• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 corrosivefrost

corrosivefrost

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 03:22 AM

I have a bit of an odd situation here... and didn't know quite where to ask, so I'm going to post up here and ask. Sorry If I've got the wrong forum, mods, please move if needed.

So I have a banned 360 that's currently updated to the latest dashboard, so odds are installing games to the HDD and being able to use my gamerprofile without corruption on this box is NOT a reality. (It's for sale in the shopping forums, if anyone has a use for it [/shameless plug]...)

I have another banned 360 that's currently on NXE, but hasn't had a system update since around August. Dashlevel is definitely sub 85xx. I think it's 849x. I can still install games. I can play anything, it seems, as it's a Hitachi with 1.51. However, newer games are asking to update the system twice before allowing me to play them -- most of these are wave 4/5 games (L4D2, AC2, Tekken 6, MW2, GTAIV:Episodes) except for one exception: Fallout 3 GOTY DLC disc. This is wave 3, but presents me with a "needed update" to install the content.

Now, I'm leery of updating the box with *anything* as I don't want it to become crippled by the newest updates. I've tried patching games to earlier waves -- this seems to work partially. It removes one of the two updates the games try to apply.

Mainly, I'm trying to figure out if accepting the remaining update will cripple my current box. Also, I've started reading threads here about unbanning consoles (which has my head spinning) and it seems like maybe that stuff could actually apply to this console... hell, my whole goal here was to get a system i could use for offline play alongside a legit system for online. That's what I'm still trying for...

So, am I hosed here? Is there no way around updating if I want to play the newer games but not deal with the corruption or lack of installs? Is there an easy way of dealing with the side effects of accepting the update?

Thanks in advance.

#2 rwcottrell

rwcottrell

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 05:46 AM

just accept the update they wont hurt ya to the best of my knowledge.

#3 corrosivefrost

corrosivefrost

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 05:50 AM

QUOTE(rwcottrell @ Nov 28 2009, 11:46 PM) View Post

just accept the update they wont hurt ya to the best of my knowledge.

Won't accepting the update push my dashboard code to the level which signs saves/profiles and corrupts them? Or is that the update that I dodged by downgrading the wave of the disc?

#4 corrosivefrost

corrosivefrost

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 08:56 PM

anybody?

I really don't want to apply any of these updates without knowing what they are.
I was under the impression that the "wave" of the disc carried the proper system update... FWIW, borderlands (wave 3) plays fine -- it's only wave 4 games (and F3 GOTY DLC disc) that seem to require the higher dashboard level...

Is there anyway to spoof a dash level so I can avoid the update?

#5 DemisesAngel

DemisesAngel

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 29 November 2009 - 09:13 PM

The way your XBox 360 gets banned is if you are flagged my M$ by using the XBox Live service. Updating it through the games will not get your XBox 360 banned, but you won't be able to do the JTag Exploit.

You can actually restore functionality to your banned XBox 360. Check this thread. If you successfully restore your banned 360, then you could sell your 849x console. The 849x console would get more hits from people wanting to buy it.

#6 Billybob-xbox

Billybob-xbox

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 10:52 PM

If the console is banned and updated with the latest updates on AC2/L4D2 I believe this will cripple the HDD functionality. Best to steer clear. (Google seems to indicate a few forums all agreeing with this - and I was pretty sure I read it in a thread on here just after the ban wave/new update came through with folks that already had been hit by the ban hammer a while ago)

Edited by Billybob-xbox, 29 November 2009 - 10:52 PM.

#7 rwcottrell

rwcottrell

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:36 AM

QUOTE(Billybob-xbox @ Nov 29 2009, 03:52 PM) View Post

If the console is banned and updated with the latest updates on AC2/L4D2 I believe this will cripple the HDD functionality. Best to steer clear. (Google seems to indicate a few forums all agreeing with this - and I was pretty sure I read it in a thread on here just after the ban wave/new update came through with folks that already had been hit by the ban hammer a while ago)

never heard of this but to be safe is usually to be wise.

#8 DemisesAngel

DemisesAngel

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:51 AM

Yes, those are really old lists that contain information about those who were banned (years ago). The ban list on the actual media (or disk) is only a certain size. It hasn't been stated yet though, if they were able to increase the size of the file to put more consoles on that list. Either way, there is a diagram on the other pages on how to write-protect your nand. Write-Protecting it will allow you to play those games and not lose functionality when they want to install updates.

Edited by DemisesAngel, 30 November 2009 - 02:52 AM.

#9 corrosivefrost

corrosivefrost

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:45 AM

QUOTE(DemisesAngel @ Nov 29 2009, 03:13 PM) View Post

The way your XBox 360 gets banned is if you are flagged my M$ by using the XBox Live service. Updating it through the games will not get your XBox 360 banned, but you won't be able to do the JTag Exploit.

You can actually restore functionality to your banned XBox 360. Check this thread. If you successfully restore your banned 360, then you could sell your 849x console. The 849x console would get more hits from people wanting to buy it.

Thanks for the info.

While not JTag exploitable now, the updated box will serve my purpose, which is better than selling it. I just wanted an offline box that could play backups and was worried that updating would enable the signing code that microsoft uses to corrupt saves and profiles between banned and non-banned units.

As it seems that my older box was banned before this junk happened, I'm a-ok with it being non-JTagable, as I'm still able to install games, play offline, use my gamerprofile if I wish, etc. I was able to install disc 2 of the F3 GOTY edition to my 20gb HDD. I bit the bullet and installed the update that AC2 wanted to put on too. Afterwards, I was able to install AC2 and am currently installing Fallout 3.

I'm guessing that because this box was banned in November 2008 (prior to nxe) that whatever cpu key signing stuff occurs when the ban happens these days did not happen to me and will probably not happen to this box in the future.

Mods could close this thread now, probably, I got my answers.

Thanks again.

Edited by corrosivefrost, 30 November 2009 - 03:50 AM.

#10 nfinite

nfinite

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:43 PM

I don't mean to revive a resolved topic, but I'm in a similar situation and feeling the same anxiety. My xbox was banned.. I guess two years ago, but I have been updated to the new NXE dashboard; HDD installs and the avatars and such. If I remember correctly I'm on the old xtreme 5.3 firmware, so I haven't been keeping up much with the latest firmware revision. But I have been able to play Wave3 games fine.

I just would like to confirm a few things. You mentioned that you were able to update your console.
Was this an update from a Wave4 disc?
Or was this remaining updates from a modified disc with Wave4 patched down to Wave3?

So as to have a concrete conclusion, does the update that comes with Wave4 disable functionality (HDD, saves, etc) in previously-banned units?

Thanks~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users