Photo

The Success Of Xbox Upgrade To Piii-s 1.4g/512k/133m ...

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#46 docentore

docentore

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 January 2010 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE(zorglub @ Jan 12 2010, 09:26 AM) View Post

I just received one of those gem love.gif

Thanks Trusty, wonderful work, hard work well done.

Let us know how did you get on with it, any xbmc found outs etc.

#47 zorglub

zorglub

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE(docentore @ Jan 12 2010, 07:16 PM) View Post

Let us know how did you get on with it, any xbmc found outs etc.

Yeah, i'll add my experience here for sure, all i can say now you can't go wrong, I used XBMC for years and still havn't seen anything better also I have no desire to change my habits but considering this upgrade as a revival that lets me view all my sources smoothly, i'll test some more later.

#48 Liquidvlade Hiraduo

Liquidvlade Hiraduo

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 22 January 2010 - 04:37 AM

I got one also from trusty about a week ago. At first I was dissapointed with the emulators because they went from too slow to way too fast, but with the patch, everything runs beautifully!!!

But XBMC itself, runs smooth as a buttered pig.

#49 zorglub

zorglub

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:54 AM

I feel dissapointed, I had a few times enjoying the system, but the temps in XBMC are alarming, 76C cpu temp and a 34C gpu temp... my fan is buzzing like mad.

After a close look inside, i can't see no malfunction in the fan speed but the heatsink did not seem to do its job

I did perform the 80mm fan trick , i pushed it to 100%, but yesterday after 15-20', it was overheating > 80 (180F) my testing ended by a marvelous orange blinking and i have to let it cool down.

Did you get some similar reports ? What could you advice me to avoid overheating issues and make a -usable- better cooling system ? Please let me know.

Edited by zorglub, 24 January 2010 - 11:17 AM.

#50 docentore

docentore

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:53 AM

QUOTE(zorglub @ Jan 24 2010, 09:54 AM) View Post

I feel dissapointed, I had a few times enjoying the system, but the temps in XBMC are alarming, 76C cpu temp and a 34C gpu temp... my fan is buzzing like mad.

After a close look inside, i can't see no malfunction in the fan speed but the heatsink did not seem to do its job

I did perform the 80mm fan trick , i pushed it to 100%, but yesterday after 15-20', it was overheating > 80 (180F) my testing ended by a marvelous orange blinking and i have to let it cool down.

Did you get some similar reports ? What could you advice me to avoid overheating issues and make a -usable- better cooling system ? Please let me know.

had that problem as well. Had to remove the dvd drive (never used it anyway), move the hard drive over and put an extra fan on cpu radiator. temps are around 65* all the time.

Probably you could do some kind of air duct like in x360.

Despite that xbox is running smoothly. Thanks again Trusty!

#51 trusty

trusty

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:XBOX,HDTV,Three guns project...<br /> to chat, my Email : trustyty@hotmail.com &amp; pansy_peng@vip.163.com
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE(zorglub @ Jan 24 2010, 10:54 AM) View Post

Hi,zorglub,

My 1.4G XBOX is with the same heatsink as you, and I never remove any HDD or DVD frames,
but every day at least 4 hours continuously run,no any thermal problem ....

Anyway ,I am sorry that you have the problem on CPU cooling .please help check firstly is there
anything touch the CPU heatsink and make it lost the contact with the CPU surface,..

Secondly ,would you please check inside the routes of the cooling air, the idea is we need
force all the cooling air pass through the CPU heatsink's leaves, this need we cut somewhere
of the HDD & DVD frame toward the CPU heatsink to open the entrance of the cold air and block somewhere
around the space backward the heatsink to the fan to avoid the cooling vacuum leakage from the
CPU heatsink,,,,,,,, thanks to have a try and feedback,,

Sorry again,,
Trusty

#52 trusty

trusty

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:XBOX,HDTV,Three guns project...<br /> to chat, my Email : trustyty@hotmail.com &amp; pansy_peng@vip.163.com

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE(docentore @ Jan 25 2010, 11:53 AM) View Post

had that problem as well. Had to remove the dvd drive (never used it anyway), move the hard drive over and put an extra fan on cpu radiator. temps are around 65* all the time.

Probably you could do some kind of air duct like in x360.

Despite that xbox is running smoothly. Thanks again Trusty!

air duct ,Good idea, docentore,,, Regards!Trusty

#53 supmax

supmax

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:XBOX 1.4ghz CPU 128 RAM 2 TB HDD
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:48 AM

QUOTE(zorglub @ Jan 24 2010, 10:54 AM) View Post

What is the room temperature where the xbox is running?
I have my fan running at 100%( i connected it directly to the power suply, not the MB) the CPU temp never goes above 70c. I have HDD and the DVD room. From what I remember xbox shuts down when temp reaches about 90c. Maybe try noisless fan from these guys:
http://www.wolfsoft....eparaturen.html
Or
http://www.newegg.co...archResult=True

Any fan should fit with the dimensions 80x80x25 mm

Also did you put enough thermal paste on the CPU? Let me know if you have any more questions.

Edited by supmax, 26 January 2010 - 09:38 AM.

#54 zorglub

zorglub

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:21 PM

First, tanks to all for your feedbacks and suggestions

QUOTE(supmax @ Jan 26 2010, 08:48 AM) View Post

What is the room temperature where the xbox is running?

