X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  • Interests:rebuilding broken xboxes
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 29 November 2009 - 05:46 AM

I was thinking about something nes said in his fbl thread to some skinners. He was talking about the gui working from a separate core than the emulator on his emulator. This got me thinking about psx and mame and a couple other emulators such as the gamegear-mastersystem etc. Then I started thinking about the fact we have well documented dat files for most of the bigger systems.

Somehow some xport emulators and some mame emulators and n64 use multiple xbe files that it launches due to some type of config or setting for certain games etc. Could a universal gui be tweaked to become a rom launcher?

Could all of the xport emulators possibly be housed under one gui? where the file name, extension or crc could be used with a shortcut or ini or config file to determine which emulator to play the rom with?

#2 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 06:01 AM

Personally, I think that would be AWESOME.

I just don't know if it can be executed without some major coding talent, if at all.

My only reason for stating this is because of how lousy the PSX emulator works. There are three different cores for that emulator, and whenever you switch from one core to another it takes pretty much the full loading time for that core to enable.

I'm 100% positive that the COULD be done. It's just a question of Will and Expertise. That's a tall order.

Anyways.... I do plan on adding full uploads for the configs for the CUT files that will work perfectly with the Xtras when they're all through. It's roughly the same thing, although it has some downsides now.

The good things:
1. Easily go to any system on your box from folders within XBMC and see the boxart for each game as you scroll through.

2. All-in-one interface.

3. Madmab cut out SAMBA support and made a few other tweaks so you can get a game to load this way in half the time it took before.

4. When you exit the game this way, it will close the emulator and re-load XBMC.

The bad things:
1. No videos.

2. Takes around 8 seconds to load a game.

3. When you exit the game it doesn't take you back to the folder you launced it from. XBMC just starts up like it normally does at the main screen.

Edited by ressurectionx, 29 November 2009 - 06:03 AM.

#3 run088

run088

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  • Interests:rebuilding broken xboxes

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:46 AM

Guess I will never use the new emulators then. Without samba support they are worthless to me no matter how much they can do. I guess the old ones do the job performance wise anyway. I refuse to maintained 5 systems when I can have one place to store them and use them everywhere including my pc. My pc and xbox's share the same romsets. 5 tv's in the house with 5 xboxes hooked to them as well as 3 pc's. All media and emulation is streamable anywhere on the network. 4tb's worth of stuff accessable anywhere and only a factory hdd in each xbox to do it. I hate xbox games for this very reason. I can't stream them so I can only play my near full 2tb xbox game collection consisting of over 700 xbox games in one place. I don't want to be in the same boat with emulation either. It is not worth it.

I am super stoked to find out with the old builds you can network jump with xbmc cutoff files. I had read where this was not possible but I can verify that it does work and I am stoked about it. Your screenshots and xbmc launching via cut files with samba is the way I am going to go. I am going to see if relax works to. The old emulators should work just fine for this purpose.

Edited by run088, 29 November 2009 - 08:15 AM.

#4 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 12:20 PM

SAMBA is only stripped out for launching from XBMC, otherwise it works fine if you just load the emulators. We only removed it so speed up load time for launching from XBMC.

Guess you're not using the Xtras then either, if you don't have room to load the roms from the box either, huh?

Bummer.... unsure.gif

EDIT: If you're going to launch from cuts with the old emulators, just beware that you're not only missing out on all of the updates (which there have been a TON of), but it will take about 16 seconds to load a game too so it's pretty annoying and useless using .CUT files without the new builds.

Edited by ressurectionx, 29 November 2009 - 12:21 PM.

#5 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 29 November 2009 - 01:33 PM

QUOTE(run088 @ Nov 28 2009, 11:46 PM) View Post

I was thinking about something nes said in his fbl thread to some skinners. He was talking about the gui working from a separate core than the emulator on his emulator. This got me thinking about psx and mame and a couple other emulators such as the gamegear-mastersystem etc. Then I started thinking about the fact we have well documented dat files for most of the bigger systems.

Somehow some xport emulators and some mame emulators and n64 use multiple xbe files that it launches due to some type of config or setting for certain games etc. Could a universal gui be tweaked to become a rom launcher?

Could all of the xport emulators possibly be housed under one gui? where the file name, extension or crc could be used with a shortcut or ini or config file to determine which emulator to play the rom with?

Yeah I picked up on this as well. Although it would be nice to do this with x-port emu's I doubt it will be me. It would require way too much work compared to the amount of time I actually have to sit down and code these things. The code would need a pretty big rewrite in order for this to work. I've reworked a handful of portions and if things happen to work out I may go thru and clean up all the samba/relax code that is spread all over the place in this thing. But that is something that'd best wait until I get all the emulators converted since in some emulators x-port does not quite do things the same so I wanna be sure I see all possible permutations.

It seems that the two biggest memory advantages to such a scheme would be memory saved from loading a good portion of the skin and the movie playback functionality. But even then to some extent x-port got around the skin issue by unloading all the textures before starting emulation.. So I dunno.

Either way it would have to be done with someone with far more time than I. I even considered doing such for Winuaex (and possibly DosXbox) so that I could "re-enable" certain features without choking up the free memory.

3. Madmab cut out SAMBA support and made a few other tweaks so you can get a game to load this way in half the time it took before.

No need to worry Run088. If I did so something like this I would have an option to "disable network support when loading via XBE". Similar to the other option in the general settings that tells it to completely exit when it is loaded via command prompt.

#6 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE(madmab @ Nov 29 2009, 06:33 AM) View Post

No need to worry Run088. If I did so something like this I would have an option to "disable network support when loading via XBE". Similar to the other option in the general settings that tells it to completely exit when it is loaded via command prompt.

You did so something like this..... cool.gif

I'm unaware of this option. Good to see it will be in the final product though. Keepin it real for everyone.

#7 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 29 November 2009 - 05:42 PM

So did... tongue.gif

#8 tristanx

tristanx

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:10 AM

QUOTE(run088 @ Nov 28 2009, 08:46 PM) View Post

I always thought maybe consolidating some of xports emu's, ie neogenesis and the SMS/gg emu into one and the xboyadvance with the nes one.

Putting them all on one GUI would be... Interesting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users