Photo

Is It Possible To Read Drive With Flashing Green Light?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Panablue

Panablue

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:11 PM

Hi,
Although I am an electronics engineer I am a complete newbie when it comes to the Xbox 360 and may have bitten off a bit more than I can chew, in that I recently bought a faulty Xbox from Ebay with the intention of repairing it, thinking it would be a cheap way to buy a console. It was listed as having 3 red lights and a faulty DVD Drive (Drawer wont close).

When It arrived I checked the dvd drive to find damage to the mechanical parts inside (Broken cogs, missing drive belt etc.) Although I have managed to now close the dvd drawer I obviously need to replace the dvd drive. I have fixed the red ring of death with a replacement heatsink fixing kit. When I power the unit, it boots correctly and I can see the dashboard on the screen. However the green light in the middle of the ROL flashes rapidly.

I have a few questions. Firstly Which console have I got? It may sound a strange question but my console does not have a HDMI output on the back and has a silver dvd drive fascia. High Definition in the dashboard system settings is greyed out making me believe it must be the arcade version but I thought the arcade version had a white DVD drawer.

Secondly, is the green flashing light due to the mechanical damage or does it mean that the circuit board of the dvd drive is not functioning correctly? The drive is a Toshiba Samsung. If the circuit board is ok I should be able to just swap the PCB's between drives hopefully avoiding the 'Key' issue. But if the circuit board is faulty I do not want to go to the expense of buying a new drive that I can do nothing with.

Hope someone can help...

#2 MadMaxGR

MadMaxGR

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:34 PM

First your console must be a Xenon from a full system pack. The light flashing all the time is strange indeed. It is more like try and error thing, to figure out what is wrong. Did you try to run any DVD video or XBOX game?

#3 niai

niai

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:44 PM

by the sounds of things your dvd is dead the flashing light is what the xbox dose when theres no dvd drive on in it

i dont think you do have an xenon i think its going to be a opus theres is lots of guides to find out witch one you have though

you will need to buy a new drive i would recommend buying http://www.dealextre...ls.dx/sku.16995 as it will be the cheapest and there a legit web site if your thinking there not i buy from them all the time

you will allso need to get the dvd key witch be for now was impossible but due to the new xell hack it is now but only if you have a dashboard that is pre summer ie 7xxx if you have 8xxx then you will be out of luck

so look for you dash number 1st if its exploitable then find out what board you have
if all is good go ahead and start work if you need any more help then reply (may also want to pm me as i dont come the the general hardware chat that much)

edit
sorry just thought you drive could just have a blank firmware on it in witch case you may beable to use your drive still but you will need to get your drive key still

Edited by niai, 05 November 2009 - 01:49 PM.

#4 Panablue

Panablue

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE(MadMaxGR @ Nov 5 2009, 12:34 PM) View Post

First your console must be a Xenon from a full system pack. The light flashing all the time is strange indeed. It is more like try and error thing, to figure out what is wrong. Did you try to run any DVD video or XBOX game?

Hi thanks for the replies. No I have not tried to run a DVD or XBOX game as the drive belt is missing from the inside of the DVD drive so didn't see the point really.

My worry is that this may not be the original drive that came with the console. If that is the case then even if I can get the drive key from the firmware it won't match the key require by the motherboard will it?

So does this exell hack require the DVD drive to be working or does it enable you to get the key from the motherboard somehow? I am afraid I don't even now what the exell hack is.

Thanks again...

#5 niai

niai

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:11 PM

you dont need a dvd drive to run the xell hack its the new way to run homebrew but i also gives you the cpu key with the cpu key you can decrypt a dump of your nand (kernel) in that there will be you dvd drive key

look up about the jtag hack for the 360 its the same as the xell hack just different names

Edited by niai, 05 November 2009 - 08:12 PM.

#6 Panablue

Panablue

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:58 PM

Wow. Thanks for the info. Am going to look it up right now.

Many thanks to all those who have been willing to help me.

Cheers. biggrin.gif

#7 Panablue

Panablue

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:49 PM

Ah.
Just looked up this jtag hack and the info I have seen says that once it has been done the xbox will only run homebrew not xbox games or even the dashboard.
Maybe this hack does allow you to run homebrew and do lots of weird and wonderful things but I just want to fix the console for my kids to use.
All I want to do is flash a new drive with a key that will make it work with my xbox so that the kids can use it as it was meant to be used.
So is it possible to use this hack to gain the necessary key, flash the drive and then reset the xbox back to its original state? Also how can I tell which update version is running on my console as apparently the latest system update stops this hack from working?

Sorry if I'm asking what to you may be obvious but as I said I am new to the xbox scene and appreciate any help you may be able to give.

#8 niai

niai

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 03:11 AM

if you back up your nand 1st you can then just flash it back and the xbox will be the same as b4 you flashed it with the xell (dump at lest 2 time just in case the 1st one corrupts)

i asked what your dash number was for the reason to see if the hack would work if its 7xxx then your grand to run xell if over that your screwed
if you go to settings system info i think it is you will get something like
CODE
D:2.0.5787.0 - K:2.0.5787.0(BK:2.0.1888.0) X:4A7A-FFF1-E816-1538

after the K:2.0. part. is the version you have

heres how to get the key from an xenon board it will be mostly the same if you have a opus board
http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=690640

edit
btw you dont need vga any more it works with component to now

Edited by niai, 06 November 2009 - 03:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users