It's a 'cold' room, never got over 18c, the xbox itself is under a projector, on a stand, it has barely enough space around.

Also did you put enough thermal paste on the CPU? Let me know if you have any more questions.
About this, i have to ask to Trusty, (the board i received was pre-modded), after my xbox got shutted down by reaching 90C, it tried to pull off the heatsink to check but there is a sort of coating on the screws, then i won't think to try to remove the heatsink without further indications.

@Trusty
No big deal and thanks for the support i'm sure i'll find a way, like you said maybe the heatsink has lost a bit the contact with the CPU surface,.. the custom cpu board has two attach points with spring, when i put a little pression on the heatsink corner with no attach, i found it raises too easily.

The Air duct is one path to follow, I have to find a good flexible material to build an air 'corridor' covering the cpu to the fan because i still need the dvd drive, another solution would be to put the hdd outside the case and fix an extra fan over the cpu, but i don't like this kind of nasty trick + become way too noisy.

Edited by zorglub, 27 January 2010 - 10:27 PM.

#55 supmax

supmax

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE(zorglub @ Jan 27 2010, 10:21 PM) View Post

First, tanks to all for your feedbacks and suggestions
It's a 'cold' room, never got over 18c, the xbox itself is under a projector, on a stand, it has barely enough space around.

About this, i have to ask to Trusty, (the board i received was pre-modded), after my xbox got shutted down by reaching 90C, it tried to pull off the heatsink to check but there is a sort of coating on the screws, then i won't think to try to remove the heatsink without further indications.

@Trusty
No big deal and thanks for the support i'm sure i'll find a way, like you said maybe the heatsink has lost a bit the contact with the CPU surface,.. the custom cpu board has two attach points with spring, when i put a little pression on the heatsink corner with no attach, i found it raises too easily.

The Air duct is one path to follow, I have to find a good flexible material to build an air 'corridor' covering the cpu to the fan because i still need the dvd drive, another solution would be to put the hdd outside the case and fix an extra fan over the cpu, but i don't like this kind of nasty trick + become way too noisy.

you can go ahead and take those screws off. Make sure you hold the bolts down so they dont turn. (ive done this my self) then you can check if there is enough paste. Although if your heatsink was already installed by Trusty, i doubt this is an issue.

Also is the xbox closed with the cover? this is important to create proper wind tunnel. I remember my xbox shutting off at 90c if I run it with case open and HDD case out.
Also try to connecting the fan directly to the power supply, you can do it with a special cable. Something like this:
http://www.newegg.co...1-009-_-Product

If the fan is connected to the Motherboard it may not run it at full speed. I have this same set up and my cpu does not reach about 75.

I am trying to install 2 more side fans on the heat sink flowing the air through the heat sink and out of the xbox, because I think think cpu will run faster if its cooler. And that could make that little difference in the HD movies.
Let me know how that goes.

#56 pkbunghole

pkbunghole

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:30 AM

Iv got my 1.4ghz to idle at about 58C.
The highest I have seen it reach is 63C after playing very cpu intensive emulation (the stuff that wasnt possible on a stock xbox tongue.gif ).

I have removed the DVD drive, and put a laptop harddrive in where it used to be, I have cut extra ventilation holes, and I'm using an iceberq fan on the cpu with arctic silver thermal compound.

Its all working great, shame im gonna have to open it up again when I decide to get a bigger harddrive for it tongue.gif (only got 40gb in atm for testing purposes).

#57 supmax

supmax

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:24 AM

QUOTE(pkbunghole @ Jan 29 2010, 11:30 AM) View Post

Iv got my 1.4ghz to idle at about 58C.
The highest I have seen it reach is 63C after playing very cpu intensive emulation (the stuff that wasnt possible on a stock xbox tongue.gif ).

I have removed the DVD drive, and put a laptop harddrive in where it used to be, I have cut extra ventilation holes, and I'm using an iceberq fan on the cpu with arctic silver thermal compound.

Its all working great, shame im gonna have to open it up again when I decide to get a bigger harddrive for it tongue.gif (only got 40gb in atm for testing purposes).

What kind of CPU intensive emulation are you speaking of smile.gif i wanna try

#58 pkbunghole

pkbunghole

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:02 PM

^

Play some Daraku Tenshi or The Crystal of Kings in CoinOPS or Tekken 3 in PCSXBOX

Theres alot of worthwhile stuff on N64 that can be run perfectly now aswell (although you need to use Surreal XXX B5 for the moment, since 5.1CE breaks support for loading large roms with 128mb of ram).

I would also highly reccomend playing Quake 3 arena, I havent tried it on 1.4ghz yet but I was very pleased with how it ran on my 1ghz box

#59 Rommul

Rommul

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:55 PM

I have a question for those using this board.

What size harddrive are you using?

I hope to be able to use a 1.5TB or larger drive with this board

but I just want confirmation that this will work with this board?

Thanks guys.

#60 trusty

trusty

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:21 AM

QUOTE(Rommul @ Feb 7 2010, 05:55 PM) View Post

I have a question for those using this board.

What size harddrive are you using?

I hope to be able to use a 1.5TB or larger drive with this board

but I just want confirmation that this will work with this board?

Thanks guys.

Hi, Rommul,

Though I don't know how 1.5T works exactly, But If you want try, it's better that you use IDE (PATA) hard disk instead of SATA HDD + IDE to SATA adaptor..because their command packages are different..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users