2 Bunny

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 16 November 2009 - 10:32 PM

Hello once again everyone here at the xBox Scene "Skinnex" community forums. This time, we have a new and very fascinating problem for the scene to solve. First, however, let me supply you with some background...

Once, I had the xBox "modded" with a softmod, and upgraded hard drive on a Krazy "ndure" version 1 (not 1.1, just 1(.0)), and I thought I might upgrade to 1.1 because of the useful benefits that may be associated with that new version. I went ahead and downloaded the gamesave file, even though I did not have the game anymore. I ran it from the file itself, and first tried hitting the "upgrade from 1.0" button, which failed with some kind of retarded reason. "Thats okay", I said, and just tried to install "anew", because I knew I could always restore from backups, or my old hard drive. It failed, pretty much and presented me with an error thirteen whenever I tried to boot, and error fourteen when I tried to boot with a burned dashboard CD. I slapped the old hard drive back in, restored (but not my backed up games on partition "F", which obviously isn't there on an original hard drive), and used "chimps", that wonderful amazing tool, and recovered back on to the new hard drive. While doing this, I learned an interesting lesson: Using "chimps" will always format your hard drive completely, and so you cannot just copy over JUST partition C, without partition E. Although if you try, you will see the first frame or so of the MS dash, interestingly enough. Anyway, after I formatted and copied again, I was "back in business" and was ready to copy my games back to the hard drive. I copied one, it worked. But now, when I go to launch it, it just sends me right back to the MS Dash. I used DVD2XBOX, and the copy process yielded no errors, so I don't think that is it. Another thing that coincidentally happened right around the time that this stopped working (around the time of the recovery), the Dualboot eject button thing does not work any longer. I made sure the setting was activated before I upgraded the hdd. Now, if I boot the machine, then open the drive, I am presented with error twenty one. I don't know if that has anything to do with anything, but I thought I'd throw that one in there. In my current situation, I would be set to use a recovery disc to completely PROPERLY reinstall the 1.1 or 1 softmod, but my DVD burner is out of comission, which means I'm left with the laptop that only burns CDs, so a recovery disc would indeed need to be a recovery CD. I believe that "frosty" disc from "the usual place" is indeed too large at over a gigabyte. Or, a recovery app might work, or some kind of "virtual cd" or "compressed CD". I don't know. I don't really care about upgrading so much as I do running games from the hard drive, because it speeds up loading times Tons, and If I move my box from place to place, I need not worry about taking discs with me.

Thanks for reading my long "speech" there. Hopefully someone can provide some advice for at least one of my numerous questions, the primary of which would be running games from the hard drive, but you can talk about anything else too though.

Good luck!

- 2 Bunny

#2 2 Bunny

2 Bunny

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:30 AM

So, nobody has figured out any solutions to this other than a reinstallation?

- 2 Bunny

#3 obcd

obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 09:29 AM

Thanks for reading my long "speech" there. Hopefully someone can provide some advice for at least one of my numerous questions, the primary of which would be running games from the hard drive, but you can talk about anything else too though.

I took my time to completely read your first article. I can't find a question in it?
You are describing what you did, and between the lines I can read that your game backups from the harddisk aren't working anymore. Your dual boot isn't working anymore either.

You don't provide much information to work with.
You are expecting the Community to tell you to delete file x and add file y so that everything works fine again.

I have the impression things already went wrong when you ran the gamesave on the backup of your game. It's not designed to work that way. It's very well possible that your shadowc is active and that it will perform some actions on your shadow instead of your real C.

If you don't follow a tutorial to the letter, you need excellent understanding about how things work, or they won't work at all.

Are you able to get your harddisk in the same modded state as your original modded harddisk? (Using chimp or so?)

regards.

#4 2 Bunny

2 Bunny

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:26 AM

QUOTE(obcd @ Nov 23 2009, 03:29 AM) View Post

I took my time to completely read your first article. I can't find a question in it?
You are describing what you did, and between the lines I can read that your game backups from the harddisk aren't working anymore. Your dual boot isn't working anymore either.

You don't provide much information to work with.
You are expecting the Community to tell you to delete file x and add file y so that everything works fine again.

I have the impression things already went wrong when you ran the gamesave on the backup of your game. It's not designed to work that way. It's very well possible that your shadowc is active and that it will perform some actions on your shadow instead of your real C.

If you don't follow a tutorial to the letter, you need excellent understanding about how things work, or they won't work at all.

Are you able to get your harddisk in the same modded state as your original modded harddisk? (Using chimp or so?)

regards.

Yes indeed. Everything is as it was before with those two exceptions (the games off the hard drive and the dualboot).

Thank you for taking interest in my question that seems to have lay "dormant" for so long.

- 2 Bunny

#5 obcd

obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:58 AM

Do you have a ftp connection between your pc and your xbox so that you can examine and alter the xbox harddisk contents?
What dashboard are you using on your xbox for the moment?

#6 2 Bunny

2 Bunny

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 12:10 AM

QUOTE(obcd @ Nov 24 2009, 03:58 AM) View Post
Do you have a ftp connection between your pc and your xbox so that you can examine and alter the xbox harddisk contents?
What dashboard are you using on your xbox for the moment?

Yes, I think all versions of the xBox Media Center include an FTP Server. The contents (of the hard drive) are the same as the old hard drive. I think the old hard drive was able to dualboot, and the first time I had upgraded the hard drive it was able to dualboot, but now it can't for some reason. REALLY weird. Maybe that failed additional attempt had overwritten part of the old softmod and started a new one where dualboot wasn't enabled. But that's just a theory...

