straight port. It will install but like Half-Life 1 it freezes up when trying to start a new game. Xdsl, although the smallest Xbox Linux install, still uses up a lot of memory. Granted my knowledge of Linux is very limited, but I couldn't get the Linux build working either without compliling it specifically for Xdsl (which I don't know how to do.) On another note I ran into the same problem with Dosbox. mad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users