Photo

Disable Live While Still Connecting To Home Network?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ryams27

ryams27

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:04 PM

I apologize in advance for the stupid question, but I have a modded Jasper arcade console (Lite-On) that has yet to be banned (although it might be flagged). I've decided not to go back on Live with this console and just purchase another for online play.

What I'm wondering is if there is a way -- other than simply disabling my router's internet connection -- that I can connect to my home network for streaming music, videos, etc., without the risk of my console ever signing on to XBL.

Any help would be much appreciated.

#2 fixitman

fixitman

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:51 PM

Just set a reserved IP address for your console's MAC ID via your router's setup. This will ensure the console gets the same IP address every time you turn it on. Test it with your router's internet connection disconnected. Once you are positive the console is getting the correct IP address, simply block that IP address from internet access (also via the router setup).

There are too many different routers out there for me to explain in any more detail. If you're unable to figure out how to implement these basic steps, it might be a better (safer) idea to just disable the router's internet connection while the console is on.

I used this setup to block my living room computer from the internet. It keeps guests from downloading garbage on the computer, but still allows me to stream music and video from it. It should work the same for the 360.

Edited by fixitman, 13 November 2009 - 11:57 PM.

#3 nuzz

nuzz

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 12:13 AM

The best way is like ^ said. If you lack the skill just set a fixed ip in your xbox with no gateway or a wrong gateway if its necessary.

#4 fixitman

fixitman

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 01:08 AM

Yep, it would be easier to set a static IP at the console and then simply block it with the router's firewall. I added a couple unnecessary steps (finding console MAC, then setting a reserved IP) based on experience with my personal home network. I keep forgetting that most people don't have a herd of computers running in their homes like I do biggrin.gif

#5 opelcalibra

opelcalibra

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 01:24 PM

just disable live access on the console using parental controls
that way you can still use your live gamertag but when you select it you will get a pop up saying xbox live access blocked.

#6 g-sas

g-sas

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 15 November 2009 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE(opelcalibra @ Nov 15 2009, 01:24 PM) View Post

just disable live access on the console using parental controls
that way you can still use your live gamertag but when you select it you will get a pop up saying xbox live access blocked.

I just tried that with my legit Xbox 360. Seems this is really working. But the LIVE connection test is still working and this can still mess up your banned 360. I would highly recommend setting a wrong gateway, too.

#7 fixitman

fixitman

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 03:59 PM

You don't need internet access to login to the console with a Live gamertag. It just shows you as being disconnected (from Live). I just verified that with my new, unmodified elite.

If your modified console has any chance of connecting to the internet, it has a chance of being banned, period. Disabling Live access via parental controls will only stop the account from accessing Live. It won't necessarily stop the console from accessing Live. Giving it an incorrect gateway or bogus DNS server won't stop it if the console already "knows" the correct IP address for the Live servers. Since we don't know if the console can store such information, it is still safest to disable ANY internet access.

Edited by fixitman, 15 November 2009 - 04:01 PM.

#8 ssidewinder

ssidewinder

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 05:21 PM

Yep this is what I'm doing now to prevent loss of install and media capability if the console gets banned. I basically assigned a static IP to the 360 (within the range of my home network) then blocked that IP from internet access on the router. I don't play on live and i didn't really care about any thing else that live has to offer so this is my setup from now on unless there's a breakthrough with LT firmware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users