328 replies to this topic

#1 Monkeys69

Monkeys69

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 01:30 PM

I am attempting to create a full compatibility list for the latest and most compatible version of Surreal64, XXX B5.1 CE, with optimal performance settings listed for each game. Once I have finished going through the list and am happy with the settings I Will post my surreal configuration file (surreal.ini) here for people to download. This will hopefully save people a lot of time and trouble trying to adjust the ram and plugin settings for each game for optimal performance.

The list is a google spreadsheet document, which I will be updating over the next couple of weeks until it is complete.

Click here to view the current Surreal 64 B5.1 CE Compatibility and Settings List

The list is based off an old surreal64 performance settings thread, which was a great idea but was never really completed and has not been updated since 2005. Thank you Cathesdus for the idea, hopefully we receive your input here at some stage smile.gif

For now I am mainly trying to find the optimal performance settings for games that are borderline playable, meaning that they are almost playable with the default settings, but might become more playable with some tweaking of the settings. If you are using settings for a game which you believe are superior to those listed here, or if you would just like to help complete the list, please post your settings here in the following format:

[GAME NAME] ROM Info: [U/E/J] [!]
Emu: (1964/PJ64/UHLE)
Vid Plugin: (5.10/5.31/5.60/6.11)
Audio: (Jttl/LLE RSP/Basic/None)
Video: #MB
Dynarec: #MB
Paging: #MB
A brief description of how these settings affect the game

Example:

Super Smash Brothers [U] [!]
Emu: PJ64
Vid Plugin: 5.60
Audio: Basic
Video: 6MB
Dynarec: 18MB
Paging: 2MB
Rice 5.60 renders 2d sprites correctly (like samus' fireballs and characters shields). Ram settings reduce the number of slowdowns experienced.

I would also like to assure any skeptics out there that This list WILL BE COMPLETED, the full compatibility list within a month, and a surreal.ini configuration file release shortly thereafter biggrin.gif

By the way sorry for the duplicate thread, I'm new to this. I didn't realize before creating the other one that I would not be able to edit my initial post, making it quite a messy thread if continued. This thread will be easy to update via the google spreadsheet document that i have created. Moderators please feel free to delete the old thread here

#2 Monkeys69

Monkeys69

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 01:52 PM

I've updated the list, most games up to and including 'D' are now tested.

Also, if a moderator reads this, would it be possible for you to change the title of this thread from "Surreal 64 B5.1 Ce Compatibility And Settings List" to "Surreal 64 B5.1 CE Compatibility And Performance Settings List". Sorry, I should have made sure it was correct before I posted it sad.gif

#3 Monkeys69

Monkeys69

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 06:51 PM

Just another small update. The majority of games up to and including 'G' are now tested and listed on the spreadsheet.

I'm trying to get Donkey Kong 64 working, I'm sure it's possible because I've read of people getting it working on here before. The issue is that it hangs after the intro in 1964, but apparently if you load the game is PJ64 until after the intro, save, then load the game in 1964 afterward, it should work (although somewhat slowly). However I can't seem to load the game in PJ64, it just hangs before the intro.

Can anyone that has gotten past the intro shed some light on this? Any advice is greatly appreciated, and your settings and workaround method will definitely be added to the spreadsheet if successful smile.gif

#4 greatant

greatant

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:none

Posted 09 November 2009 - 02:45 AM

Donkey Kong 64
ROM Info: [U] [!]
Vid Plugin: 5.31
Audio: LLE RSP
Video: 4MB
Dynarec: 10MB
Paging: 10MB
This should be a decent starting point for you Monkeys69, I can get right into the game with this. Any other Audio or Video Plugin stops it working. FPS sits at 59-60, but the game never feels full-speed. Lots of refinement available/needed in the Vid/Dyna/Page settings.

Thanks for the awesome Super Smash Bros settings and thanks for this updated list.

Edited by greatant, 09 November 2009 - 02:45 AM.

#5 Monkeys69

Monkeys69

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:13 AM

Thank you greatant biggrin.gif

I played around a bit with the settings for Donkey Kong 64 and the ones that you have provided seem to give decent performance, and I can't seem to get any improvements from tweaking so for now yours are the best we've got and have been added to the list!

I've also done another small update, most games up to 'L' are now complete. Banjo-Tooie has been upgraded to playable too =)

As an aside, does anyone know of any games that benefit from using the Rice 6.11 video plugin? I can't seem to even get it to work with any games, however I seem to recall reading somewhere that you need to edit a setting in the surreal.ini if you want to use Rice 6.11. Can anyone shed some light on this? If I could use Rice 6.11 correctly I would have an extra option for trying to get games to work or find optimal performance setting smile.gif

#6 greatant

greatant

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:none

Posted 09 November 2009 - 09:40 AM

Easy to copy template:
CODE
[GAME NAME]
[b]ROM Info:[/b] [U/E/J] [!]
[b]Emu:[/b] (1964/PJ64/UHLE)
[b]Vid Plugin:[/b] (5.10/5.31/5.60/6.11)
[b]Audio:[/b] (Jttl/LLE RSP/Basic/None)
[b]Video:[/b] #MB
[b]Dynarec:[/b] #MB
[b]Paging:[/b] #MB
A brief description of how these settings affect the game

Star Wars - Shadows of the Empire
ROM Info: (U) (V1.2) [!]
Emu: 1964
Vid Plugin: 6.11
Audio: Jttl
Video: 4MB
Dynarec: 8MB
Paging: 4MB
Anything but Rice 6.11 displays majorly corrupt sky and snow textures, and that's just the first level.

