• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tortol89

tortol89

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:27 AM

Im trying to set my xbox to NTSC using the Enigmah program. The problem is that when the xbmc automatically starts up after ive changed the settings, it still is pal.

- I have bought a HD cable and want the option, 720p and 1080p.
- Have a Softmodded xbox(SID)
- Running XBMC as dash
- The xbox is PAL

This i have done:
- Used frosty to remove shadow C.
- Putted eeprom_off.bin in the E root. Have also tried to put it in the C folder.
- Tried the Enigmah program, pushed the 4 buttons, but no changes happens.

Have seen in the original xbox dash, also there the only option is pal.

Hope someone can help!

#2 onbail

onbail

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 02:55 PM

Enigmah does work you need a component cable and a compatible HDTV.

Once you've loaded up Enigmah and have selected NTSC you need to hard reboot it
which means you need to shutdown the xbox manually.

#3 tortol89

tortol89

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE(onbail @ Dec 2 2009, 02:55 PM) View Post

Enigmah does work you need a component cable and a compatible HDTV.

Once you've loaded up Enigmah and have selected NTSC you need to hard reboot it
which means you need to shutdown the xbox manually.

I am trying with component cable.
(http://cgi.ebay.com/High-Definition-HDTV-Component-Cable-For-Microsoft-XBOX_W0QQitemZ370295705960QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVideo_Games_Accessories?hash=item5637581168)

I have a HDTV (Plasma TV LG 42PQ200R)

But it still would not work.

I have also tried to hard reboot the xbox after I selected NTSC, but still it would not change too pal after reboot.

#4 tortol89

tortol89

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:29 PM

I have version 1.6 crystal, if that have something to say.

#5 tortol89

tortol89

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:51 PM

I have tried a lot on my own. And now this is the situation;

By using frosty to load enigmah, i manage to change to ntsc.

In msdash its ntsc and I have the option; 720, 420 and 1080.
When starting xbmc it is PAL
But when I boot up with frosty and start xbmc from there its NTSC and works perfect.

So the question is: How can i get NTSC without booting up with frosty?

Can it be that when I start msdash it uses the "new" eeprom file, and when I boot up with frosty it uses the "new" eeprom file, and when i start the xbmc without frosty it uses the "old" eeprom file?

Some ideas?

#6 FuzzyQ

FuzzyQ

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:13 PM

Hi folks!
I'm also using a softmodded Xbox with XBMC as dashboard.
Instead of the cable solution I've got the Neoya X2VGA 1 adapter.
When switching to NTSC mode via enigmah I can enable all HD video modes in XBMC, but when I try to switch to a resolution higher that 480i, my screen just goes blank and Xbox won't respond to anything. Perhaps my LCD monitors are incompatible with the adapter. I will have to try with an old RGB monitor.

Anyway, every time I shut down Xbox it automatically reverts to PAL mode. I can only preserve NTSC when reseting instead of rebooting.
So I'm kind of having the same problem.

Furthermore, I seem to have lost my original msxbox.xbe, probably many years ago when a friend of mine applied the softmod. Is it even possible to constantly switch to HD resolutions without enabling them in original dashboard?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Best regards
FuzzyQ

#7 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 24 January 2010 - 03:18 AM

Virtual eeprom is enabled and hence PAL to NTSC switch doesn't stick.

Read this and this for a reply to your question on the dependency on msdash for mode changes:it is not required.

#8 FuzzyQ

FuzzyQ

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:09 PM

Thank you very much, ldotsfan!
This gave me an important clue about what I'm missing.
I'm still confused, though.
I still don't know where exactly to put the EEPROM_off.bin file. I didn't do the softmod myself, hence I don't know which nkpatcher was used. Only thing I know is that it has been a font-exploid, since my unleashx dashboard is located in the fonts folder of C partition. I suppose it doesn't make any sense to put EEPROM_off.bin anywhere on E then.
There is, however, a folder named "nk" in C:\fonts\ which contains a "nkpatcher.xbe" alongside some other files.
So far, I tried with putting EEPROM_off.bin in C:\, C:\fonts\, C:\fonts\nk and C:\fonts\dashboard\ (and, of course, E:\).
After switching to NTSC via enigmah and reseting xbox I deleted all EEPROM_off.bin files and shut down the xbox. Still, reboot reverted everything to PAL again.
Sorry, this all may seem very stupid and may have been discussed several times in this forum, but even after searching for solutions I didn't even find those helpful links Idotsfan delivered. In fact, this topic here was everything I found that concerned my very problem.

Thanks for your patience and help!

Best regards,
FuzzyQ

#9 Guest_Heimdall07_Guest

Guest_Heimdall07_Guest
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:30 PM

Boot with Frosty's Rescue Disc, and find any files named eeprom.bin anywhere on your Xbox, ftp them to your PC for safe keeping, then delete them from the Xbox. Then, without rebooting, run Enigmah from your hard drive and switch to NTSC. Reboot again with Frosty's Rescue Disc, run XBMC, and set up the HD modes as described in the post ldotsfan linked to.

You might also want to consider upgrading your softmod to a newer one that uses shadow C to protect you against accidentally overwriting the softmod exploit files on your C partition. Krayzie 1.1.1 or Kingroach NDURE 3.1 are the two you'll get most support for round here.

#10 FuzzyQ

FuzzyQ

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:19 AM

EDIT:

Hey guys!
First off I want to thank this whole forum for it's existence! Although it was a pain in the a** (at least for me) to read trough dozens of articles, getting more confused by each, I wouldn't have known what to do without it.

I finally took a maybe very radical but reasonable solution:

Since I didn't know anything about my softmod besides that it was very different from the modern ones, I decided to erase my whole C: drive (after making a backup!) and installed a virgin state original msdash which I was lucky enough to stumple upon the internet.

I then applied the most recent krayzie ndure softmod. I also installed triple boot, meaning that I'm able to switch between original msdash, evox and xbmc.
That all functioning well I made another backup (honestly guys, you can't ever make too many backups! biggrin.gif ).

Now comes the difficult and dangerous part. I loaded krayzies extras and it's professional mode. In pro-mode, your whole system is defenseless against changes, so don't screw up!
But that means you're also able to change the original eeprom, which is exactly what I had in mind. So back in evox, pro-mode still active (indicated by your led shining red, which is more than appropriate smile.gif ) I ran Enigmah video switcher, changed video mode to NTSC, reseted. Now I went to krayzies extras again and updated the eeprom (as I understand, that is necessary because you have to update your virtual eeprom as well). After reboot my msdash appeared in an ugly-as-hell flickering, which let me know: I succeeded!
Next I enabled all HD-modes, plugged in my neoyo X2VGA adapter, started xbmc and switched to 720p resolution.

And it just blew my mind. There is absolutely no comparison to that flickering blurryness I had to endure before that!

There are some lose ends, however. First of all, it seems as if most, but not all PAL-xbox-games are running on NTSC. Why they do while others don't I can't tell. Judging by the appearance I wouldn't say that many of them support high resolutions. And if they were running on 480i it would look like my starting screen with the xbox logo: cruel and flickering. By the way: is it possible to tell msdash to run on at least 480p or even 720p?

Furthermore, the xbox CPU & GPU seem to be to weak to handle mkv video format on highest resolution. Limiting video resolution to 720p and playing movies using dvdplayer instead of mplayer made it better, but not much. There are still lags while playing.
So obviously I still have some reading to do. Anyway, the whole thing was well worth the efford. Thanks again for the help!

Best regards,
FuzzyQ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users