Photo

Going On Xblive With Out A Disc Drive Installed...no More Ban?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 elblaze25

elblaze25

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:32 AM

ok so ive been wondering.... since the 360 can turn on and function normally without a drive connected (except for reading discs, of course). And microsoft bans us because they detect the firmware in our drive. what would happen if i go on live with my drive disconnected? Came here because maybe one or two of you has already tried this.. I dont want to try it since i only got 1 console and im broke and without a job.so i cant afford another console at the moment..i managed to get offline before the ban wave started..so im still "not banned"

so if any of you guys got the monies to afford this test..(in case it goes bad) let me know the results.

#2 iateshaggy

iateshaggy

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:48 AM

nb4 the lock.

#3 jetracer

jetracer

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:10 AM

that would prolly be an instant ban.. and i read c4eva say the fw is not detectable..

Edited by jetracer, 05 December 2009 - 04:11 AM.

#4 elblaze25

elblaze25

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:17 AM

QUOTE(iateshaggy @ Dec 5 2009, 03:48 AM) View Post

nb4 the lock.

What?

and jetracer.. why would that be instan ban?

#5 jetracer

jetracer

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:19 AM

QUOTE(elblaze25 @ Dec 5 2009, 04:17 AM) View Post

What?

and jetracer.. why would that be instan ban?

thats part of the reason we were banned.. from what i remember reading. turning on or connecting to live without the dvd drive plugged in. and its in b4 the ban is what he meant.

#6 BigSteel

BigSteel

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:25 AM

Why the heck would you want to go on Live with no drive attached? Obviously you are not talking about a Live game, but something thru the dashboard. But why would you want to do this anyway?

#7 elblaze25

elblaze25

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 05:25 AM

QUOTE(BigSteel @ Dec 5 2009, 04:25 AM) View Post

Why the heck would you want to go on Live with no drive attached? Arcade games can still be played...with no drive attached. Obviously you are not talking about a Live game, but something thru the dashboard. But why would you want to do this anyway? If we are able to go online like this and not get banned. it could prove something (i dont know what yet, but it might be helpful later on)

Does that answer your questions?

#8 nuzz

nuzz

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:20 AM

Imo if you would this with a 'clean' xbox you won't get banned.
Its possible your dvddrive is broken and you play only arcade games.

edit:
Does it even boot without a drive?

Edited by nuzz, 05 December 2009 - 07:21 AM.

#9 elblaze25

elblaze25

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:26 AM

Yes it does.

#10 Kaisonic

Kaisonic

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:59 AM

QUOTE(nuzz @ Dec 5 2009, 01:20 AM) View Post

Imo if you would this with a 'clean' xbox you won't get banned.
Its possible your dvddrive is broken and you play only arcade games.

edit:
Does it even boot without a drive?

MS would never buy that.

But, using my Xeno Top Gear, I was doing a lot of game dumping while playing Arcade games online (essentially the DVD drive was not plugged in) and I'm not banned yet. Of course this is the console I bought after my previous one was banned during the wave...

#11 Analyzer52

Analyzer52

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:05 PM

QUOTE(iateshaggy @ Dec 4 2009, 09:48 PM) View Post

nb4 the lock.

Means in before the thread gets locked. By in he means making a post.

NO you should not do it for the same reasons you shouldn't flash using the console it triggers a flag that the console has been on with no disk drive which makes MS think you have been modding. I won't do it.

Edited by Analyzer52, 05 December 2009 - 07:06 PM.

#12 Toddler

Toddler

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 08:40 PM

I really can't see Microsoft banning 360s based solely on a DVD drive failure. That would be an instant lawsuit waiting to happen. By itself, a dead DVD doesn't necessarily indicate modding, it only indicates a hardware failure. If your drive dies, you can still play all of your arcade games, Netflix, stream media files, Facebook, Twitter, etc. For Microsoft to institute an across-the-board ban in such a circumstance would be stupid and, I suspect, illegal in most countries. Just because one component fails doesn't justify deliberately killing the entire unit. When it comes down to it, I just don't believe Microsoft would be that short-sighted.

#13 garyopa

garyopa

X-S Genius

• Admin
  • 753 posts
  • Interests:Embedded Hardware and Firmware
  • Xbox Version:v1.6d
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:11 PM

QUOTE(Toddler @ Dec 5 2009, 02:40 PM) View Post

I really can't see Microsoft banning 360s based solely on a DVD drive failure. That would be an instant lawsuit waiting to happen. By itself, a dead DVD doesn't necessarily indicate modding, it only indicates a hardware failure. If your drive dies, you can still play all of your arcade games, Netflix, stream media files, Facebook, Twitter, etc. For Microsoft to institute an across-the-board ban in such a circumstance would be stupid and, I suspect, illegal in most countries. Just because one component fails doesn't justify deliberately killing the entire unit. When it comes down to it, I just don't believe Microsoft would be that short-sighted.

But ever time you boot up a console, it checks for the dvd drive on start-up and if not found, it increases an error counter located in the "secdata", so when you connect to live M$ knows that you have turned on your machine X number of times without the drive, and that can be used as a factor on banning you, and for sure can be used to not honor the warranty as even a non-reading drive will at least reply to the console.

M$ is pure-evil that is for sure.

#14 Toddler

Toddler

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:04 AM

A non-reading drive vs. a dead drive...two Xbox1 units went out with dead drives, so it's certainly possible to happen (although when that happened, Xbox1 just gave me an E code and a red screen if I recall correctly). The 360 chugs along happily without a drive, and it would be pretty shitty to ban a box due to a hardware failure like that. Not saying they can't, just saying I'd be surprised if they chose to. I'm not addressing any kind of scenario where someone would selectively enable or disable the drive, that could create an easily discernable pattern they'd be justified in banning.

I suppose now that I read the OP's question again, he's already been playing wtih fire, and he's thinking if he completely disconnects his drive, it might somehow prevent him from getting the ban he's probably achieved already. In that case, I'd say flashing back to stock is a better option, if there is any hope for him anyway.

#15 Antman1

Antman1

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 06 December 2009 - 01:46 PM

I have an xbox that was missing the DVD Key and I put it together as a Netflix machine. It has been up and running since NXE came out without a DVD Drive. I have not been banned. It is used only to stream netflix only. so to conclude it has been over a year without a DVD Drive and even with the latest hit of bans it has not been banned. Not sure but I think it is safe to say they dont look at that. And that would be a lawsuit in my opinion. How many people have had something that didnt turn on when you hit the power button then you unplugged it or waited and it turned on and it worked? The same thing could happen to a DVD Rom drive and then BAM. Microsoft bans the person because the drive timed out when the console was checking for it. That would eventually catch up with them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users