• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 James1982

James1982

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:58 AM

I've been away fromt he forums for a Loooooooooong Time™.

Now...things have definately improved and changed since I've been here, and now I'm getting back into it. I didn't read too much on the filesystem employed by the XBox...but I was wondering about something:

Defrag.

Yup. The one tool I still use religiously on Windows to keep things running smoothly has been on my mind altely. I was using my XBox as a temporary filespace till I could get larger harddrives for my computer, and with deleting and copying files onto the hard drive alot, I'd imagine fragmentation is pretty high... or am I just being stupid?

Is there a defrag tool for the various custom dashboards?

#2 2 Bunny

2 Bunny

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:03 PM

Huh! I never thought of that. I wonder if that is possible, and if it would improve response time.

I don't use it (defragmentation) on my main computer much because it has so little free space, which according to windows means that defragmentation is "uneffective". It is only a 20GB hard drive, 18 or 19 of which are filled up.

Anyway, I hope someone figures it out (on xBox).

- 2 Bunny

#3 Samurai Waffle

Samurai Waffle

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 17 October 2009 - 05:22 AM

The way the Xbox file system is set up, it basically defrags it for you as you manipulate files. There is no need for a defragging program because of it.

Also 2 Bunny, you might want to look into a program called ultimate defrag by disktrix. It defrags your hard drive, and it moves the most commonly used files to the outside of the hard drive, which makes them read/load faster.

#4 2 Bunny

2 Bunny

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 09:01 PM

QUOTE(Samurai Waffle @ Oct 17 2009, 12:22 AM) View Post
The way the Xbox file system is set up, it basically defrags it for you as you manipulate files. There is no need for a defragging program because of it.

Also 2 Bunny, you might want to look into a program called ultimate defrag by disktrix. It defrags your hard drive, and it moves the most commonly used files to the outside of the hard drive, which makes them read/load faster.

So that would work with the limited free space in my laptop?

- 2 Bunny

#5 ganjatron

ganjatron

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:03 AM

Xbox doesn't need a defragger is the response always given to this question, yet each of the 3 I've modded have gotten slower and slower and slower over time. Maybe a stock one didn't need it, but...

#6 2 Bunny

2 Bunny

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:40 AM

QUOTE(ganjatron @ Oct 19 2009, 07:03 PM) View Post
Xbox doesn't need a defragger is the response always given to this question, yet each of the 3 I've modded have gotten slower and slower and slower over time. Maybe a stock one didn't need it, but...

Well, there is nothing different about the stock drives really.

- 2 Bunny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users