#1 wildwild

wildwild

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:08 AM

Hi all,

I have a Falcon Xbox 360 which I will open up and flash the firmware. Is it necessary to replace the thermal paste with AS5 as a precautionary action to avoid the RROD? Is the original thermal paste so BAD that replacing it is necessary? I will use a fan shroud instead.

It's the same stuff used on the Intel CPUs and it can't be that bad otherwise a lot of people would have complained to Intel.

Cheers.

smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

#2 MadMaxGR

MadMaxGR

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,803 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:24 AM

Your Intel CPUs have a fan over the heatsinks to keep them cool as well, the xbox doesn't! So, I don't believe to use common CPU thermal pastes on XBOX chips is good idea. Arctic Silver 5 or any well known brand with similar high perfomance, is the only way to go. Also the Fan shroud is good addition to do as well. Also put two RAM heatsinks (if you have available) on HANA chip and one on Southbridge chip.

#3 wildwild

wildwild

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:39 AM

Thanks for your reply.

I still have some RAM heatsinks left-over from my last graphics card repair and I will put them on the Northbridge and HANA chips. I am still not convinced that the thermal paste is the problem smile.gif

Cheers,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users