- 2 Bunny ph34r.gif

#7 kingroach

kingroach

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 25 November 2009 - 02:03 AM

error 21 on dual boot means that the dual boot dashboard file is missing. As for games, chimp's cloning tool might not properly clones the E drive or something. Best way to sove all these problems would be just reformat the whole hard drive and xboxhdm and recreate the hard drive.

Or you can launch a small dashboard like evox/ unleashx. While its launched format the C/E/F etc drive and copy your softmod files to xbox without rebooting. Its little riskly since if you reboot the xbox before copying everything it will give you error. (even though the dash formatted the drives, it will run because its running from RAM).

#8 2 Bunny

2 Bunny

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE(kingroach @ Nov 24 2009, 08:03 PM) View Post

Or you can launch a small dashboard like evox/ unleashx. While its launched format the C/E/F etc drive and copy your softmod files to xbox without rebooting. Its little riskly since if you reboot the xbox before copying everything it will give you error. (even though the dash formatted the drives, it will run because its running from RAM).

So, let's say I used that "Kingroach" aplication of yours that you would normally use in conjunction with xBoxHDM. It creates two folders for the drives, so I would basically just overwrite everything with those and it would work like I had used the xBoxHDM installer script?

- 2 Bunny

#9 xman954

xman954

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 27 November 2009 - 02:14 AM

So, let's say I used that "Kingroach" aplication of yours that you would normally use in conjunction with xBoxHDM. It creates two folders for the drives, so I would basically just overwrite everything with those and it would work like I had used the xBoxHDM installer script?
YES but you have to do it from a gamesave using FTP (so the shadowC will de disabled)

or use the E:\shadowC_off.bin if it's at Krazy "ndure" version 1.0 (then reboot)

in any case look at the C:\ it will have extra folders that the normal MS dash does not

also when your done save a good copy of C:\ and E:\ so you can allways use it (use generic fonts with s1.xtf and s2.xtf)

Edited by xman954, 27 November 2009 - 02:17 AM.

#10 2 Bunny

2 Bunny

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE(xman954 @ Nov 26 2009, 08:14 PM) View Post
YES but you have to do it from a gamesave using FTP (so the shadowC will de disabled)

or use the E:\shadowC_off.bin if it's at Krazy "ndure" version 1.0 (then reboot)

in any case look at the C:\ it will have extra folders that the normal MS dash does not

also when your done save a good copy of C:\ and E:\ so you can allways use it (use generic fonts with s1.xtf and s2.xtf)

So for that "bin" thing you were talking about, I just find it on my hard drive and run it, or does it need to be opened with something?

- 2 Bunny

#11 xman954

xman954

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:17 PM

you just copy any file to E:\

and rename it...

NKPatcher just look's for a file name and if it's there it will not start up the shadowC

NDURE 1.0 and 3.0 E:\shadowC_off.bin

NDURE 1.1 and 3.1 E:\NKP11\shadowC_off.bin

#12 2 Bunny

2 Bunny

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 01:38 AM

QUOTE(xman954 @ Nov 27 2009, 02:17 PM) View Post
you just copy any file to E:\

and rename it...

NKPatcher just look's for a file name and if it's there it will not start up the shadowC

NDURE 1.0 and 3.0 E:\shadowC_off.bin

NDURE 1.1 and 3.1 E:\NKP11\shadowC_off.bin

So basically, to recap, I just use my bootable UnleashX CD that works/starts/does FTP Client and I make sure that I just take any file and throw it on the root of my e drive and rename it to shadowC_off.bin, then I just take the files I got from the "KingRoach" installer thingy, copy the contents of each lettered folder to their corresponding drives on my xBox, reboot and BAM everything is changed over? I guess I always thought when you softmod that something is physically changed on one of the chips in the system, but I guess this is not the case.

Anyway, I'll go through and backup what I want to keep, then use that KingRoach installer again, then do the "shadow C" thing, and see what happens. rolleyes.gif So exciting.

- 2 Bunny

#13 obcd

obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:18 AM

throw it on the root of my e drive

This depends upon what softmod you have on your xbox.
I guess I always thought when you softmod that something is physically changed on one of the chips in the system, but I guess this is not the case.

Stop guessing and thinking. A softmod just alters files on the harddisk.

Don't forget to reboot after you added the shadowC_off.bin to your E or E:\NKP11
The shadowc is only turned off upon the next reboot.

regards.

#14 2 Bunny

2 Bunny

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE(obcd @ Nov 28 2009, 04:18 AM) View Post

This depends upon what softmod you have on your xbox.

Stop guessing and thinking. A softmod just alters files on the harddisk.

Don't forget to reboot after you added the shadowC_off.bin to your E or E:\NKP11
The shadowc is only turned off upon the next reboot.

regards.

All right, well I have a Krazy version 1 (point nothing), so if what xman said is correct, then I must just have to put "shadowC_off.bin" to the root of drive E, then reboot the system with my UnleashX bootable dashboard CD in the DVD drive, and then copy the files. I'll just back up here real quick, and give that a try, and see what happens. biggrin.gif

- 2 Bunny

#15 obcd

obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 10:56 AM

Don't worry, xman knows what he is talking about. smile.gif

regards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic