doveman007

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:03 AM

I'd previously flashed my MS25 with IX1.6(MS28) without any problem, using Jungle Flasher on my Gigabyte MA780G-UD3H board (AMD SATA/IDE).

Today I tried to flash the original firmware back, using Jungle Flasher, and it erased the first bank and then when it tried to write it, I got: .......yyy.... and it froze like that.

So now I've got a drive that's not recognised and won't eject. I've been trying all day to fix it using Mtkflash and Dosflash from a USB stick but I'm not having any luck.

I've tried it on both the Gigabyte AMD board and my other P4 ICH5 board. On both, Mtkflash just sits at the Port line and escaping shows "Status = 00, should be 70". Dosflash (on the ICH5) shows:
0) 0XC000 SATA Pri Master None
1) 0xC800 SATA Sec Master ATAPI No Identify Possible
MTK Vendor Info failed on port 0xC800

and re-sending shows it flipping between 0x80 and 0x00. Disconnecting the power changes it to 0x00 and reconnecting the power goes back to flipping between 0x80 and 0x00. This is on the ICH5. On the AMD, I was seeing 0x7F when the power was disconnected. I do see this on the ICH5 if I run Dosflash without connecting power to the drive.

I've tried booting the P4 with the SATA and power disconnected from the drive and then connecting them once it's booted, disconnecting the power starting Mtkflash and reconnecting it after 10 seconds as well as using Xtreme Boot Maker to make a modified Mtkflash. I haven't tried all these things on the AMD but I did try disconnecting and reconnecting the power several times. I'm powering the drive from my PC by the way.

So if anyone's got any ideas, I'd appreciate your help.

#2 excaliburlives

excaliburlives

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:54 AM

Did you have the active iso disc inside before you tried to flash?

#3 doveman007

doveman007

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:24 AM

No, I had the tray half open, as the JF tutorial describes.

#4 foolkiller

foolkiller

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v3.1 (opus)

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:49 AM

Use the newest dosflash16(v1.8), boot into DOS Mode, have the drive powered on and type "DosFlash W PORT 1 A0 0 0 4 A:\fw.bin 0"(PORT= your SATA port and A:\fw.bin= location and name of your f/w). You were probably using Windows Xp, erasing a drive in Windows Xp always locks it up for me, this does not happen in Vista or Windows 7 by the way. Good Luck.

"No, I had the tray half open, as the JF tutorial describes."
You don't have to have the try open for sammys.

Edited by foolkiller, 04 December 2009 - 03:53 AM.

#5 doveman007

doveman007

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:47 AM

OK, so I tried "Dosflash W C000 1 A0 0 0 4 SAMOFW.BIN 0" and I still get "MTK Vendor Intro failed on port 0xC000" and then it asks me if I want to try the Magic28 method, then Geremia's method and then the third method, which I press Y to and then it goes into the same loop between status 80 and 00, unless I disconnect the power when it changes to 7F.

This was with the P4. I'll try the AMD tomorrow.

Yeah, I was using XP. I didn't have any problems with it when I flashed the drive from stock to iX1.6 though.

The JF tutorial seems to think you need the tray half-open for sammys when they've been previously flashed with iX, but not if they're stock. Might have just been a coincidence, but I couldn't get the Vendor status to show up until I'd done that.

#6 iateshaggy

iateshaggy

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 04 December 2009 - 05:05 AM

i think half open is just for ix1.4. current ix16 u just intro into (if u have via). also, if you have via, be sure to delete your driver as per the tutorial or you will lock your pc up as soon as the drive powers.

#7 superkmk

superkmk

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:02 AM

I had this happen to me a few times. I used MTKFlash with bad flash recovery and it worked.. I forget the command off-hand.

#8 plug1

plug1

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:31 AM

in dosflash when it says "resend comand" --- reboot the drive count to 5, then press escape - it will find the
drive , then it obvious.
Fuct

#9 doveman007

doveman007

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:32 AM

I think the MTKFlash bad flash recovery method is MTKFLASH W /SATA /M original.bin and then pressing 1 just after powering the drive, in an attempt to catch a code 70. I don't think /SATA is really necessary, at least in my case, as it seems to find the ports/drive fine without it.

I've already tried this but I probably haven't been doing it quick enough to be fair, so I'll give it another go. I'm using v1.83, which I assume is OK. It also comes with a .TYP file, which I assume is important and needs to be present.

I understand MTKFlash has built-in support for ICH5, so it's probably best I stick to trying on that for now but if I decide to try with the AMD, I suppose I'll need to modify it with Xtreme Boot Maker or some other tool won't I? The device ID for "AMD SATA Controller (Native IDE Mode)" is Ven_1002&Dev_4390 and for "AMD PCI IDE Controller" is Ven_1002&Dev_439C if that makes any difference.

#10 plug1

plug1

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:48 AM

the drive is dead you have corrupted the flash do what i say will fix it
done load like this , discs or tray open wont make any difference
you need to rebbot the drive !!!!!

#11 doveman007

doveman007

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:58 PM

I'm not getting anywhere on the P4.

I've tried switching on the drive and straight away starting the DosFlash rescan, starting the rescan and then switching on the drive, switching it off for 10 seconds and then on again and doing the same thing with MtkFlash but all with the same results.

If I press ESC in dosflash when it's re-sending and then select the port/drive and then Write or Erase, it just says "Unknown Flash Chip!"

At this point, I'm not sure there's much point even trying with the AMD board, as DosFlash and MtkFlash should be compatible with the ICH5 and might not be with the AMD.

It looks like I'll either have to get a new drive or at least a new logic board with stock firmware, which I should then be able to flash with my own. Is it fairly easy to swap the logic boards on the MS25?

#12 plug1

plug1

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:56 PM

1/power the drive
2/run dosflash
3 dosflash promts it cant see the drive -resend comand , TYPE Y
4/power cycle the drive , from ON to OFF then ON .
5/ give it a few second then press escape
6/ now the flash is recognised.

I make it simple

#13 doveman007

doveman007

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:32 PM

I wish you did "make it simple" plug1, but unfortunately nothing's working.

It seems the 10 second trick only works with VIA or Nforce, so I'm thinking of getting a VIA VT6421A PCI card, which will probably come in handy again someday so will be a better investment than a new logic board and will avoid the hassle of swapping the boards.

#14 doveman007

doveman007

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 05:09 PM

Well I'm happy to report I've managed to fix the drive with the VIA card. biggrin.gif

At first, DosFlash and MtkFlash (even the VIA version I downloaded) didn't work but I used Xtreme Boot Maker to make a custom MtkFlash for my VIA card, with the MS28 patches, and then it worked first time.

I've got some problems with the VIA card though rolleyes.gif When the MS25's switched on, after POST the PC sits for ages at a boot screen titled "RAID BIOS Setting Utility v4.90" saying "Scan Devices. Please wait" and then after an age it says "Hardware Initiate failed. Please Check Device!!! The Bios does not be [sic] installed. Press <g> to continue!"

If I then proceed to boot XP, it hangs on the boot screen (no animated loading bar). If I switch off the drive, XP boots OK but if I then load JF and switch the drive on again, XP freezes up completely and I have to switch the drive off again to unfreeze it.

If however I connect the MS25 to my motherboard's SATA ports, I don't have any problems with the VIA BIOS or XP hanging and JF detects it just fine.

So, firstly is there any way to stop the VIA BIOS doing it's scan and secondly is there any way to fix the problems with XP booting and locking up when the MS25 is connected to the VIA and switched on?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users