Mario Golf
ROM Info: (U) [!]
Vid Plugin: 5.10
Audio: Basic
Video: 2MB
Dynarec: 12MB
Paging: 10MB
Some pretty annoying graphics problems (ghosting?), but certainly playable.

1080 Snowboarding - I'm assuming when you tested this game you used (JU) (M2) [!]? As there isn't a plain (U) [!] version. I find Jttl to be the best Audio plugin for this game. With the others there's a slight stuttering in the music, most notably on the Title screen. I've not heard the crackling that you mention.

Edited by greatant, 09 November 2009 - 09:41 AM.

#7 Monkeys69

Monkeys69

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:35 PM

Thank you for another very helpful reply greatant smile.gif

I tried the Star Wars: Shadows of The Empire settings you listed and they worked great and have been added to the list. It also gave me renewed faith in Rice 6.11 and hope that I will find more games that it makes playable.

Also, I tried the Mario Golf settings you listed. I didn't do a great deal of testing but I found that with PJ64 I would see not just the ghosting (i think that is the correct term) that you mentioned but also the background (sky trees etc) would become pixelated and artifact if i moved around. I didn't notice this pixelation with 1964, however the ghosting was still present, so I think 1964 might be a better choice. Do you notice this same pixelation as well as the ghosting with PJ64 and rice 5.31?

I have one more question, this one is for everyone. I've noticed a strange bug in some games, I'm pretty sure it's the same bug in each game, where the joystick will not respond to 'full' movements in any direction, only small partial movements (like you would use for tiptoeing in banjo-kazooie). This makes it very difficult to play because you cant move the joystick all the way in any direction or the movement wont register. So far, I have found this in three games; Mega Man 64, Buck Bumble, and Daikatana. Of the three buck bumble is the worst, you can barely fly because half the movements from the joystick don't register, Mega Man is not too bad but still annoying.

Has anyone else experienced this? In another compatibility list Buck Bumble was listed as playable with no glitches, so I'm wondering if it's just this version of surreal, or maybe my controller is just going on the blink? tongue.gif

I've also done another small update to the list, enjoy biggrin.gif

#8 sbpaabck

sbpaabck

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 10:14 PM

First of all congratulations on a great intention and thank you very much smile.gif

I just wanted to draw your attention to this topic not sure if you are aware of it, in it there is work being done on Surreal xxx.

Also in the topic mentioned Darknoir is in the process of updating his ini settings a bit like you are, maybe you guys could collaborate and it would help each other out. Also you might find the work being done on surreal interesting.

quote from the topic (from darknoir):

"I will test all the EU roms i have and give you after my INI corrected "

So if he's doing the EU and you are doing the U then that would complete the picture smile.gif

Anyhow sorry if you already know about it but here is the link:

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=684501

keep up the good work man!

Edited by sbpaabck, 09 November 2009 - 10:14 PM.

#9 Monkeys69

Monkeys69

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 04:35 AM

Thank you very much for your support with this project sbpaabck biggrin.gif

I was indeed aware of that thread, It was the thread that gave me the idea to start this project! I even posted there that I would be commencing this project and asked for volunteers to help, second last post tongue.gif

Unfortunately I haven't heard anything from either Darknoir or ez0n3. Which is a shame because ez0n3 was supposed to be working of porting the NEW 1964 1.1 source code into surreal, which would have almost undoubtedly improved performance and given us a REAL update to the surreal core, rather than just tinkering with old settings (which is still important mind you, but a full update would be better).

Ez0n3 if you are out there, please don't give up on Surreal 64, there is hope for it yet!!

So leaves me with my final question, do you (or anyone) want to help with this list? I could really use a second head to start at the other end of the list 'Z' and work upwards. Also having someone else to verify settings for a particular game is very helpful.

I also want to know if anyone has been able to play Buck Bumble without the controller problems that I mentioned above? It's a really strange issue...

