Photo

OTX: Xbox 360 Gamers Defecting To PS3 For Holiday Sequels?

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 Xbox-Scene

Xbox-Scene

Memba Numero Uno

• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:44 PM

OTX: Xbox 360 Gamers Defecting To PS3 For Holiday Sequels?
Posted by XanTium | November 5 13:44 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From gamasutra.com:

It's coming time for the Holiday launches of anticipated multiplatform sequels -- and new data provided to Gamasutra by OTX's GamePlan Insights finds that many sequel-buyers might be switching platforms, defecting from Xbox 360 to PlayStation 3 for more than one major release.

OTX data shows that 15 percent of those who plan to buy the PS3 version of Assassin's Creed 2 own the Xbox 360 version of the original, while only 7 percent of those who plan to buy the Xbox 360 version own the original game on PS3.

Moreover, the trend for Modern Warfare 2 is the same, according to OTX. "The PS3 seems poised to shift the ratio of Xbox 360 to PS3 sales for most major multi-platform releases in its favor among dual owners," Williams tells us.

#2 bonneville1992

bonneville1992

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:58 PM

well thats some interesting news, i just bought a ps3 about a week ago, mainly because i am sick of M$ constant ban's and the monopoly of accessories that microsoft only wants to rule. Just kinda lost my faith in microsoft i guess. Plus i can watch blue ray movies with it as well. I was going to buy a blue ray player but for aprox 100 bucks more i was able to go with a gaming system as well. Why not.

#3 tomgreen99200

tomgreen99200

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:59 PM

I wonder if this has something to do with the bans ? tongue.gif jk

#4 ca102455

ca102455

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Interests:Women, gaming & Roots Rock Reggae
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:04 PM

I would say this is certainly something to do with the recent ban waves.

At the end of the day PS3 really is better value in my mind, plus playing online is free.

As you sow, so shall you reap M$

#5 funksoulbrother

funksoulbrother

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:05 PM

Perhaps people assume it'll be better on the PS3 or something. It's more likely to be the other way round, as most cross-platform games perform better on the 360, including the first Assassin's Creed.

#6 Horscht

Horscht

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:09 PM

I think that might be a case.

Many users feel that the Microsoft banwaves are forcing them to go "legal". But if you're going "legal", the PS3 is the cheaper system. Peripherals are not as overpriced as on the xbox 360, just to name one major example:

Storage: if I understand correctly, Sony is not forcing you to buy their propietary storage media, be it Harddrive or memory card. The PS3 has an internatl, exchangable harddrive and can USB sticks to store savegames on it.

Also, the LIVE! equivalent on PS3 (PSN) is free, saving you 60€ anualy (or 30 if you buy the live! membership on ebay)

just my 2 cents....

(And yes, i know that by this site's rules being "illegal" on the 360 is not cheaper since you own the originals, but you know how it realy is...)

#7 xcalixxryderx

xcalixxryderx

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 104 posts
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:18 PM

My PS3 is covered in dust. I bought it in December and I only own one game for it. Mostly I just play blu-rays on it. One big reason I dont use it for much online gaming is because theres no built in private or party chat. If sony can atleast add a 1 on 1 private chat I would use it alot more otherwise its kinda hard to hook up with friends and get into games together. Also it would be nice to have voice messages since I dont have a chatpad and I dont wanna switch my keybored between it and my pc all the time.

#8 Ranger72

Ranger72

MOD GOD

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,810 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:22 PM

I am not sure about multiplatform sequels but I can tell you hands down there is no game on any platform that remotely comes close the scale and quality of Uncharted 2 for the PS3.

When it comes to blockbuster games Sony pulls out all the stops for their exclusive titles.

If I did not already own 3 PS3's I would have bought one for that game alone.

#9 syph007

syph007

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:30 PM

I've been thinking about getting one just to see how the hardware holds up. Bought my 4th 360 yesterday when number 3 errored out again. Getting fed up with having to buy new ones, and was starting to wonder what that failure rate of the ps3 is.

#10 Mcegan

Mcegan

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:41 PM

Wow I wonder why...could it be because of the mass bannings, the overpriced harddrive which you are forced to buy, the online service which you have to pay for, insane console failure rate, overpriced peripherals, DLC jammed down your throats, etc? I would say the only reason most people stuck around was for the ability to "backup"...but now that it seems like they're cracking down on that, what's left to stay for? PS3 beats them in everything else, will soon be adding party chat of their own, and you can watch blu ray on it. Go suck one MS

#11 WOlfSaviorZX

WOlfSaviorZX

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:49 PM

Yeah I plan on getting a PS3 using some gift cards I get for buying xbox360s. (lol buy 3 360s get a ps3 free). I am going to get resistance 1/2, uncharted 1/2, motorstorm 1/2, and little big planet. Im actually just getting it for the console exclusives. Anyone else reccomend any games for it that arn't for the 360 or are a hell of lot better on the ps3. I will not be switching from 360 to ps3 and most of my friends wont any time soon. Live is still a billion times better then the ps3s online and unless sony fixes their $#!T I don't plan on switching purchases from one console to the other. But I still want the ps3 exclusives that are worth it and I mean worth it like uncharted, motorstorm, and little big planet. Though it is sad that there is not even 10 games on the ps3 that I personnally want. Still little big planet looks like a hell of fun and can't wait to play it.

#12 MsJamie

MsJamie

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:49 PM

Two words: Novelty factor.

There are a bunch of people who own both, and would like to use their PS3 for something besides watching movies. biggrin.gif

That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it. smile.gif

#13 piratesteve508

piratesteve508

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:59 PM

I havent even been banned yet and I have already gone out and bought a ps3. Only because in a couple of months its only going to end up costing me the 30 bucks or whatever for tax.

#14 Paperstack.1

Paperstack.1

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:23 PM

As of the new Last.fm, Twitter, etc. dashboard (if you're in the preview), and MS's way of really locking down the system with this update i've been thinking about grabbing up another PS3 and sticking with it this time this holiday season.

I miss playing LittleBIGPlanet, SOCOM (even though it's buggy as hell), PixelJunk Eden, Crash Commando (I HIGHLY recommend trying it out if you haven't), Resistance, Uncharted, and Ridge Racer 7. Playing Tekken 6 & Street Fighter IV with 360's controller sucks hardcore especially with the d-pad as i've been so used to playing every last one of them with a Dual Shock and the controls feel much better and responsive.

Finally, since the recent bans, i've been hesitant on pushing that big button in hopes of not seeing "the message". I know my time will come soon for it. It was a good run while it lasted. sad.gif

Oh and not to mention that this is my 7th 360, as the last 6 RRoD'ed on me.

Edited by Paperstack.1, 05 November 2009 - 09:25 PM.

#15 kingatrock

kingatrock

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:51 PM

So because 15% are going from 360 version to ps3 version for assasins creed 2 as opposed to 7% from ps3 to 360, now it's: "XBOX 360 GAMERS DEFECTING!1!!.."

I'm convinced...!!1!.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users