Photo

The Success Of Xbox Upgrade To Piii-s 1.4g/512k/133m ...

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#106 imgwpt0204

imgwpt0204

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:31 AM

Started working on my efforts on cooling the CPU. I have a 80mm fan on the way.

Took a look at underneath the heat sink and noticed the thermal paste was smudge all over the place on the CPU and on the bottom of the heat sink. I believe the best thing to do would be to remove and reapply the paste to give the heat sink and CPU better contact and increase cooling off the CPU.

Trusty did you mean Arctic Silver 5 from this website? http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

Bunghole you mention using an iceberg fan on the CPU. What power source did you attach the fan to?

#107 trusty

trusty

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:XBOX,HDTV,Three guns project...<br /> to chat, my Email : trustyty@hotmail.com &amp; pansy_peng@vip.163.com
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE(imgwpt0204 @ Jan 26 2011, 02:31 AM) View Post

Trusty did you mean Arctic Silver 5 from this website? http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

Yes,imgwpt0204,something like that..

#108 DarthMingus

DarthMingus

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:00 PM

I've managed to get my Trusty 1.4 upgrade to never go about 125F / 95F, even under load. Usually sits idle at 110F / 85F.

#109 imgwpt0204

imgwpt0204

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:12 PM

Darth,

That's incredible! blink.gif

What is your secret? smile.gif

I'm still in the process of fixing up mine and would love to hear on how you got yours so low.

#110 DarthMingus

DarthMingus

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 08:16 PM

Hi,

Well, I have two Trusty upgrades. I use both for emulation - one is setup on the HDTV, mainly for my gf and I to watch shows via the network and the other is hooked up to an old Sony PVM monitor for arcade stuff only. smile.gif

The HD Trusty is in a custom case, called the Xport Xpod. Here is a review from years back:

http://forums.xbox-s...hp/t254955.html

I had the case for years and it was actually pretty horrible for cooling, which I never realized. I found this out pretty quick when my new Trusty Xbox would power off when it got to hot! I found some posts on X-S about how to help by cutting out the grills for the fans - which I opened completely. Here is the post were people were talking about it:

http://forums.xbox-s...&...t&p=1909275

I have 3x 80mm fans on this case - 1 intakes air from the left, 1 pushes air out the back (where the stock fan usually is right behind the CPU) and the final sits right on top of the CPU heatsink. I had to cut out the acrylic and move the HDD to get this to work. I then cut a hole in the top of the case, right above the fan, to allow cool air to be sucked in.

I also replaced the heatsink with a copper one, which I cut down myself to fit. That was a pain. Cutting copper is NOT easy. However, using this new heatsink dropped the temps by about 15 degrees F. The temps also seemed to be more stable - ie: they don't seem to ever spike. Trusty knows about these results, but he pointed out that using copper is much more expensive and much heavier. Also, based on the reduction in temperature, it just isn't worth it - which I totally agree with. Intel P3s are VERY tough and can take the standard temps no problem. Mainly I did this because it looks cool and I wanted to push the cooling for fun. smile.gif

I also replaced the GPU heatsink with a tall aluminum northbridge one. I've been doing this with v1.0 xboxes forever because it gets rid of that little fan.

TEMPS > 125F / 95F under load, 110F / 85F - idle

For the Arcade Trusty, I used a red XCM case. Now, since I wouldn't have room for a big 80mm fan on top of the GPU in the standard setup, I decided to ditch the DVD drive. This enabled me to have 2 big 80mm fans. The layout is pretty much as follows:

- The HDD is where the DVD usually goes
- 80 mm fan acts as an exhaust behind the CPU
- 80 mm fan was inserted above the CPU heatsink - I cut a space for it out of that plastic HDD tray
- Custom copper heatsink
- Aluminum tall northbridge heatsink for the GPU (I also use one of the little GPU fans on top of this)

The last step was to remove the XBOX jewel on the top and cut a hole there to allow air to be pulled in. A friend of mine then sent me a clear jewel that could be popped on there when its not in use. smile.gif

TEMPS > 118F / 106F under load, 110F / 100F - idle

I do need to test the temps more under strain, especially for the Arcade Trusty, but so far, this is what I've been seeing. Last night I was playing CoinOps for an hour or so and those were my results.

