12 replies to this topic

#1 mar00n

mar00n

X-S Young Member

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 11:15 AM

I know alot of people including myself would love a half-life port on the xbox. Excuse me if I sound stupid but if the source code has been leaked for half-life 2 and they have already put half-life into the source engine, would it be easy or possible to get a port going on here??

Just an idea here ya know.

#2 Foetopsy

Foetopsy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:GAMING<br />RETRO CRAP
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 01 November 2009 - 12:24 PM

yeah hl 1 is bringing back memories, the expansions were awsome too

#3 GTTeancum

GTTeancum

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 12:34 PM

The source would have to be legally released for anyone to want to touch it.

#4 Foetopsy

Foetopsy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:GAMING<br />RETRO CRAP

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:02 PM

its always the trully best games that dont get ported, i dont get why the companies who made these games dont just get into the whole xbox live thing and release a version for that, just think of getting achievments for playing something Diablo 2 on xbox live or so on, it would be awsome to have D2 on a console, and with the live these days being so good and with over 20m people playing, if money is all they care about then whats stopping them it's a sure winner??!!
or imo if thats not good enough just release the fucking code to the fans who still care about all this stuff and stop being so tight

Edited by Foetopsy, 02 November 2009 - 04:08 PM.

#5 GTTeancum

GTTeancum

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 02:17 PM

Porting is a lot more than changing a verb or two to work on a specific console - just ask sirlemonhead. For every port that would go up on the PlayStation Store or Xbox Live Arcade you're actually looking at a lot of time. There's the porting of the actual source code which, depending on how old it is may only serve as a reference and require a complete rewrite to work with today's hardware. There's graphical updates - because nobody wants to buy a straight-up port; they expect something more visually. And finally there's online support - because everyone wants to play over PSN or Xbox Live with their friends.

Long story short I see your point, but a port of an old game isn't as easy nor as lucrative as you might think.

As far as releasing the code is concerned why should they? What do they owe us? Besides - I wouldn't ever release my code to the public if I were a company. So many people take that code, change 1-2 things and call it their own. Or they flat out break the EULA that goes with it. Why not just play it on PC? Surely you have a PC faster than 500mhz. Besides - Half-Life 2 source code is not the same thing as Half-Life 1 source code. There are huge differences in the two. I suppose you could use Half-Life 1:Source as a base, but who knows what's been changed from the leaked source code, let alone what will have to be done to get it to run smoothly on the Xbox?

Edited by GTTeancum, 04 November 2009 - 02:33 PM.

#6 dballs442

dballs442

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Interests:Sustainability, Playing music, Mountain Biking, Snowboard, Games, Micro Beer, Camping, River Sports

Posted 26 November 2009 - 09:38 PM

for starters i would like to say half life one (namely counter strike) is the best game ever! pc (namely the mouse and keyboard) rules for fps's.

did they not release the source? i mean with all the mods out there seems like they already did. i dont code at all so i might just be cluttering up this tread but is the sdk the source? cause thats easy to find. the developers over at vavle love ppl's mods and promote them alot though steam.

#7 GTTeancum

GTTeancum

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:51 PM

The SDK is just enough code to make mods - it doesn't cover the core engine of the game.

#8 dballs442

dballs442

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Interests:Sustainability, Playing music, Mountain Biking, Snowboard, Games, Micro Beer, Camping, River Sports

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:55 AM

aww. yea see i know nothing about coding (for now).

i started to try to learn some small by my self to make and tweak mods for my counter strike server (with a goldeneye 64 mod on it) but got pretty discouraged when i started for i have no coding base at all to start with.

#9 Darkangel754

Darkangel754

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 01 January 2010 - 04:25 PM

I think what the OP wants is for someone to mod the existing Half-life 2 for Xbox with the files for Half-life: Source on the PC.

A better idea might be to mod the xbox version of Counter-Strike instead since it runs on the same engine as the original HL (Goldsrc). It would probably run better too.

Sorta related: Some people managed to mod the Dreamcast version of Half-life into Counter-Strike 1.6

Pretty sweet

#10 gman060692

gman060692

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 01 January 2010 - 05:35 PM

QUOTE(Darkangel754 @ Jan 1 2010, 10:25 AM) View Post

I think what the OP wants is for someone to mod the existing Half-life 2 for Xbox with the files for Half-life: Source on the PC.

A better idea might be to mod the xbox version of Counter-Strike instead since it runs on the same engine as the original HL (Goldsrc). It would probably run better too.

The counter strike port on the xbox was counter strike source. So it runs on the source engine like HL2 not goldsrc.

#11 Darkangel754

Darkangel754

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 01 January 2010 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE(gman060692 @ Jan 1 2010, 01:35 PM) View Post

The counter strike port on the xbox was counter strike source. So it runs on the source engine like HL2 not goldsrc.

I believe you are mistaken, the first and only time the source engine was used on the xbox was with the 2005 release of Half-life 2. Counter-Strike Xbox is a direct port of Condition Zero for the pc, which used the Goldsrc engine.

Here is a list of every game that uses the Source Engine, as you can see Counter-Strike xbox is not on that list

#12 GTTeancum

GTTeancum

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:13 AM

QUOTE(Darkangel754 @ Jan 1 2010, 10:25 AM) View Post
Sorta related: Some people managed to mod the Dreamcast version of Half-life into Counter-Strike 1.6

Pretty sweet

I guess there's a 30-40% chance a reverse port would work, but from everything I've read the Xbox version was a direct port of the 1.6 CS executable, which means that a lot of Half-Life stuff was probably cut for efficiency. It's probably possible to get the maps loaded, maybe a few other things, but the scale of the project would take an entire mod team.

#13 mar00n

mar00n

X-S Young Member

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:59 PM

Everything in half-life SOURCE uses the source engine which is used on the xbox version of Half-Life, I am not skilled enough to attempt this but is there no way of just copying the map data from half-life source and replacing the hl2 maps? I guess a few tweaks of the code would be required but I dont think this is impossible!

BTW before hl2 even came out the source code was stolen so it is out there. I am willing to pay $50 to the person who gets me hl-source on my 720p xbox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users