• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:58 AM

Xbox 360 Hard Drive Transfer Kit Out of Stock
Posted by XanTium | November 12 00:58 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From joystiq.com:

If the recent price drop has encouraged you to hedge your bets and replace your aging, bound-to-die Xbox 360 with a quiet, new, Jasper-equipped 120GB Elite [note x-s: or those new 250GB coming with some bundles lately], you'll want to pay attention. As relayed to us by tipster Paolo, and confirmed by a Microsoft representative, the Hard Drive Transfer Kit - which is currently available for eligible consumers by calling 1-800-4MY-XBOX - is "out of stock at the moment" and the company does "not know when inventories will be restored."

I might have another idea why these HDD Transfer Kits are suddenly out of stock ... could Microsoft's decision to cripple HDDs of banned consoles (partially) be the cause?

#2 tonybologna

tonybologna

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:sports,hunting,fishing,video games,etc.
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:03 AM

could Microsoft's decision to cripple HDDs of banned consoles (partially) be the cause?

Definitely so! I guess MS employees is rolling around right now in their pile of money on the office floors. wink.gif

#3 bigpoppafurious

bigpoppafurious

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:57 AM

BS...ms has so much bs on the brains...i called a week b4 for codmw2 dropped and they had kits...i think the problem is the current kits...at least the older models dont work with the 250 gb.....i havent been able to transfer from my 20 gb to the 250 gb yet....but i have an old transfer kit......and you need a newer version of the disc.......they should just be able to add a update via live??? like any other update......im all over major nelsons azz on twitter about it!!! anyone else want to help.......@ majornelson.com

#4 xmod4u

xmod4u

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:24 AM

tons of them on Ebay for cheap, dont think we hit shortage yet.
I believe the other guy more, looks like another changed accessory coming.

#5 Perkele

Perkele

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:52 AM

QUOTE(Xbox-Scene @ Nov 12 2009, 05:58 AM) View Post

...could Microsoft's decision to cripple HDDs of banned consoles (partially) be the cause?

The HDDs themselves aren't crippled, just the usage of them on banned consoles is.
They work perfectly fine in non-banned consoles.
QUOTE(xmod4u @ Nov 12 2009, 07:24 AM) View Post

tons of them on Ebay for cheap, dont think we hit shortage yet.

Those are just 3rd party transfer cables without the DVD.

Edited by Perkele, 12 November 2009 - 08:57 AM.

#6 quitow

quitow

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:59 PM

Well, this would only make sense if the Transfer Kit could mantain all your gamerscore + saves that you did AFTER you're banned. Nobody tested it anyway, so... I guess the cause of it must be what bigpop said.

#7 zoltrix2590

zoltrix2590

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:24 PM

I called Microsoft trying to get a cable a couple days before the bans started, and they were sold out then sad.gif

#8 nevernow

nevernow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:00 PM

Not to dismiss this news' relevance, but there are are third party tools which retail for about 8$ and allow you to easily move data between a PC and a 360 HDD, through a tool like Xplorer360. So no panic! smile.gif

#9 zainday

zainday

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 140 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:16 PM

LOL...The more I hear , the more I think it wasn't the smartest decision to ban so many.....

If they don't make much, if not loose money on the console....banning a console is only maken them loose TWICE on the console, if not more times for the strong offenders....

From posts, alot of people went and bought major online titles like MW2 on the PS3, so they lost alot of money there....

And now there loosing money on given away all the free transfer cables for people trying to transfer there games saves etc....

If people don't renew there subscription because they either cant afford another xbox or they also have a ps3 and will just get online title on that console, there loosing money there...crap if there estimate are correct of 1 million consoles, if even 50 percent of those console owners dont renew....there out about 25 million in xbox live , alone....thats pretty much FREE MONEY to them...

Sounds like it's not really a big PAYOFF concidering that banned console plays all games still , just not on live....

The RRoD was there messup and the consumer had to pay for it.....
The hacking of the drive is also there mess up , and they should accept that and fix there HOLE in there system (like they have, AS OF TODAY! haha) and move on.....

Just a thought!

#10 tom_mandory

tom_mandory

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:20 PM

Step 1: Ban Consoles
Step 2: Profit

#11 metalcoat

metalcoat

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 13 November 2009 - 12:28 AM

QUOTE(tom_mandory @ Nov 12 2009, 05:20 PM) View Post
Step 1: Ban Consoles
Step 2: Profit

1. Ban Console
2. Make users buy more at a loss
3. ???
4. Profit

There fixed it for you!