Hope this helps. I'll post that heatsink model I cut down when I hear back from my friend. He was the one who actually came up with the idea and found the right heatsink. (He also has a Trusty) I'll take some picts eventually and post them here.

Talk soon

#111 gyhaizl

gyhaizl

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 12 February 2011 - 02:22 AM

I think P3-S 1.53G is the maximum upgrade
http://www.mysilu.co...tttj5e5ra63.jpg

I hope you use Mobile Tualatin, because P3-S noise, power , cpu cooling

#112 imgwpt0204

imgwpt0204

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:42 AM

Darth,

Sounds like a lot of work that you have done on both trusty xboxes and the cooling paid off big time. Congrats. I think however 3 fans is a bit excessive. Either way nice job on the cooling.

Looking forward to seeing the pics when you have time.

#113 DarthMingus

DarthMingus

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:36 PM

Well, one may say excessive - I say cautious. smile.gif

That GPU can get very hot and you can see that in the one Box I have, it never breaks the 100 F mark. The other hits around 110 F but that's acceptable. If the GPU died (heat kills) the mobo would be essential useless. I want these to last a while, so I'd rather overdo it a bit.

smile.gif

I think Trusty said the 1.4 was the max, but you'd have to ask him.

QUOTE(gyhaizl @ Feb 11 2011, 08:22 PM) View Post

I think P3-S 1.53G is the maximum upgrade
http://www.mysilu.co...tttj5e5ra63.jpg

I hope you use Mobile Tualatin, because P3-S noise, power , cpu cooling

Edited by DarthMingus, 14 February 2011 - 09:35 PM.

#114 leo5150

leo5150

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 03:40 AM

Can anyone tell me where to buy the 1.4ghz CPU ? I have like 4 xboxes that I would like to upgrade also I have 1 dead xbox and I was wondering can I remove the ram chips and use the on working xboxes??

Thanks

#115 obcd

obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 10 March 2011 - 03:19 PM

I think trusty is the only one doing the upgrades. The xbox celeron chip is a bga chip directly soldered to the mobo. It's not in a socket like a pc processor. You need special equipment to unsolder such a chip without damage. I also think he uses a custom made socket for the new cpu, as it's not fully pin compatible.

Considering the ram chips. I read somewhere that the 1.6 mobo ramchips have worse timing parameters than the others. If your mobo isn't a 1.6, you should be able to use the ram's.

regards.

#116 NYCXBOX

NYCXBOX

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:40 PM

Trusty still doing this upgrade?

IS it a P3 or a Celeron?

I want one - I bought a 1GHZ from you a few years back.

#117 gelberhase

gelberhase

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:34 PM

yep,
he still does them and he is using a P3

#118 gelberhase

gelberhase

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:34 PM

Did anyone ever experience problems with starting a game at all?

I tried getting GTA SA to work, but it doesnīt even start, neither from HDD nor from DVD, not matter if itīs patched for 1.4 g and 128 RAM or not.

The console simply reboots, I also tried it with the X3 turned off, so that it uses the X2 Bios on the TSOP, but still, it simply reboots....

everything else works fine BTW (the GTA disc also works, tried it on another console...)

any suggestions are welcome
-Toby

#119 gelberhase

gelberhase

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:50 PM

Hi,
first off, is there no EDIT Button here or did I just not find it?!

the Problem appears to be solved, it had nothing to do with the CPU mod, it actually had to do with GTA PAL Copies not working on NTSC Systems due to region protection.....
Sorry for derailing the thread a bit.

-Toby

#120 ubernewb

ubernewb

now 58% uber'er

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:36 AM

hey trusty, how much you want for one of these boards shipped to US zip code 98270?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users