weinerschnitzel

X-S Senior Member

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:20 AM

For those of you out there who are installing their XDKs on Windows 7: You may realize that Xbox Neighborhood doesn't work at all. This is not something that can be solved by giving a shortcut a proper target with syswow64/explorer.exe. If you search your registry for Xbox Neighborhood or xbshlext.dll you will find the same set of letters and numbers {DB15FEDD-96B8-4DA9-97E0-7E5CCA05CC44}. Running the shortcut will give you an error message saying "The file does not have a program associated with it..." This would have to mean that the shell extension will work with Windows 7, even in WOW64. But there is a work around if your PC is capable.

Windows XP Mode!
http://www.microsoft...c/download.aspx

Install Windows XP Mode first, and then the associated Windows Virtual PC. If you have any older version of Virtual PC, you will need to uninstall it in order for Windows XP Mode to work.

Xbox Neighborhood

Open Windows XP Mode to Bring up your Virtual PC.

From there open My Computer then "C on MYPC"

Browse to \\tsclient\C\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Xbox SDK\xbox\bin

Run XBSESetup.exe

Xbox Neighborhood will install and you can access it on Windows 7 from Start Menu>All Programs>Windows Virtual PC>Windows XP Mode Applications

Fully Compatible XDK

Copy your VS .NET 2003 install files to your Windows XP Mode VPC (by browsing from within it) or use installation discs

Install VS .NET 2003 on Windows XP Mode

Install XDK on Windows XP Mode

#2 Hyper_Eye

Hyper_Eye

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:02 PM

When installed this way does the debugger properly access the Xbox? I have Windows XP installed in a virtual machine (virtualbox) on my main Linux desktop. I have a full development environment there including the 5933 XDK. The way the network interface works in one of these configurations is that the virtual machine provides dhcp to it and it gets an IP address on its own subnet. The virtual machine then handles routing traffic from it through the system eth interface. When I open the Xbox Neighborhood browser I do not see my console. If I manually input the IP address it will successfully find it and it remains there after. I can browse it and copy files back and forth, take screenshots, etc. When I compile an Xbox app MSVC will also automatically send the app to the Xbox if I have the project configured for it to do that. Unfortunately I can't start the debugger. When I go to debug I get an error:

CODE
"Unable to start debugging. Unable to start programe 'xe:\"Program Dir"\"Program XBE.xbe". The remote machine is not responding."

That is the same error you receive if there is no Xbox at all. I am wondering if this is caused by the differing subnet. The only Windows machine I have is a dual-boot laptop that has Windows 7 on it. I am considering installing my development setup there and trying it because I really need to be able to run the debugger. Do you have to have Windows 7 Pro to run the Windows XP compatibility mode? I thought that was one of the features of the pro version. My system is running Windows 7 Premium. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

#3 Hyper_Eye

Hyper_Eye

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:21 PM

I was able to get passed this issue by setting VirtualBox to provide a bridged network connection. I can now start the debugger.

#4 sirlemonhead

sirlemonhead

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 13 February 2010 - 06:38 PM

That's all totally dependent on you having the right version of windows 7 and hardware that supports the virtualised xp mode..

Is there any way to tell the xbox tools where the xbox is? Ie specify the ip address for it so visual studio can copy across the .xbe properly?

#5 sirlemonhead

sirlemonhead

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 13 February 2010 - 06:57 PM

Ok found it myself

What i've done:

Install the xbox neighborhood

Open the registry editor (click Start button, type "regedit.exe" into search box) (i'm sure you guys know where this is anyway tongue.gif)

Go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER->Software->Microsoft->XboxSDK and add a new string called "XboxName" without the quotes, then edit it and enter your xboxes ip address.

Visual studio will now send the .xbe over automatically when it's done building

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users