avineyard

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:31 AM

I came by several minutes ago to do my periodic check of the main pages update and my window went from being a full screen window to a third screen, and gave me the infamous "Your pc may be infected. Press ok for free scan!" I clicked ok, told Firefox I wanted to go back a page, clicked ok to the prompt (if you read the print in their prompt it says press ok to leave this page, press cancel to stay) and when I go back I am looking at XBS again but my antivirus is warning me that there is a program trying to install itself to my computer!? I've hit these stupid little nets all over the internet before but never from somewhere I frequent and have 0 troubles with before. Here's a screen shot of what I was looking at:
IPB Image

I don't assume this to be an XBS problem, but I'm curious if anyone else has ran into this when visiting this site?

#2 postal worker

postal worker

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:43 AM

never had this before...sure its the site and not malware already on computer?

but i would recommend installing adblock plus w/element hiding and noscript.

noscript allowing you to choose if you will all that website to run any kind of javascript or flash.

#3 lcollier93

lcollier93

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:50 AM

YES! I got this about 2 hours ago. My virus software came up with an alert for a file in the mozilla temporary folder so i deleted it.

#4 red_ring_of_box

red_ring_of_box

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 05 December 2009 - 05:04 AM

I recently got a nice little False Alert Trojan in my computer and all I have been doing is going to this site, youtube, and my email for the past few days, though when I was at a pspquake source code download from sourceforge and the sourceforge page would not load, though it did download the source and soon enough the YOUR COMPUTER IZ INFECTED BY TeH HAXORS shit started up but 4 full scans of all my computer's partitions and 8 hours later I think I finally killed it. Thank God for Malwarebytes.

#5 blong579

blong579

X-S Senior Member

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 05:32 AM

same here. just went back to the main page and boom avg popped up

threat detected

file name: mascan12info/25/27-090wL1QzL1EzL==

threat name: Exploit Rogue scanner (type 836)

i too am running firefox

#6 avineyard

avineyard

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 05:36 AM

In response to the noscript and other recommendations, its appreciated but I am not concerned enough to do anything about it. I only wanted to know if it was something to do with my machine or possibly xbox-scene. It sounds like it could be related to the scene if others are experiencing the same problem.

#7 No_Name

No_Name

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 06:54 AM

Infected adds can set off those alerts.

Addblock FTW

#8 avineyard

avineyard

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:33 AM

Infected ads? I've not heard of this type of problems. Any inklings as to what ads might be setting these off for x-s?

#9 bonneville1992

bonneville1992

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 05:17 PM

i also had this happen to me just a few hours ago. wonder what the hell is going on. really wierd.

#10 eyric101

eyric101

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 December 2009 - 05:43 PM

I also had this. I recomend nobody ever click any buttons when something like that pops up. Always use ALT-F4 or click the x to close...More times then i can count, I have had to remove adware because the scripter did some tricky button switching.

#11 avineyard

avineyard

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 08:06 PM

I wasn't to concerned about infection (worse case scenario I re-image which I'm due for anyhow), and I wanted to make sure I didn't go to a site other than what I thought I was going to. I'm curious if anyone has noticed what kind of ads are running when this problem kicks off?

#12 avineyard

avineyard

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 05:27 AM

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Just got tagged again. This time I grabbed the sequence... no real benefit from it but I did find it funny that it says I'm running IE8 and OS is Vista tongue.gif

I'd love for whatever ad or code is doing this to get found. Keeps impeding my frontpage reading smile.gif

#13 No_Name

No_Name

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:26 AM

QUOTE(avineyard @ Dec 4 2009, 10:33 PM) View Post

Infected ads? I've not heard of this type of problems. Any inklings as to what ads might be setting these off for x-s?

Have you been living under a stone??

Attacks on sites with adds have hit the mainstream news in the last few months.

I cant give you an idea of what add it might be but thats because I use add block plus on firefox.

avineyard, when a random dialog box pops up telling you your comuter is infected ignore it.

I hope all of you are running an updated virus scanner as they will block most of these infected adds.

Edited by No_Name, 06 December 2009 - 06:28 AM.

#14 XanTium

XanTium

Xanta Powa!

• Admin
  • 3,110 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:14 AM

yes, we are aware of this ... it's done by an ad/banner. But it's very hard to find out which one as we run with several ad-networks (only big ones tho, so this crap shouldn't happen). The ad networks have been removed from the main site atm, does this still occur to anyone? (seems to be only US or N-American visitors)

give us as much information as possible if this happens to you (when, what page did u try to load, did u see any banners?)

#15 avineyard

avineyard

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:27 AM

QUOTE(No_Name @ Dec 5 2009, 10:26 PM) View Post

Have you been living under a stone??

Attacks on sites with adds have hit the mainstream news in the last few months.

I cant give you an idea of what add it might be but thats because I use add block plus on firefox.

avineyard, when a random dialog box pops up telling you your comuter is infected ignore it.

I hope all of you are running an updated virus scanner as they will block most of these infected adds.

I'm fully aware of the premise of these prompts. I simply didn't know where to make the suggestion or comment about this event to the XS mods. Though I'm glad everyone is looking at this topic like I'm a jumbo retard haha. Thanks to whomever moved this topic to the proper forum, I just happened to not see this one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users