21 replies to this topic

#16 ckshowtime

ckshowtime

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:53 AM

QUOTE(sow2 @ Jan 14 2011, 07:20 PM) View Post

I just ran into and solved this problem myself...

I believe your problem is the Security setup (right click the directory and choose properties). There are two things you have to do in order to properly share in Windows 7. The first is to enable/create the "Everyone" share in the Sharing tab. Read only permissions should be sufficient to allow XMBC to connect. Next (and this is the part nobody seems to talk about or recommend) you need to add Everyone again to the Security tab. Basic access (read&execute, list folder contents, and read) should be enough to get the job done.

Depending on the directory being shared, the everyone user name may already exist in the Security tab, but sometimes it doesn't. This is the reason why this sharing problem seems sporadic. It's definitely not obvious since a username/password prompt implies the sharing isn't setup properly, but it's actually the file/directory security that is the problem.

I hope this helps some people figure out their problem.

I already show the Everyone share in my sharing tab. I also show the xbox account that I created. As of this moment my problem is that my Xbox is not seeing the workgroup.

#17 ckshowtime

ckshowtime

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:24 AM

Funny thing just happened...I went to my Workgroup (SMB) Netowrk on the Xbox and it actually shows my workgroup. Only problem now is that it doesn't like any of the user-name / password combos I enter.

If it isn't one thing it's another!!!

#18 ckshowtime

ckshowtime

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:07 AM

<crickets sound> Anyone actually check this forum? <crickets sound>

Everything I read on the internet leads me back to this forum but I have had zero luck here. I just can't win with this stupid thing.

#19 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,567 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:03 PM

Assuming you tried the Security tab thing sow2 suggested, it sounds like you've got everything setup correctly; it may be a problem with the guest account on the Windows box. I once had that happen on my XP box, and fixed it using this, but I'm unsure how well it'll go under 7 (nor if the same thing has happened to you).

To be clear on this, when trying to log on as a guest, don't enter a username/password at all.

Also try googling for the "xbmc4xbox" site, assuming you haven't found that site already, there some more stuff that might be of use to you in the guides section of the forums.

#20 ckshowtime

ckshowtime

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:45 PM

I am registered over at xbmx4xbox...I am working on this machine with them too. I am more focused on updating my XBMC with the post I have going over there.

I have been through what sow2 suggested, and all the different login issues. I have an XP machine at home that I am going to put on the network and see if I can connect to it.

#21 ckshowtime

ckshowtime

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 04:10 AM

Updating my build of XBMC resolved the issue, until I rebooted the device. OF course updating my build wasn't the only thing I did. I also copied over some other file that I can't get off there now.

RED RING OF DEATH with error 13.

awesome blink.gif

#22 naomileigh82

naomileigh82

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 03:09 AM

I don't understand what I'm missing. I do not have a username/pswd set up on my windows 7 pc, i can see the work group and name of my pc on my xbox when i click the pc name on the xbox i get lock pref screen asking for username/pswd. I have followed everything here and everything else i can find when i did a google search. I'm about to go buy a second 360 grr.gif since im having no problem sharing with it. Everything was working correctly until i had to reinstall windows 7 a few months back. Any suggestions for me, i've got all my files set to share if i can only get past the username/pswd req its asking for when trying to go Videos>Workgroup>Name-PC on the xbox.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users