• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dballs442

dballs442

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Interests:Sustainability, Playing music, Mountain Biking, Snowboard, Games, Micro Beer, Camping, River Sports
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 26 November 2009 - 09:46 PM

has porting any bit of goldeneye 64 been discussed any where? i think many would agree this was the most influential fps of all time for consoles. im guessing the source isnt out for it eh? or is it xbox limitations?

#2 neil222

neil222

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 26 November 2009 - 10:16 PM

No source for this would ever be released...because its a Nintendo 64 game.
Nintendo would never do that. biggrin.gif

#3 gman060692

gman060692

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 28 November 2009 - 07:42 AM

the source for the turok engine(the game engine goldeneye uses) was released. However with that you only have the engine so you would have to rip the textures and models from a goldeneye 64 rom and then completely write the scripting for each of the levels from scratch.

#4 Xmodder deluX

Xmodder deluX

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 28 November 2009 - 08:01 AM

Even though it would be hard work, it would be awesome for everyone in the end. I would love to see this happen, but I don't have high hopes for it. And isn't it a shame that it wasn't released on the xbox 360 arcade? That really boils my blood. grr.gif

#5 Clockface

Clockface

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 11:10 PM

QUOTE(gman060692 @ Nov 28 2009, 08:42 AM) View Post

the source for the turok engine(the game engine goldeneye uses) was released. However with that you only have the engine so you would have to rip the textures and models from a goldeneye 64 rom and then completely write the scripting for each of the levels from scratch.

First of all, when was the Turok engine released? Given that it was on the N64, a closed system, I doubt if Iguana could release it even if they wanted to, given how closely Nintendo guarded the N64's secrets. And Nitnendo are famous for how tough and watertight their contracts are. And anyway, Goldeneye was definitely not based on the Turok Engine, it was a propriatary engine written by Rare that underwent many changes through it's gestation, as Rare have said several times.

A real pity, though. I really do wish that the source code to Rare's games was released. Imagine goldeneye and Perfect Dar being ported to other machines!

#6 gman060692

gman060692

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:29 PM

QUOTE(Clockface @ Nov 29 2009, 05:10 PM) View Post

First of all, when was the Turok engine released? Given that it was on the N64, a closed system, I doubt if Iguana could release it even if they wanted to, given how closely Nintendo guarded the N64's secrets. And Nitnendo are famous for how tough and watertight their contracts are. And anyway, Goldeneye was definitely not based on the Turok Engine, it was a propriatary engine written by Rare that underwent many changes through it's gestation, as Rare have said several times.

A real pity, though. I really do wish that the source code to Rare's games was released. Imagine goldeneye and Perfect Dar being ported to other machines!

I can't exactly remember where I saw it, but some guy ported the turok engine to the psp. He ported it from the source code of the pc turok engine.(turok was released on the pc as well you know) So the engine won't be exactly the same as n64 engine, but it's pretty close.

Oh and perfect dark is getting a release on xbla, but goldeneye won't be due to some legal isues with mgm owning the rights to the james bond name and likeness as well as the goldeneye movie.

Edit: sorry my bad I did a little searching and found I was thinking of kurok, a heavily modded quake engine made to look and feel like turok and goldeneye. Though the goldeneye mod for kurok might be a cheap and easy starting point for getting a goldeneye remake on the xbox. http://www.bladebattles.com/kurok

Edited by gman060692, 30 November 2009 - 08:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users