#10 lordpro

lordpro

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:16 AM

First off i want to say thank you Monkeys69 for taking up the continuation of a grat emulator for the xbox.

unfortunately i don't have much time to lend a hand but i wanted to say thank you. (were all watching) ph34r.gif

#11 sbpaabck

sbpaabck

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:43 PM

QUOTE(Monkeys69 @ Nov 10 2009, 03:35 AM) View Post

Thank you very much for your support with this project sbpaabck biggrin.gif

I was indeed aware of that thread, It was the thread that gave me the idea to start this project! I even posted there that I would be commencing this project and asked for volunteers to help, second last post tongue.gif

Unfortunately I haven't heard anything from either Darknoir or ez0n3. Which is a shame because ez0n3 was supposed to be working of porting the NEW 1964 1.1 source code into surreal, which would have almost undoubtedly improved performance and given us a REAL update to the surreal core, rather than just tinkering with old settings (which is still important mind you, but a full update would be better).

Ez0n3 if you are out there, please don't give up on Surreal 64, there is hope for it yet!!

So leaves me with my final question, do you (or anyone) want to help with this list? I could really use a second head to start at the other end of the list 'Z' and work upwards. Also having someone else to verify settings for a particular game is very helpful.

I also want to know if anyone has been able to play Buck Bumble without the controller problems that I mentioned above? It's a really strange issue...

Well sir if its a call to arms then I won't let you down !! lol

Ok I will definately help out, I am very busy today (off out meeting parents, cycling across the city to buy a new xbox - softmodding it for a friends b.day pressie cooking girlfriends dinner etc) but will try to get a couple done tonight and will be able to pick it up properly tomorrow and later on. Will start from Z as you ask.

I thought you must have seen the other thread, not very good with names y'see wink.gif

I don't think Ez0n3 has given up probably just got sick of that new code and is having some R&R im hopeful that when he is ready he will be back.

So once my s**t is sorted I will help you with this work. What an honor!

P.S. will PM darknoir on 1emulation.com he is there often (edit:- message sent he should be along in a day or 2 wink.gif )

Edited by sbpaabck, 10 November 2009 - 12:48 PM.

#12 sbpaabck

sbpaabck

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:50 PM

hmmm, not having much luck.

tried entering info into a cell but it won't let me, what do I need to do?

#13 Darknior

Darknior

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:07 PM

Hi

I have made mine, there is some month ...
It is many complete and many many games are working with it biggrin.gif
It take me many many time to release ...

All the games are classified, if you can complete it, it is i think a better idea, and we will have a quickly result biggrin.gif

Thanks
Bye

Surreal1.0 INI file by Darknior.rar

#14 Monkeys69

Monkeys69

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:33 AM

QUOTE(sbpaabck @ Nov 10 2009, 12:43 PM) View Post

Well sir if its a call to arms then I won't let you down !! lol

Ok I will definately help out, I am very busy today (off out meeting parents, cycling across the city to buy a new xbox - softmodding it for a friends b.day pressie cooking girlfriends dinner etc) but will try to get a couple done tonight and will be able to pick it up properly tomorrow and later on. Will start from Z as you ask.

I thought you must have seen the other thread, not very good with names y'see wink.gif

I don't think Ez0n3 has given up probably just got sick of that new code and is having some R&R im hopeful that when he is ready he will be back.

So once my s**t is sorted I will help you with this work. What an honor!

P.S. will PM darknoir on 1emulation.com he is there often (edit:- message sent he should be along in a day or 2 wink.gif )

Thank you so much sbpaabck for your enthusiasm with this project, it's great to have you aboard. biggrin.gif

QUOTE(sbpaabck @ Nov 10 2009, 05:50 PM) View Post

hmmm, not having much luck.

tried entering info into a cell but it won't let me, what do I need to do?

The reason you cant enter any information to the spreadsheet is because it is locked.

Please PM me your gmail email address (you need one to login to google docs) and I'll add it to the user list so that you can edit the file.

#15 Monkeys69

Monkeys69

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:51 AM

QUOTE(Darknior @ Nov 10 2009, 10:07 PM) View Post

Hi

I have made mine, there is some month ...
It is many complete and many many games are working with it biggrin.gif
It take me many many time to release ...

All the games are classified, if you can complete it, it is i think a better idea, and we will have a quickly result biggrin.gif

Thanks
Bye

Surreal1.0 INI file by Darknior.rar

Hey Darknoir, good to hear from you. Thank you for the surreal.ini file. However I don't think it will be useable for this project as it is just too out dated. I had a look through the file and in just the first few games I noticed that there are games (such as 1080 snowboarding and Aerofighters Assualt) which have not had their settings adjusted. Not to mention that all of the comments are in french... blink.gif I thank you for it anyway, and hope that you will still help us with this project.

Hey guys, just wanted to say a general thank you for all of the interest and support that people have provided biggrin.gif

We still have a bit of work to do so if anyone else wants to help join in, hint hint biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Just PM me your gmail compatible email address so that I can add it to the spreadsheet user list, so that you can edit the file.

I still need someone to test the game 'Buck Bumble' for me and to see if you can find a way to get rid of the controller bug that seem to affect it and Megaman64 and Diakatana...Strange...

Also I've done a small update to the list, few more M's and N's added.

Also I could use some setting for the Zelda games, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask optimal settings anyone?

Edited by Monkeys69, 11 November 2009 - 02:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users