• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 jradicle11

jradicle11

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:53 PM

Everytime I insert a 360 game, I get "To play this disc please insert it in an Xbox 360." I just recently swapped the drive from a broken E74 360 into a 360 that had a broken disc drive. It plays DVDs just fine, but refuses to work with 360 games. So far, I've only trained using different games.

#2 SPARCT

SPARCT

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:51 AM

Is it the same drive type? Did you inject the key from the old drive into the new one? It sounds like the key was not added into the new drive, which causes the symptoms you are describing. A incorrect or missing key will play DVDs without any problem but will not play games of any type.

If you did inject the key properly I would recommend hooking it back up to your PC and verifying that the key was copied over correctly.

#3 lcollier93

lcollier93

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:56 AM

QUOTE(SPARCT @ Dec 4 2009, 05:51 PM) View Post

Is it the same drive type? Did you inject the key from the old drive into the new one? It sounds like the key was not added into the new drive, which causes the symptoms you are describing. A incorrect or missing key will play DVDs without any problem but will not play games of any type.

If you did inject the key properly I would recommend hooking it back up to your PC and verifying that the key was copied over correctly.

ya sparct is right you probably did not get the key transferred to this drive.

#4 jradicle11

jradicle11

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:28 AM

Hm, I just took the drive out of the old 360 and just plopped it into this one. I didn't know I needed to inject the key. How would I go about doing this?

#5 jradicle11

jradicle11

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 06:38 AM

http://www.XS Filter...torials-61.html

Is this a good tutorial to follow? I'm worried that some of the programs might not work with ubuntu.

#6 jradicle11

jradicle11

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:44 AM

Could I just do this:

Open up the DVD drives and replace some of the circuit boards or w/e?

#7 jradicle11

jradicle11

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:20 PM

Any idea?

#8 whyexactly

whyexactly

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 08:34 PM

If the drives are the exact same FW and everything, then you can swap the internal control boards. If not, you will have to hook it up to the computer to swap the keys.

But first off, what was wrong with the original drive, and why don't you fix the E74? You might be able to have 2 working 260's with very little effort involved.

#9 jradicle11

jradicle11

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 08:49 PM

Alright, the one 360 had a faulty disc drive that refused to open but the 360 itself worked fine. The second 360 had E74 and I tried the xclamp replacement to no avail.

#10 jradicle11

jradicle11

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:56 PM

I took apart both of the drives and the parts aren't the same so I'm guessing they're different. One is toshiba and samsung and the other is philips & benQ. Looks like I'm going to have to inject the keys. Problem is, the programs I need (which I don't know because I'm not sure how to do it) might not be compatible with ubuntu, my OS.

#11 jradicle11

jradicle11

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:22 AM

Is it a problem that the drives are different brands?

#12 whyexactly

whyexactly

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:55 AM

The clamp replacement won't fix an E74, it never will because it doesn't affect the part causing the E74. Get a headgun and use it to reflow the ANA/HANA chip, be sure to wrap the surrounding capacitors in tinfoil to protect them.

The one with the drive that will not open should be repairable as well, have you tried ejecting it with the metal case removed to see what messes up? I know Samsungs have a habit of having the elastic band connecting the motor to the tray eject go bad, try getting a new band.

I'm pretty sure for the price of a heatgun and an elastic band you could have 2 working 360's, with no mucking around with drive spoofing.

#13 jradicle11

jradicle11

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:07 PM

Where would I get a heatgun and an elastic band from?

#14 jradicle11

jradicle11

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:54 PM

I took the case off of the disc drive, it doesn't open. The 360 just says "Opening" then "Closing" then "Opening" again and will just say at that. I have a disc in the drive, nothing is happening with it.

It looks like the thing the disc sits on to spin is receded into the system so the disc isn't even touching it.

#15 whyexactly

whyexactly

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:59 PM

The elastic could be gotten from a computer store, the heatgun from any hardware store. Though it's sounding like your drive is even more messed up than I thought. Does the drive at least try to open?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users