Edited by metalcoat, 13 November 2009 - 12:29 AM.

#12 UberDeev

UberDeev

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 12:43 AM

Nothing is done to the HDDs of banned consoles. The installlation of games to the HDD is disabled, but that doesn't affect the HDD itself.

The reason saves and profiles from banned 360s appear corrupted on other consoles is that banned 360s are now revoked as well. This means that the banned 360's console ID is added to a list of revoked consoles which is updated with every system update. If a 360 sees a save or profile signed with the serial number of a console on that revocation list, it will say it's corrupt. For this reason, the transfer kit will not make your saves work again; it does not resign them with a new console ID.

#13 noobs4us

noobs4us

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 01:02 AM

Definitely a correlation of bans and no inventory. Ebay still has them, sadly these are free cables normally when order from M$ but 4-6 weeks to receive.The UK still has the PDF form to order a cable, The US is getting singled out here. These kits now going as much for 20+ and up. I snagged one 2 days ago as i want to back up my data and profile with Xplorer 360. Maybe a good time to try Modio and EasyMod as well.
M$=jerkstore

The Theory is sound.

1.Ban
2. Profit

I have ebayed for a transfer kit as well since i havent signed on since the ban wave and I bought a legit arcade model as well

1 modded console for "back -ups"
1 stock model for XBL

#14 whyexactly

whyexactly

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 06:20 AM

QUOTE(zainday @ Nov 12 2009, 04:16 PM) View Post

LOL...The more I hear , the more I think it wasn't the smartest decision to ban so many.....

If they don't make much, if not loose money on the console....banning a console is only maken them loose TWICE on the console, if not more times for the strong offenders....

From posts, alot of people went and bought major online titles like MW2 on the PS3, so they lost alot of money there....

And now there loosing money on given away all the free transfer cables for people trying to transfer there games saves etc....

If people don't renew there subscription because they either cant afford another xbox or they also have a ps3 and will just get online title on that console, there loosing money there...crap if there estimate are correct of 1 million consoles, if even 50 percent of those console owners dont renew....there out about 25 million in xbox live , alone....thats pretty much FREE MONEY to them...

Sounds like it's not really a big PAYOFF concidering that banned console plays all games still , just not on live....

The RRoD was there messup and the consumer had to pay for it.....
The hacking of the drive is also there mess up , and they should accept that and fix there HOLE in there system (like they have, AS OF TODAY! haha) and move on.....

Just a thought!

I'm pretty sure the mass of bans was under pressure from the game developers. Think about it, MW2 comes out, and we already know they made the PC version more like a console game. If Microsoft didn't ban all these consoles, who knows MW3 might be a PS3 exclusive. Who would want to put all the effort into making a game, only to have half the people playing it have a pirated copy?

That and realistically all they can do if you're caught with a modded console is ban you from the server, since the console is your property, and the servers are theirs.

#15 azuziel

azuziel

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 131 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 14 November 2009 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE(whyexactly @ Nov 13 2009, 12:20 AM) View Post

I'm pretty sure the mass of bans was under pressure from the game developers. Think about it, MW2 comes out, and we already know they made the PC version more like a console game. If Microsoft didn't ban all these consoles, who knows MW3 might be a PS3 exclusive. Who would want to put all the effort into making a game, only to have half the people playing it have a pirated copy?

That and realistically all they can do if you're caught with a modded console is ban you from the server, since the console is your property, and the servers are theirs.

Can't say I agree. Software devs have no say in that. Wii is modded, you don't see nintendo bannning the shit out of their users. Let's not confuse this, if it were any other company, they wouldnt even try it. Being MS, they'd rather settle (out of court of course) on valid lawsuits for legit consoles that were baned (assumng anyone does sue), it's far cheaper. What ms is doing, is trying to Lull some of the software devs into making *360 only* titles. In order to do that, they have to be taking action to protect the developers. Face it, if I were a dev, and i had an option to devleop software on a moddable console or an unmoddable console, I would choose the unmoddable ps3, hands down.

So MS, bans away,trying to get exclusive rights for their underachieving, over hyped and failing units wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users