• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 oldbox

oldbox

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 05:04 PM

i hack PSPs so i figured(when i traded my sciphone for an original xbox) that softmodding an xbox can't be that much different.
i asked this question over at Llamma.com but the board seems to be kinda dead so i figured i'd try here(this site has always kinda made me uncomfortable)
so, here's a quick copy paste of my post there for you guys...hopefully yall can help me out, cause i can't find an answer anywhere on here.
thank you in advance for those of you that help

i don't have the money to a controller/usb adapter, or a memory card, so i've been looking at making one. seems simple enough. but i have one question. all of the tutorials i've found are using female usb connectors(like the one in your computer) so that you can plug in an usb flash drive. is this really necessary? could i just use a spare usb cable laying around, use the male end, and just usb straight to my computer. as far as i can tell, hooking up the adapter is to let the xbox see the flash drive as a normal memory card. if it can see the flash drive as a normal memorycard, could it see my laptop the same way?
please respond if you're going to be helpful
don't bother if you're only going to flame

ps. on a side note(because they're apparantley hard to find) are Mechassault, 007: Agent Under Fire and Spinter Cell the only games with an exploit? where can i find a list of exploited games if these aren't the only ones?(yes, i've even googled this one and searched on my swagbucks account, i can't find a list anywhere)

Edited by oldbox, 22 November 2009 - 05:11 PM.

#2 oldbox

oldbox

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 08:40 PM

can noone help me?

#3 oldbox

oldbox

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:03 PM

can noone help me?

#4 oldbox

oldbox

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:31 PM

can noone help me?

#5 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 22 November 2009 - 11:01 PM

Bump once a day, if you must.

QUOTE(oldbox @ Nov 23 2009, 12:04 AM) View Post
if it can see the flash drive as a normal memorycard, could it see my laptop the same way?

Nope. A laptop is a complex machine with an operating system. A memory card is a dedicated storage device. Two very different things.

You could hook your male connector onto a controller cable so that the controller itself could be connected to your laptop. If you were to stick a standard memory card in said controller, you could load the exploited save onto that.

QUOTE(oldbox @ Nov 23 2009, 12:04 AM) View Post
ps. on a side note(because they're apparantley hard to find) are Mechassault, 007: Agent Under Fire and Spinter Cell the only games with an exploit?

Yes.

#6 oldbox

oldbox

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 03:48 PM

i didn't realize that my post posted so many times. i didn't mean to bump that many times....

so i could use a male adaptor, to connect to the laptop.....didn't think of using the other side of the controller cord, hmm....now i still have to come up with money to get a memory card. lol...i wish i could find someone that would hack it for me....but everyone i can find, only does the 360.

#7 bearcreek

bearcreek

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:05 PM

Why not buy a modchip? Last time I checked Duo modchips were roughly $10.00, but that has been a while ago. I would look for a link for you, but I am at work and I am a little leary of posting hacking info. But anyway, with a modchip you would not need anything else. Well a hd, unless you have one. Modchips make it alot easier especially when it comes to changing hard drives.

#8 oldbox

oldbox

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 04:53 PM

cause i simply do not have any money. and i don't have a soldering iron. i'm pretty sure i could do it if i had the iron and the chip. but i don't even know where to get the chip, and can't afford either anyway. i figured softmod would be cheaper, and reversible if i ever chose to(don't know why i'd want to, but options, ya know?)

#9 frigusoris

frigusoris

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 24 November 2009 - 07:11 PM

The list may seem a little daunting and outdated at first, but I highly recommend taking a look through This page of collected tuts.

There's multiple guides on how to make the usb cable and create the usb stick "memory card". Hell, there's guides for just about everything on there and it's a page I still frequent when I have a question.

The biggest problem I ran into when I made my cable and "memory card" was finding a compatible USB flash drive. I have many of these kicking around, but the xbox won't take anything above 4 gigs and I just don't have many small drives left. Anything 32 mb to 4 gig should have a chance of working.

I got lucky with a 2 gig drive I had around after about 6 other attempts... and remember that just because you have two exact same model drives does not mean they have the same internals, eg. one may work and one may not. It's all hit or miss in that regard.

#10 oldbox

oldbox

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 08:01 PM

yes, but as i said, all of the tutorials use a female usb connector on the adaptor so that the usb flash drive will connect to the cord. i do not have a usb cord anywhere that has a female end. that's what my original question was about. i need to find a way, with what i have laying around the house, to get the files onto the box

#11 kirky1991

kirky1991

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 24 November 2009 - 08:26 PM

Well, It sounds asif you are trying to jump a 20ft gap with nothing but your two legs....

No use cable, no female usb port, No soldering iron, No softmod game.... your really SOL

An option you could try is the hotswap method.

Between powering you xbox on and it loading the dashboard the HDD is unlocked.

The way to do it is to power on the xbox, allow the xbox to unlock the HDD then unplug the IDE cable, plug it into your PC. Boot up xplora360 found in 'the usual places' and basicly use a softmod creator to create a softmod using you Cdrive that you can access from Xplora 360. Once saved onto the HDD you can then power of the Xbox plug it all back in turn it on a hopefully it worked.... if it didnt you can only recover it from a modchip. If you managed to get your HDD key you could boot XBHD manager( I think ) and unlock you HDD then meaning you can plug it into your pc without hotswapping and use Xplora360 to edit the data on the HDD then use XBHDmanager( i think ) to then lock the HDD back to your xbox using the appropriate HDD key/Eeprom

You could once hotswapped save the exploit gamesave on the xbox then boot the exploitable game...however you would need the game in the first place...back to my first sentance in this post then....

All of this is avaliable via Google

Edited by kirky1991, 24 November 2009 - 08:28 PM.

#12 Travo1

Travo1

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:30 PM

how do you eat if you cannot afford a 10 dollar chip??
anyways I recommend hot swapping, at most itll cost is a cdr or a cdrw
Ndure Softmod Through Xboxhdm - Scenyx Entertainment Community

#13 kirky1991

kirky1991

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:47 PM

^

Thats the softmod creator i was on about wink.gif

#14 oldbox

oldbox

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:35 PM

LOL...yeah, Kirky it seems that way, especially since i only have a laptop hahaha. but i DID finally catch a break. and i wanted to check with you guys first.
i found a guy on craigslist that has a modded xbox already loaded up with emulators and such. he's just going to swap boxes with me and i give him $10. is there anything i should keep my eyes open for? not modding it myself, i don't know much about it. what do i need AFTER it's modded, if i want to put more games or anything onto it? just an ethernet cable to my router, to my laptop, right? just FTP everything in?

are there any questions i should ask this guy about the system that i would need to know about?

i already had Ndure Softmod Through Xboxhdm d/led onto my laptop and ready to go. lol.....and, how hard is it to swap HDD's after it's already modded? i may want a bigger one. can i use just any old HDD i have laying around?

#15 kirky1991

kirky1991

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:40 PM

If the other XBOX is hard modded. Ask waht chip he has out of curiosity

If it is hard modded then you dont need to work, Because if you only mess iwth software you wont have a problem...If you erase the hard drive, Download AID3.0 (was the latest last time i checked) and install your prefered dashboard and apps and your good to go again, Minus any data you put on there ofcourse...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users