• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 23 October 2009 - 12:11 AM

Major Nelson: We have no plans for Blu-Ray on Xbox 360
Posted by XanTium | October 22 19:11 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From majornelson.com:

During an interview yesterday, Steve Ballmer was asked about Blu-Ray and the Xbox 360. I wanted to clear something up. Steve was referring to Blu-Ray accessories for the PC. As we have said in the past, we have no plans to introduce a Blu-Ray drive for the Xbox 360. In fact, the future of home entertainment starts very soon when Xbox 360 becomes the first and only console to offer instant-on 1080p streaming HD movies. With a library of thousands of TV shows and movies to choose from, Xbox 360 owners can instantly watch the movies they want, when they want, in the highest form of high definition.

#2 TheTerminator

TheTerminator

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 23 October 2009 - 12:17 AM

Why would he mean the PC? Blu-Ray drives have been available for a while now

#3 Crunchbite

Crunchbite

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 12:20 AM

Son of a Bi***! grr.gif

#4 zainday

zainday

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 140 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 23 October 2009 - 12:27 AM

I think , he's trying to use the jedi mind trick on people....lets review what STEVE SAID (not to what major nelson is saying , what steve said)

"In the first segment of our exclusive Steve Ballmer interview series, the Microsoft CEO and I talk about Natal, the blurring of console generations, and the surprising assertion that "you'll be able to get" Blu-ray add-on drives for Xbox 360.

Now , what did steve say? ANYONE? lol

I think he said BLUE RAY FOR ALL XBOX 360!

Think the cats out the bag (been out the bag), but they want to test the waters with the revenue income with the live service.
This way you can't actually OWN something, you will be paying to view , THERE movies.
I don't think this will take off , because people usually want a physical form. I can't loan my copy of a movie that's on live, but I can loan and resale a physical disc. This makes retailers compete with USED copies.
If theres no used copies, they can charge full price forever.

#5 sinister slipknot

sinister slipknot

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 23 October 2009 - 12:40 AM

With a library of thousands of TV shows and movies to choose from, Xbox 360 owners can instantly kill their bandwidth, in the highest form of high definition.

Seriously, even on Unlimited broadband plans many (especially in the UK) have a limit to how much data can be transfered per day/week/month and although the 'typical' user won't go over it a lot of people do, i can go over my 20mb Virgin threshold within a couple hours with people in the house using youtube, live and other high bandwidth services. 1080p is just going to kill it.

#6 TheTerminator

TheTerminator

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 12:48 AM

with a 7Mbps connection and a 30GB cap, I'm going over for sure.

#7 spinr34

spinr34

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 01:39 AM

caps shouldn't exist! if everyone starts transferring 1080p video over their connections, hopefully ISPs will get rid of their lame limits.

#8 somenutter

somenutter

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 01:39 AM

Blu ray is great if you want to spend a fortune on discs that will eventuallly be worth the same as dvds are now!

I would rather rent films as and when i need them, which isnt that often.

Also as far as internet goes if you have limits, get Be Unlimited, 50 Meg virgin,Orange Home Max, And thats just a few ive found online in minutes

#9 Halcyon-X12

Halcyon-X12

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 01:52 AM

What is this, the 15th time they've said that? It's obvious people are asking for it, just put it in already.

#10 majik655

majik655

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 02:11 AM

....the future of home entertainment starts very soon when Xbox 360 becomes the first and only console to offer instant-on 1080p streaming HD movies. With a library of thousands of TV shows and movies to choose from, Xbox 360 owners can instantly watch the movies they want, when they want, in the highest form of high definition.

Yeah... because that is totally the same as owning it on disk to play ANYWHERE. And as many times as I want.

Of course BR will not be on the 360....why when they can come out with another console that will have it. The streaming or downloading will due until then.

#11 xjustsumloserx

xjustsumloserx

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 02:23 AM

even if they release one, you know what the price point will be. 199.99USD. Why would anyone pay 200 dollars for a bluray player when they can spend 100 more and get a PS3? Bad move to release a player.

#12 wilson2010

wilson2010

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 02:41 AM

id appreciate a blu ray player. i am already on thin ice with comcast. i use my internet privately and for business where i have to shovel a lot of data. jester.gif

#13 PuckX

PuckX

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, Xbox 360, PC, Snowboarding, Hockey, Crotchrockets, and that sweet sweet 'tang
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 23 October 2009 - 03:56 AM

Blu-Ray was outdated almost the instant it was released. There will be no Blu-Ray player for the XBox, and in a year no one will care.

When will you people learn, physical media is on the way out.

#14 Lecsi

Lecsi

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 04:20 AM

royalties sucks huh M$? They are trying to make Blu ray useless because they lost the HD media format battle.
I have my BR discs and ill still use them on my BRplayer. Ill not stream your s**t. I can watch movies in my country house -where i dont have internet- with my simple player.
Still, xbox live in brazil SUCKS!! actually we dont have it here yet after 3yr of x360 release. I like my xbox360 original because i play in US live. But I recommend everyone here that dont want to use US live to crack their xboxes. Xbox without live = nothing... its like a simple n64, ps1, with very improved graphics...

I still cant believe there are people that still prefer digital media! IT SUCKS! Go sell a game that you didnt like or that you dont want anymore. You cant, crap. Even thou, I prefer collecting my movies and game boxes...

BR player for xbox360 would be expensive because M$ multiply the price of its acessories by 10

Edited by Lecsi, 23 October 2009 - 04:28 AM.

#15 TMownsu

TMownsu

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 23 October 2009 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE(Lecsi @ Oct 22 2009, 08:20 PM) View Post

royalties sucks huh M$? They are trying to make Blu ray useless because they lost the HD media format battle.

Microsoft was never in a format war with Sony.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users