lordkramdar

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:15 AM

boy... it's looking pretty bare nowadays around the old xbox 1 forums.

so i've been using meka x as my sms emulator, and i want to start using it for game gear games.
the only problem is that some sms games share names with gg games.

so i wanted to use a seperate emu for game gear, to have a seperate saves /screenshots folder and seperate emu settings. but all the other emu's for sms/gg suck besides meka x.

so i'm wondering if there is a way to have 2 instances of meka x installed on your xbox, but with them pointing to different paths that store 2 different meka_x.ini files.

changing the save directory only changes where .sram and state files are saved. the meka_x.ini settings file is always in :/Saves/MEKA_X.

so even if i have two different meka x's in different paths (i.e. /Emulators/Master System & /Emulators/Game Gear), both emu's will point to the one ini file in /Saves/MEKA_X

if this makes sense to anyone, could you give me a word of advice?
i had a hard time explaining this, so i hope someone knows what i'm talking about.

thanks!

#2 cbagy

cbagy

X-S Genius

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Nothing legal probably !
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 06 December 2009 - 04:34 AM

I think (note i "think") you need to edit the xbe. You will need to edit a copy of the xbe and change its TDATA and UDATA save directories. This may produce what you need. Haven't done it myself for a long time but there are users here on this forum who do this often. Ask about.

#3 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 06 December 2009 - 04:35 AM

I'm almost positive I've heard that you can use a hex editor on the XBE to make separate instances, but I wouldn't know where to do it.

That's something that I always hated too, but I got around it by renaming everything so it'd be different. You probably wouldn't like my naming conventions for alternate systems on the same emu, but we're hoping to use the full name from the synopsis file as a choice of display name when all is said and done, so they shouldn't be a problem.

It's actually not dead here. Still lots of development. You just seem to have come on a really bad week. I don't know why it's been so quiet here recently. There has been a ton of activity here until the last week or so.

Later,
~Rx

#4 lordkramdar

lordkramdar

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:37 PM

so what would be the traditional way of editing the xbe? do i need the xbox sdk or whatever? i've never fooled around with that, so i don't know if i could attempt that correctly.

i thought about using a hex editor but there's so much shit to look through, but i'll check out that avenue.

but let's say that i did find it through the hex editor, all i would have to change is the TDATA & UDATA folders (just make up a numbered name for the save file?), and change the .ini path right?

thanks, guys.

yeah i haven't frequented the forums in a long ass time. ever since i first got into modding. lately though, i've been going through and trying to update my emu's. skins, paths, video previews all that fun stuff.

i tried looking, but is there an updated SMSplus emu? i forget the version number, but let's just say it was not on par with the newest releases of other emu's. of course, this was in the "usual places", which i don't know if that gets updated with newer emu's (because mednafenx_nes 10.5 is not on there), so maybe i just need to look somewhere else?

if there's an updated SMSplus that has the functionality of newer emu's, then that solves my problem right there.

#5 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:04 PM

You need the XDK if you're going to alter the source.

Hex Editor would probably be WAY easier than trying to mod your box into a debug box.

Actually, I'm not sure if there are TDATA and UDATA folders for the XPORT emus. I'm not aware of any, but that doesn't mean anything.

I think you'd just have to alter the SAVES folder and that should work. It's located in E:\SAVES\(whatever emu you're using)

If you've got a large hard drive, you should check out my thread in my signature. Lots of cool stuff to be found there.

Good luck,
~Rx

#6 Likklebaer

Likklebaer

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:09 PM

It's easy to do. Just open up the .xbe file in a decent hex editor, search for all instances of E:\SAVES\MEKAX, and replace them with E:\SAVES\MEKAG (or something). Then save the new xbe. You now have 2 separate emulators.

It would be good if the upcoming madmab editions of these emulators were split by default. Just makes the most sense however you look at it.

#7 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:23 PM

Thanks for telling him exactly how to do it. I don't know enough about that.

I think it would be cool to have the option to run the emulator as a specific emu instead of a system, but it doesn't need to be the default option. That could be messy if there were now 3 different emulators for the GBA and SMS/GG/SG-1000 just to separate them.

I think it would be nice if you were using the GBA emulator and had the default choice of all systems, but if you desired, you'd be able to switch between 4 options. All, GB, GBC, GBA. Each one of these choices would change the folder the saves went in for that particular emulator.

I know not everyone is going to take the time and effort to use my Xtras, but you really dont' need anything split up when using them. If we get the ability to display the full name from the synopsis instead of the file name, than there would really be no reason at all to split the emulators. That is, unless you like having a different skin for each hand-held/console as you were using them.

#8 lordkramdar

lordkramdar

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:50 PM

QUOTE(ressurectionx @ Dec 6 2009, 03:04 PM) View Post

Actually, I'm not sure if there are TDATA and UDATA folders for the XPORT emus. I'm not aware of any, but that doesn't mean anything.

If you've got a large hard drive, you should check out my thread in my signature. Lots of cool stuff to be found there.

Good luck,
~Rx

well some emu's do put their own folders into TDATA & UDATA, but i don't believe it contains any settings, since those are handled by emu.ini. but just to be safe, if i'm able to hex edit, i'll change the T & UDATA folders anyway.

and i was actually just checking that thread out, but i don't have the money to buy a bigger HDD for my box. cruddy!

QUOTE(Likklebaer @ Dec 6 2009, 03:09 PM) View Post

It's easy to do. Just open up the .xbe file in a decent hex editor, search for all instances of E:\SAVES\MEKAX, and replace them with E:\SAVES\MEKAG (or something). Then save the new xbe. You now have 2 separate emulators.

AWESOME!

thanks guys for the help, and hopefully i'll be frequenting the forums more and talk to you gentlemen again.

#9 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:55 PM

Careful their friend....

Ms Likklebaer doesn't take to kind to being mistaken for the inferior sex cool.gif

#10 lordkramdar

lordkramdar

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:07 PM

hahaha oops.

"hopefully i will talk to you gentlemen and one lady again."

a chick who mods though? how awesome. most girls i know can't even get through the first level of Super Mario Bros 1.

#11 run088

run088

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  • Interests:rebuilding broken xboxes

Posted 07 December 2009 - 03:42 AM

Easiest way is to use xbmc and cut files. A folder for master system and a folder for gamegear and even another folder for sg1000 the other system it emulates. You can use rx dat files to fill the set then use bomb bloke's shortcut creator and be done with it. This is the best way to run your emulators anyway and most certainly the most uniform look to umbrella all your emulators under. You can use rx's screenshots and wide icons and have a pretty complete set. About 90% of the screenshots are there. It should not take long to replace what it misses. You can keep the actual roms together still as rx's naming convention makes the games names different. The same goes for the saves folder. I for one am a big fan of cutfiles since it makes your emulators appear just like your xbox games do. Only thing that needs to be seperated is the folders for each emulators cutfiles.

#12 lordkramdar

lordkramdar

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 06:29 PM

once again, thanks for all the help. i used a hex editor to change all the paths to point to "MEKAG" instead of "MEKAX". working perfectly. my master system is now seperated from my game gear and my OCDness can rest in peace.

#13 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 06:47 PM

Glad it worked for you bro.

Seriously though...

Get saving for that 500GB hard drive

You're going to be blown away by the Xtras releases coming out in a few months.

You'll have to name all of your roms to my names with datfiles to get everything to work without having to rename a million things, but hopefully we get the ability to display the "Synopsis" name instead of the file name and then it's a moot point because the file name will only be as important as a genric MAME name. You'll have all of your games playing in one emulator, but they're separated by category perfectly for each system the way I have them set up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users